Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oh no! Serious doubts again.

Oh no! Serious doubts again.

Old Aug 25th 2002, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

willywh3r3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oh no! Serious doubts again.

Originally posted by Neil:
Dotty,

Your
contribution is probably more useful than all the over optimistic ones, well at least
it balances those optimistic ones anyway. Thanks for the balance,

Neil
Rather than asking dotty not to post negative info, it will be good if someone who lives comfortably in Oz to put the facts like how easy to get a job, how much one can save, school, medical, etc. etc. It will give ideas for those migrant to be, to plan how to have a better living in Oz. Isn't this all that we want to have?

Regards,
Wil
Old Aug 25th 2002, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

micky will become famous soon enoughmicky will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by willywh3r3:

Rather than asking dotty not to post negative info, it will be good if someone who lives comfortably in Oz to put the facts like how easy to get a job, how much one can save, school, medical, etc. etc. It will give ideas for those migrant to be, to plan how to have a better living in Oz. Isn't this all that we want to have?

Regards,
Wil

Should this be another thread starter?
Roll in the replies.
Shona x
Old Aug 26th 2002, 12:58 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Regards,
Wil
Good idea same applies to those who are living comfortably in UK instead of the no hopers who seem to think they are coming to a land of plenty dream on.
Old Sep 7th 2002, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi, only daft old me again.
Waiting anyday on our visas....but.......yet again...................
should I stay or should I go?
I'm abit of an indecisive gal (aries). One day I'm going then the next I'm staying put.
Kids are settled here and, like me, change their minds depending how their day went!
So...why unsettle everybody to a life they might not like/adjust to?
Can't rent out as we need the equity to get flights etc.
Will definately not afford to buy back into the kind of house I'm in just now. I like where I live, would miss friends and family.
Point being - Hope everyone on this site has a very happy life where ever they go. I'm staying put for the time being.
Hubby just qualified as a Firefighter (too good/secure a job to just 'give up')

I just dont think I can do it.
Best of luck everyone,
love Shona xx
Old Sep 7th 2002, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

shaun/lor is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by micky:

hey thers a song there shona
look if you aint sure in your mind, and micky can live wherever you want too be then thats whats important.
hey if you save hard, then come and visit us it my be what you need to convince you.
dont give up on it just put it on a back burner, (no fireman pun intended) for now
good luck in anything you decide, i enjoyed are chat
shaun and lor xx
Old Sep 7th 2002, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

SuzeM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by micky:
I'm abit of an indecisive gal (aries). One day I'm going then the next I'm staying put.
Kids are settled here and, like me, change their minds depending how their day went!
Will definately not afford to buy back into the kind of house I'm in just now. I like where I live, would miss friends and family.
Point being - Hope everyone on this site has a very happy life where ever they go. I'm staying put for the time being.

Best of luck everyone,
love Shona xx
Sorry to hear of your turmoil Shona, must be really difficult for you. My situation is eased by the fact that i do have family in Oz, but like you I go through periods where I think we must be mad to give up all we've got going for us here. Whatever you decide I wish you luck and keep in touch, you can visit us in Sydney too!
Sue
Old Sep 7th 2002, 8:11 pm
Robert Edwards

Well at the very least Shona you have come to a conclusion taking into account those
things that are important to you and your family so no one can put you down for that.

Regards

Rob www.australianaustralia.com

"micky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> I just dont think I can do it.
    > Best of luck everyone, love Shona xx
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 7th 2002, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by micky:

Best of luck everyone,
love Shona xx
Sorry to hear your dilema. My hubby has always wanted to do this. He did the travelling thing, came back to do his nurse training with the intention of heading straight back out but low and behold he met me and the rest was history. Ah! I have wanted the same but I'm close to my mum and I have gone through the will I won't I countless times. My mum finally made my mind up when she gave me a little card which said amoungst other things, follow your dreams, life is too short.

I know how hard it must be to go out there but I think it is much harder to say you want to stay. Good luck what ever you decide.

Ginny
Old Sep 8th 2002, 6:03 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Shona - perfectly natural to think it through seriously and have doubts. Whatever you do, be certain to activate the visas before deadline by all of you taking a holiday in Aus, then you have 5 years more to really take the plunge. Maybe Aus will 'close' to immigration in the meantime - who knows? - but you'll still be able to go later without re-submitting PR application.

Don
Old Sep 9th 2002, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

willywh3r3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Any reason to close? Even, if it is only -maybe-?

Originally posted by pleasancefamily:
Maybe Aus will 'close' to immigration in the meantime - who knows? - but you'll still be able to go later without re-submitting PR application.

Don
Old Sep 9th 2002, 2:55 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Any reason to close? Even, if it is only -maybe-?
Even if the points system were not to be shut down, there are merits of getting a permanent visa now instead of waiting:

1) Your points decrease with age, with other things being equal.

2) The Skilled Occupations List (SOL) may be amended to exclude or penalize (points-wise) your occupation.

3) The skills assessment process may be altered (like the recent changes by the ACS to make it more difficult to gain a positive assessment).

4) Other "concessions" like recent Australian graduates, relatively low levels of English proficiency may be adjusted to raise to bar for aspiring immigrants.

Peter
Old Sep 9th 2002, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

adelaidegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by micky:

Shona, I'm so sorry to read that you are not going to come to Australia - especially when a lot of your indecision seems to be fuelled by Dotty, who really doesn't deserve to be living in this fantastic country. Why don't you contact FESA (the WA fire service) or visit their website www.fire.wa.gov.au to check out the criteria for applying as a firefighter with them. Worse case scenario, you come out on holiday to validate your visa, then when hubby has finished his training you can still come out here if you want to. I didn't leave the UK because I didn't like it, but for a sense of adventure. I live in Adelaide, have been here for 12 years, and last time I visited Britain (last Christmas) I cried when I got back, because I was so damn happy to be back on Aussie soil. It's a fantastic country if you come here with the right attitude.
Best of luck, adelaidegirl
Old Sep 9th 2002, 4:31 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Adelaide, have been here for 12 years, and last time I visited Britain (last Christmas) I cried when I got back, because I was so damn happy to be back on Aussie soil. It's a fantastic country if you come here with the right attitude.
Best of luck, adelaidegirl [/QUOTE]

It can be for some , I do think you are right over the top with I cried when I got back to Australia from UK so did we for opposite reasons.
Having seen Adelaide I cannot agree more it could make most cry seen more life in a morgue .City of churches not far wrong , filled with people praying to get out of it , spent the longest 2 weeks of my life there.
To give up good jobs and friends and family takes a lot of thinking about better to not to jump , than jump and fall.
Dotty or anyone else who has different opinions to you , has a right to say them .
""Dotty, who really doesn't deserve to be living in this fantastic country. ""
You should be ashamed of yourself to write crap like this, a more backward attitude is not possible , abuse may be the Australian way but not very grown up.

Old Sep 9th 2002, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

adelaidegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard:
I live in Adelaide, have been here for 12 years, and last time I visited Britain (last Christmas) I cried when I got back, because I was so damn happy to be back on Aussie soil. It's a fantastic country if you come here with the right attitude.
Best of luck, adelaidegirl
It can be for some , I do think you are right over the top with I cried when I got back to Australia from UK so did we for opposite reasons.
Having seen Adelaide I cannot agree more it could make most cry seen more life in a morgue .City of churches not far wrong , filled with people praying to get out of it , spent the longest 2 weeks of my life there.
To give up good jobs and friends and family takes a lot of thinking about better to not to jump , than jump and fall.
Dotty or anyone else who has different opinions to you , has a right to say them .
""Dotty, who really doesn't deserve to be living in this fantastic country. ""
You should be ashamed of yourself to write crap like this, a more backward attitude is not possible , abuse may be the Australian way but not very grown up.

Hark who's talking. I don;t quite get your purpose, you seem dedicated to knocking Australia at every opportunity. Anyway, let's just agree to disagree shall we. Adelaidegirl

[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 9th 2002, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi, daft me again.
Hubby was back this weekend and told him of my doubts.
(BTW - he's only got 1 more week to go & then he's finished his Fire brigade training. He can't transfer to Perth. He'd need to apply from scratch. We've already checked it out. Same with all the states in Oz.)

When the visas come in, hopefully any day now, we will DEFINATELY validate them to give me an extra few years to decide.

Last week was a no no. But today....well thats a different story.
I think I must suffer from S.A.D. Well in Glasgow thats most of the bloody year! Cos its p****** with rain, yet again. Worst summer for 68 years according to the weathermen.
And Inverness (near the Highlands) - 5 feet of water due to torrential rain and worse to come!!

Sorry for rabbiting on again.
Would the kind people of Perth (who have migrated from UK) please send me a PM with their e-mail address so that I can contact them privately.
That also includes any nutters from this forum to PM me (and you know who I mean)
Shona xxxxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.