Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ok if not Byron Bay how about mackay??

Ok if not Byron Bay how about mackay??

Old Sep 6th 2007, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

mike-Ju will become famous soon enoughmike-Ju will become famous soon enough
Default Ok if not Byron Bay how about mackay??

A couple of weeks ago my dreams of going to Byron were smashed when I found out it was a bit of a crappy place to bring up kids in AU, or so everyone on this site said, fair enough I havent been there since 1991.

So how about Mackay, I stayed there once and loved it, strangely enough it was at a real low point in my trip around Australia, it reminded me of home, being a little town.

Whats it like now? and is it a good place for kids and chef and a child care co-ordinator?

Last edited by mike-Ju; Sep 6th 2007 at 5:53 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 8:24 am
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice
Smile Re: Ok if not Byron Bay how about mackay??

I was going to suggest Coffs Harbour, but like yourself I haven't been there for years.

Sounds like you need to take time out to travel up the cost a bit. Check some places out and all that.

I',m kind of in the same boat as your selfs, looking for that magic town we can call home... If I find it I'll let you know. Actually I might just keep it a secret.....
Old Sep 7th 2007, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Ok if not Byron Bay how about mackay??

Originally Posted by TheSubMainMan
I was going to suggest Coffs Harbour, but like yourself I haven't been there for years.

Sounds like you need to take time out to travel up the cost a bit. Check some places out and all that.

I',m kind of in the same boat as your selfs, looking for that magic town we can call home... If I find it I'll let you know. Actually I might just keep it a secret.....
I didnt really stop in Coffs harbour? But if I dont find a nice little town its going to be Sydney Im not sure I can live in a big city
Old Sep 7th 2007, 2:05 pm
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice
Smile Re: Ok if not Byron Bay how about mackay??

Originally Posted by mike-Ju
I didnt really stop in Coffs harbour? But if I dont find a nice little town its going to be Sydney Im not sure I can live in a big city
Well why not head the other way with Cairns as your plan B?

Too hot? too humid? may be the crocodiles will eat the kids Bonus!

We know it will be different up there, but different is what we're after. It's worth checking out, at least put it on your list of palaces to consider. Do a little research.

Always options, like a kid in a sweet shop. Give em' something and they say "thanks". Let them choose and you get problems!!! Sorry, just a thought that came in to my head Totaly unhelpful so ignore it!.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TheSubMainMan
Well why not head the other way with Cairns as your plan B?

Too hot? too humid? may be the crocodiles will eat the kids Bonus!

We know it will be different up there, but different is what we're after. It's worth checking out, at least put it on your list of palaces to consider. Do a little research.

Always options, like a kid in a sweet shop. Give em' something and they say "thanks". Let them choose and you get problems!!! Sorry, just a thought that came in to my head Totaly unhelpful so ignore it!.
Cairns is too humid for my husband, I quite liked it up there but Townsville was better, but Ive heared lots of people slagging it off so still not sure
Old Sep 8th 2007, 12:41 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

I would think you need to go to the places personally to make your own mind up. Its all well and good at listening to others slag places off, but there are plenty of people living in all the places you mention so I am sure one or two must like them for their own reasons.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

sam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nice

Originally Posted by mike-Ju
A couple of weeks ago my dreams of going to Byron were smashed when I found out it was a bit of a crappy place to bring up kids in AU, or so everyone on this site said, fair enough I havent been there since 1991.

So how about Mackay, I stayed there once and loved it, strangely enough it was at a real low point in my trip around Australia, it reminded me of home, being a little town.

Whats it like now? and is it a good place for kids and chef and a child care co-ordinator?
mackay is good! there busy building a large lagoon style pool on the banks of the pioneer river!!! should be finished in march!! and they have developed the marina with plush bars and diners!!! top place its a developing town get in quick b4 prices go nutty ! plenty work too!!
Old Sep 14th 2007, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

jimbo2055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

My wife and I are going out to Mackay on the 19th sept for a week as I have had a job offer out there. Will hopefully be able to give some feedback about area schools etc in a couple of weeks
Old Sep 15th 2007, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jimbo2055
Hi

My wife and I are going out to Mackay on the 19th sept for a week as I have had a job offer out there. Will hopefully be able to give some feedback about area schools etc in a couple of weeks
Chears that would be great