OK - here goes

Old Mar 26th 2004, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

CK2B will become famous soon enough
Default OK - here goes

Hi there,

After weeks of silently watching have decided its time to "go live" so please be gentle with me! Firstly thanks to all the regular posters for loads of informative information and also the humorous postings...

Had a few frantic weeks in January putting TRA & Vetassess applications together, got approval from both in 9 days (is this a record) and only took about 5 days to get all hubbys references from clients, suppliers, old employers, accountants, etc. as well as doing affidavit and getting everything certified (thankfully Ireland is a small place). We managed to get our main skilled -independent application in 2 days before hubby turned 40 avoiding having to put up bond! Now we just have to sit back and wait for the next 50 weeks to pass, easy!

Anyway no definite plans made, still undecided between Gold Coast and Perth. Hubby is self employed Painter & Decorator so looks like more job prospects on GC? Hoping to be in Oz by summer 2005.

Have told no-one yet of our plans, dreading telling my mum, I have 3 daughters that she adores so it won't be easy, we're saying nothing until we get the visas though.

Now I've taken the plunge you won't be able to shut me up so bye for now.

CK (the original).
Old Mar 26th 2004, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

pukka pom will become famous soon enoughpukka pom will become famous soon enough
Default Re: OK - here goes

Originally posted by CK2B
Hi there,

After weeks of silently watching have decided its time to "go live" so please be gentle with me! Firstly thanks to all the regular posters for loads of informative information and also the humorous postings...

Had a few frantic weeks in January putting TRA & Vetassess applications together, got approval from both in 9 days (is this a record) and only took about 5 days to get all hubbys references from clients, suppliers, old employers, accountants, etc. as well as doing affidavit and getting everything certified (thankfully Ireland is a small place). We managed to get our main skilled -independent application in 2 days before hubby turned 40 avoiding having to put up bond! Now we just have to sit back and wait for the next 50 weeks to pass, easy!

Anyway no definite plans made, still undecided between Gold Coast and Perth. Hubby is self employed Painter & Decorator so looks like more job prospects on GC? Hoping to be in Oz by summer 2005.

Have told no-one yet of our plans, dreading telling my mum, I have 3 daughters that she adores so it won't be easy, we're saying nothing until we get the visas though.

CK (the original).
Hi CK - firstly welcome aboard - I am new to this as well, only been here a couple of weeks. I can really appreciate how rushed you have been, just been through exactly the same! Frantic rush to get TRA in, it was submitted exactly a week ago, agent is hastling them already. My partner is 35 in April, and we need to get the application in before that, and we will have to pay the bond anyway, can't afford to lose 5 points. His is a Carpenter/Joiner but hasn't done this for a few years, currently a mechanical engineer, but he he is fully qualified in both so fingers crossed!!

Do you have an agent or did you manage on your own??

We too have 3 children (Under 5), 2 girls and a boy - hoping to settle in Brisbane - we have told our family now, not too bad, but Stu's brother is not impressed at all. Stu's Mum has Cancer and I really feel guilty about taking her Grandchildren away from her, but you only get one shot at your life, and shouldn't let others impact on major decisions such as this (a hard thing to say I know).

Anyway good luck with your application and keep us informed of your progress

S
Old Mar 26th 2004, 9:39 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi CK2B welcome to the forum
Old Mar 26th 2004, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Welcome CK2B.

Sounds like you've been busy, now it;s just the waiting!

Wouldn't have thought your husband should have too much difficulty here. House building is continuing unabated so I'd have though that trade was in great demand!

All the best
Old Mar 26th 2004, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Hi there,

CK (the original).
dont wait til u get the visas to tell your parents, you will be gone soon after that and it might have an effect on your relationship and on what terms you part on. Tell them now and let them get used to the idea. We did this and after the initial shock and disgust all parents involved are now ok about it, in fact they are completely chilled out and planning their first visit. Dont wait tell them now
Old Mar 26th 2004, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

bored brit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there ck2b welcome to the forum and trust me you will become addicated to this site .
What part of Ireland are you from I live just outside Belfast and am hoping to go to Melbourne all being well.
Old Mar 26th 2004, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

CK2B will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all the reponses and good wishes, it's great to be able to talk freely about our plans.

Andy - I'm sure you're right about telling people sooner rather then later, I suppose I'm just being a coward and there's always that 1% fear we won't get our visas.
My mum lives on her own and I know her health will not allow her to travel as far as Oz, I have thought of telling her we're only going for a few years to get her used to the idea gently. We will probably begin telling people later this year when we are nearer getting called for meds, etc. That'll give my mum at least a year to get used to everything.

We're also concerned about our plans getting out too early as hubby is self employed, we live in quite a small town where everyone knows everyone and we don't want him to lose out on potential work if people think we are about to move away. I'm also holding out for redundancy so lots of reasons to kept quiet for a few months more!!

Pukka Pom - we used an agency here in Ireland, Emerald Solutions, so far have been fantastic. My 3 daughters are aged 13, 10 & 8, told the eldest a few weeks ago and swore her to secrecy. If we move to Brisbane/GC area I'll be able to provide you with a babysitter!!

Nibbs - any idea on salaries/rates of pay for painters in WA? Thanks everyone

CK
Old Mar 26th 2004, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

pukka pom will become famous soon enoughpukka pom will become famous soon enough
Talking

If we move to Brisbane/GC area I'll be able to provide you with a babysitter!!

Like the sound of the above!!!!!!!!!!!

S
Old Mar 26th 2004, 5:40 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

any idea on salaries/rates of pay for painters in WA?
CK
Cant really help with WA, but the "official" OZ wide scale can be found here http://jobsearch.gov.au/joboutlook/d...&AscoCode=4421
Old Mar 26th 2004, 7:27 pm
still searching

woody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nice

must admit, i like yourself have only just started using the site. but it does become addictive reading
Old Mar 26th 2004, 8:24 pm
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi C2KB,

Wlcome to the forum which I'm sure will come to dominate your life

I don't have family in the UK (they live abroad) which I guess makes the move easier for me . If I did then I know that I'd REALLY struggle with telling them of my plans. I think that I'm getting old enough now where you begin to understand the emotional turmoil that grandparents must go through when their grandchildren leave for a better life.

Don't let me put you off, you absolutely have to give this a go otherwise you'll never regret it in the future, don't let anyone tell you that the exit will be easy

Just keep telling yourself that you're doing this for your kids. Always remember that there's a real strong support group out their in Aus exactly for people like us ! (it's a fact - just check out other various threads).

Good luck to you and your family. Use this forum as much as you can, it's a goldmine of information

Nobby....