Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oh my god! First one seen in over 18mths!

Oh my god! First one seen in over 18mths!

Old Dec 29th 2004, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

Bella3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oh my god! First one seen in over 18mths!

Well we saw our first huntsman last night. I was in the kitchen and out of the corner of my eye there was the biggest spider I have ever seen. After firstly thinking 'holy c***p' I then shouted for the other half. When I explained it was a big spider he picked up his flip-flop - I then had to explain that it would be of no use when he saw the size of the bloody thing. My brave man sprayed it with practically a whole can of fly spray, and it finally died. This was after he sent me for the camera to take a picture. Weren't sure what it was but brought the pic to work today and the Aussies have confirmed it is a harmless huntsman (harmless as in the bite won't kill you but the heart attack from seeing it will!) One colleague even said I should have left it as it eats all the other bad spiders - like hell - there's no way I was having that live with us. :scared:
Attached Thumbnails Oh my god! First one seen in over 18mths!-untitled.jpg  
Old Dec 29th 2004, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Big Black spiders

Ciao Bella3

Impressive!
Old Dec 29th 2004, 5:18 am
rudo1ph

Default Re: Oh my god! First one seen in over 18mths!

Originally Posted by Bella3
Well we saw our first huntsman last night. I was in the kitchen and out of the corner of my eye there was the biggest spider I have ever seen. After firstly thinking 'holy c***p' I then shouted for the other half. When I explained it was a big spider he picked up his flip-flop - I then had to explain that it would be of no use when he saw the size of the bloody thing. My brave man sprayed it with practically a whole can of fly spray, and it finally died. This was after he sent me for the camera to take a picture. Weren't sure what it was but brought the pic to work today and the Aussies have confirmed it is a harmless huntsman (harmless as in the bite won't kill you but the heart attack from seeing it will!) One colleague even said I should have left it as it eats all the other bad spiders - like hell - there's no way I was having that live with us. :scared:

OOO Bloody hell!! Haven't seen one yet.....not looking forwards to my first one!!! See red backs on a regular basis (outside) - they look quite harmless really :scared: but do kill them as I have 3 little girls to consider!!

Rudi

Old Dec 29th 2004, 5:19 am
Go Power!!!!!

Multicoloured Crocodile is on a distinguished road

LOL
Try using a hoover- You think that logically they won't fit but they curl up to quite a small size and choke to death. They may be harmless but Spiders freak me out and using a hoover means you can stand a fair distance away from it.

They only show up if theres a food source so you may have other nasty insects lurking that are harder to get rid of. Try Mortein!
Old Dec 29th 2004, 5:21 am
wombat42

My brave man sprayed it with practically a whole can of fly spray, and it finally died.
A really brave man, killing a defencesless insect 10 feet away with a can of fly spray. He should be recommended a Victoria Cross medal for Bravery

Last edited by wombat42; Dec 29th 2004 at 5:24 am.

Old Dec 29th 2004, 5:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
A really brave man, killing a defencesless insect 10 feet away with a can of fly spray. He should be recommended a Victoria Cross medal for Bravery.
I agree with you, huntsmen are harmless, they eat the harmful stuff like redbacks, fliles and mosquitos for you, dont kill them beautiful creature.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 5:31 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I agree with you, huntsmen are harmless, they eat the harmful stuff like redbacks, fliles and mosquitos for you, dont kill them beautiful creature.
Do we have a right to kill them just because we don't like the look of them.

Old Dec 29th 2004, 5:33 am
aussie73

YES

Old Dec 29th 2004, 5:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

No we dont, its australia, all this creeepy crawly stuff is here for a reason, even snakes, unless its life and death as in you and them, why kill them? If everyone got rid of spiders and snakes we would be over run with vermin breeding out of control. Now I sound like Steve Irwin but its true.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Bella3 is an unknown quantity at this point

In our defence we had no idea what type of spider it was - obviously it wasn't a redback or whitetail, but we weren't taking any risk. Saying that, I'm no fan of spiders - Australian or British - so they'll all be going out with a bang (or spray) in my house. Not keen on the hoover idea as we have one of those Dysons where you can see everything!
Old Dec 29th 2004, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

wezzer is an unknown quantity at this point

just looked at your picture and now im not going to sleep.can stand anything but not spiders big or little therte all yuk!!!!
Old Dec 29th 2004, 8:19 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

comparing the size of the spider with the door jam, that is a very large female[the females beinging larger than the males] she has probabaly left near on , 5000 babies to keep you company over next winter .............. mm
Old Dec 29th 2004, 8:56 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Huh...Seen bigger...

The last one we had wouldn't fit into a tumbler, so we had to put it into a dessert bowl instead; then put it outside. Maybe that's why we havn't seen any redbacks yet.

Regards
Alistair

Last edited by kirsty&al; Dec 29th 2004 at 8:58 am.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 10:30 am

MojoJojo will become famous soon enoughMojoJojo will become famous soon enough

Well, that's it. Just starting out on getting our visas and I think I've just changed my mind :scared:

Mojo
Old Dec 29th 2004, 10:41 am
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light

that looks like a nice one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.