Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ok little stressed out

ok little stressed out

Old Apr 10th 2012, 7:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ok little stressed out

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I think the dental voucher was only for teens. So younger kids dont get it.

Will probably disappear for teens too, in the budget.
Really, ok, didn't know that. Wouldn't be surprised if it does go. But anyway $300 for a basic checkup seems mad.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 7:09 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritAus
Nah. Those who don't risk anything, do nothing, become nothing.
The poster and her 4 kids are all Australian citizens. Worst comes to the worst they won't be allowed to starve.
Worst case is they have a crappy few years eating all the 'value' brand foods, buying clothes in charity shops and wearing hand me down clothes....which a generation ago was pretty much the norm here in the UK.

I'm not saying that would be fun but if the family keep the love then struggling for a few years is easuly doable in any country. Its exactly the same as if the hubby/father has to take a 50% lower income in the UK which IS happening to families here in the UK and worse.

Now if the poster and her kids weren't Australian Citizens then I'd say it was waaay too much of a gamble but as Aussie citizens you'll never be left for dead & if you're pulling in $60k you'll survive easy - survive with basics. which is what most families did in the UK and Australua and all accross Europe & probably the world until the last few generations.
When I was a kid we didnt have a TV, too pricey, had one holiday a year -3weeks in a tent in Cornwall cooking our own food etc... And had great times.
You can get by on very little if you need to and things do pick up & opportunities appear.
$60k per year is an estimate of what he could potentially make. If he gets a job. If he gets a job earning $90k before tax.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Really, ok, didn't know that. Wouldn't be surprised if it does go. But anyway $300 for a basic checkup seems mad.

We are paying $160 each, but X rays on top.

But there is a kids orthodontist on the main drag that had a sign outside, $270 for a check up and clean. Serioulsy it said you got a free toothbrush with it.

Highway robbery, and you probably wouldnt get your kids back either till you had signed up for a 10k set of braces
Old Apr 10th 2012, 12:26 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I was unemployed for 3 months and the Centrelink payment didn't go very far, hence what savings I did have was wiped out by trying to bolster the money up then finding bond, removal expenses, etc. I got a job earning $50,000 gross, then rented in Sydney as a singleton - no benefits available to singles and I found it pretty hard going.

You could go for the experience, though whether it's a "better" life for the kids is debatable.

Good luck and I do hope it all works out for you.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

BritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really niceBritAus is just really nice

Maybe the OP should retrain as a dentist or dental nurse before heading out - or do it once there.
Its like being a real tooth fairy !!!!!
Old Apr 10th 2012, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Not disagreeing with the sentiment but the above, really? How? Daughter had a check up, a bit of a clean, used the Dental Voucher and paid no more. Sounds like a very over priced dentist to me. (and in the country of expensive dentistry, that's saying something!)
What's a dental voucher? Been here a long time and never had one?
Old Apr 10th 2012, 10:37 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macy
What's a dental voucher? Been here a long time and never had one?
Jad was right, it's a teenage thing. Gets sent out to each teenager at the beginning of the year from Medicare. Allows one basic check up to a value of $160. Only been happening the past three years as far as I can remember.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 1:16 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Jad was right, it's a teenage thing. Gets sent out to each teenager at the beginning of the year from Medicare. Allows one basic check up to a value of $160. Only been happening the past three years as far as I can remember.
Hey! I've got teenagers and never had one. I'll have to ask at the Medicare office when I'm there next week.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 1:28 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Hey! I've got teenagers and never had one. I'll have to ask at the Medicare office when I'm there next week.
I did wonder if it was a QLD thing but the voucher definitely says Medicare Australia, Aus Gov. http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/...een-dental.jsp
Old Apr 12th 2012, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
We got the teenage voucher for the first child.Havent been sent one for the other teenager yet.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

nandnor has a spectacular aura aboutnandnor has a spectacular aura aboutnandnor has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by nolan8
ok I have aussie passports, kids aussie passports are underway, and spousal visa is underway.
We currently live in a very very small house in uk (renting) we have four kiddies 10 being the eldest.
OH is hoping to apply for jobs prior to our move, and with his experience and stuff we are looking at a salary around 60,000.00
I will be looking for work once kiddies are sorted at school.
we will obviously be renting in Perth and by the looks of it will be paying a little more for a house four times the size.
We are bringing nothing with us (everything we own is just not worth it)
We are hoping to have around $20,000.00 with us to get started.
ARE WE MAD.
We live a fairly good life here, we love walks, parks, and beaches (just dont get the weather for it here)
We will not need to budget for holidays, big theme park days, and are happy with second hand cars.
We eat well, but live on a very strict budget.
I am soooo scared that the cost of living will be too much of a killer, however i know the lifestyle will be soooooo much better.
The kiddies are very excited, and so is my family (who live in Perth)
Are we mad to do this on a small very small tiny small budget
Originally Posted by jad n rich
Was thinking that 60k for a family of 6 would be a hideous struggle.

But if the OP husband is an engineer, then maybe she means pounds not dollars.

I would be very wary of relying on family benefit, if hes an engineer, the family will probably fall into that lucky tax bracket the govt calls rich, the famiy who is hit with every tax and levy as they are so erm rich

Claim tax benefit after you know your final annual income, that way they wont be able to claim it all back off you, and the govt here has access to everything financial you do.
Haha, you guys need a 2nd world perspective. From East Europe, guys come to Aus with 1k. Plenty to stay in hostel and get work, and get going
Old Apr 12th 2012, 10:20 pm
Still alive

Originally Posted by nandnor
Haha, you guys need a 2nd world perspective. From East Europe, guys come to Aus with 1k. Plenty to stay in hostel and get work, and get going
Sure they do. But not with 4 kids in tow that need feeding and sheltering.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 10:24 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nandnor
As you have such a lot of advice to give......Why not tell us about your experience then?
Old Apr 12th 2012, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

Butterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nolan8
wow thanks soo much for all your comments, we have taken them all on board, we currently live well and surrvive on uk 26,000.00 so thats not a huge amount of money.
we are realistic in knowing that australia is not the land of dreams, however we are both hard workers and love the outdoor (free activity) life, we love socializing with people and are great at sticking to a budget (we still manage to save money on our current income)

I think we will rethink bringing stuff with us, however so many conflicting views on white goods, flat screen tvs etc.

The earnings of $60,000 was a take home estimate not gross, so thats after super, medicare and tax.... and thats just one salary, i am hoping to work also and make up the fun money.

We dont holiday now and dont mind driving old bangers
I would def re-think taking all your things, as much as possible and like someone else said replacing as and when you have to or can. re-furnishing looks VERY expensive, we looked into it years ago and said ouch.
Just make sure everything is spotlessly cleaned, can't tell you how many people have almost strangled me the amount of times i've been told that
Old Apr 13th 2012, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

nandnor has a spectacular aura aboutnandnor has a spectacular aura aboutnandnor has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Grayling
As you have such a lot of advice to give......Why not tell us about your experience then?
Haha ill tell you when i get there. But just saying - you guys are all from a first world country so you look at things a bit differently. But remember all the people coming from 2nd world countries - it would take forever to even save 20k. So they come with a much smaller bank account, live frugally to start off, and with hard work still get a good life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.