Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

oh my god! whats a health undertaking?

oh my god! whats a health undertaking?

Old May 24th 2003, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

delia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default oh my god! whats a health undertaking?

please help, I don't know whats going on.

We received a yellow envelope this morning and got all excited thinking it was our pre-visa grant. It said that our application is likely to be successful subject to me filling in a health undertaking(form 815). I have to undertake to report to the health authority in perth within 4 weeks of arriving. It doesn't say why though. Does this mean there was something dodgy with my medical or as myself and my partner think, could it be that i am taking prescription medication for post natal depression?. They have even given us an initial entry date until 4th october 2004. Do you think I should be worried??????

Thanks

Delia, Dean and Max
Old May 24th 2003, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

Firstly chill out and congrats on your pre-grant.

We got the same thing but we reckon it was either Heather's occupation as a nurse (potential TB contact) or my single handed efforts to shore up the UK's tax income through smoking.

The annoying thing is the Doc doesn't tell you, but in theory if it's anything serious (i.e. warranting further medical investigation he should).

If your not in the medical profession and there is no history of things like TB etc it could be you PND medication. I really wouldn't worry too much though. You could always have your own medical done or better still see you GP just to be sure.

The one thing that is strange to me at least is that we were told our entry date was only 6 months after medicals. You guys have over a year!

Anyways that's just my advice. Maybe see you in Perth if we ever sell the bloody house!

best of luck

Nick, Heather & jack
Old May 24th 2003, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Daffy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: oh my god! whats a health undertaking?

Originally posted by delia

We received a yellow envelope this morning and got all excited thinking it was our pre-visa grant. It said that our application is likely to be successful subject to me filling in a health undertaking(form 815). I have to undertake to report to the health authority in perth within 4 weeks of arriving. It doesn't say why though. Does this mean there was something dodgy with my medical or as myself and my partner think, could it be that i am taking prescription medication for post natal depression?. They have even given us an initial entry date until 4th october 2004. Do you think I should be worried??????

Thanks

Delia, Dean and Max
Dear D, D and M

We had exactly the same happen to us. My husband is on prescription medication and has been requested to report for a medical when we arrive (just like you). The only problem was that we were told we had to be in Oz before 20 June giving us only 3 months to get our act together from receiving notification that we had been granted a pr visa.

No worries tho as we are on track (2 weeks and 3 days to go). Think I'll end up on prescription medication before then for major STRESS!!

Daffy
:scared: :scared:
Old May 24th 2003, 1:23 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: oh my god! whats a health undertaking?

Originally posted by delia

Thanks

Delia, Dean and Max

As far as I understand it.............

Firstly, it's nothing that's going to stop you going.

Health undertakings are required sometimes where there is a possible risk of one of the following (note, risk - it doen't mean that you or one of your family have tested positive for any of them):

inactive tuberculosis,
hepatitis B carrier status
hepatitis C or
HIV infection.

I fully expect us to need to sign up as well, my wife who's a nurse works with elderly rehab patients and years ago when I was a police officer I dealt with a nasty road accident that left me covered in blood from an HIV +ve victim. I had to have all the tests (all clear thankfully) but I'll probably need to do the undertaking thing because my medical records say that I have been tested. It doesn't alter your immigration status - it's just about monitoring.

If you are worried talk to your doc.

Regards

Perry