Reload this Page >

Offshore Crane Operator Work Australia

Offshore Crane Operator Work Australia

Old Jan 14th 2013, 10:29 am
Just Joined

craneop78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Offshore Crane Operator Work Australia

Hi Guys,

Wondered if any of you had any advice for me on the above subject?

I've worked worldwide in the offshore oil and gas and marine sectors for 16 years now, and am interested in working particularly in WA, with a view to a possible re-location if it fits in the future.

I'd appreciate if anybody could answer the following questions?

1) Is OGUK/OPITO/STCW'95 certification valid in WA? If not, what are the requirements there?
2) What would be the situation with the local unions for an expat such as myself, namely, is it possible/advisable to join?
3) could anyone reccommend any agencies/employers that I could register with?

Many thanks in advance for any info provided, it's very much appreciated!
Old Jan 15th 2013, 7:04 am
Just Joined

stken is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Offshore Crane Operator Work Australia

Hi Craneop,
From what I know, stcw95 is a must, and a HUET ticket very handy, I do not know the others and I was 12 yrs in offshore.
Basically you will have to join the correct union for work in the Australian sector, it is not a requirement by law but makes it far easier. I think the MUA will be the one or possibly the AWU.
Total marine and Go offshore are the biggest I believe but there are a number of smaller operators around.

Best of luck, you will need it as it is a industry hard to get in. BTW do you have an Inegrated Rating ticket, that will help.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 8:12 am
Just Joined

craneop78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that stken.

Yeah, I hold all of the relevant stcw certs as well as pan-euro bosiet with huet. Also have offshore crane op stage 4 and a UK AB ticket too, which I'm told I can do a short equivelancy course to transfer to the IR.

I was hoping for that kind of response regarding union membership as I've spoken to a few guys who've had a tough time without it, good to know that I can join even as a foriegn national.

Thanks again!
Old Jan 15th 2013, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

stken is an unknown quantity at this point

You will have to contact the relevant unions regarding membership criteria, on what visa arrangements are to hoping to come out on, that should be your first hurdle, then look for work and union membership. Please feel free to pm me if I can be of any further assistance. Also, for offshore work WA is the best place as most of the employers are based here.