British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   the official jobs/wages thread... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/official-jobs-wages-thread-385198/)

dh1905 Jul 16th 2006 12:44 pm

the official jobs/wages thread...

Hi everyone,
Thought it would be a good idea for the people not yet here in Oz who are researching,to get an idea of the wages paid here and for what job (and for the people here in Oz who just want to be nosey ;) ) .As this is info I found hard to get hold of in the UK.
Although, if you would rather not disclose all your personal details, just popdown what you are happy with people knowing, I'm sure it would be a help.

Me- not working
Hubby- Carpenter on $30 an hr

We are on the Gold Coast.

Donna xxx

sassenach Jul 16th 2006 12:48 pm

Re: the official jobs/wages thread...

Bricklayer = price work average 2500 a week
OH , nurse = 1000 a week

bradfordlad Jul 16th 2006 12:56 pm

Hi Donna and good shout.....
Me also Carpenter in Perth and wages for me differ weekly......good week,including a few hours Saturdays....up to $1500.00 , bad week.. no Saturday and minimum hours....$850/950.00.
Hourly rates can differ...know most are on $25/30 per hour and heard talk of some on up to $40 per hour.All say the same though...If you can make up to $1500.00 in a week you are doing well.
Hope this answers a few questions for some.

Ian

Amazulu Jul 16th 2006 1:16 pm

I don't want to post my income but design engineers in resources sector in Perth are on AUD60-80/hour usually for a 45 hour week plus a 5-10% loyalty bonus. So that's AUD130-180k/year.

Perth is a great place to be at the moment.

Dorothy Jul 16th 2006 1:18 pm

Not there yet, but offered jobs in Perth:
Hubby Engineering Electronics Technician offered $50k starting salary
Me offered job with well known migration agency as trainee $34k starting salary plus bonuses.

Both of us turned these down, as we are not going to Perth, but to Adelaide. I also think the salary offered was too low for both of us. Looking on Seek we've found jobs advertised for more.

Mrs Jackaroo Jul 16th 2006 10:33 pm

HUbby is an Airframe Mechanic and is on $42k plus overtime which takes him up to about $60k. Theres no way in the world that we could survive on his basic wage - not in NSW anyway :( but with the overtime we're fine :)

hubbard Jul 16th 2006 10:49 pm

Me - Snr Business Analyst - $110k + supa
Husband - IT Solutions Architect (contractor) $85 per hour

These are Sydney wages

chels Jul 16th 2006 11:39 pm

I work in marketing, current salary is about $85k + super

OH works in recruitment and made about $125k last year, including commission payments (which unfortunately get taxed as fringe benefits at 50%)

These are both Sydney salaries

Some people are earning lots more than me - they must be the mythical people who can afford to buy property in Sydney!!!

ianandhelena Jul 16th 2006 11:49 pm

OH + self=both optometrists, jobs similar to ours in Tas being advertised at $90k + super, 4 weeks annual leave + 1 day professional training leave.

soapy© Jul 17th 2006 1:04 am

could one of the mods pin this to the top of the Oz forum for a while? :)

cresta57 Jul 17th 2006 1:46 am

Originally Posted by soapy
could one of the mods pin this to the top of the Oz forum for a while? :)

Just as long as you don't post your pic again on here ;)

As Wall & Floor Tilers Deb & I charge between $30-$35 per m2 + GST dependant upon areas tiled and the amount of metres, distance to job etc. Rural areas like ours pay more than metro areas, distances to jobs are much greater though ;)

soapy© Jul 17th 2006 3:28 am

Originally Posted by cresta57

;)

i promise :o

soapy© Jul 17th 2006 3:30 am

Originally Posted by cresta57

As Wall & Floor Tilers Deb & I charge between $30-$35 per m2 + GST dependant upon areas tiled and the amount of metres, distance to job etc. Rural areas like ours pay more than metro areas, distances to jobs are much greater though ;)

thanx for that mate, i think its a great idea for a post.
it seems most people are returning (lately) after seeing what they get paid

floweroscotland Jul 17th 2006 5:52 am

Great post to inform people

Hubby- Carpenter $30 an hour
Me - Retail $20 an hour

The A Team Jul 17th 2006 6:12 am

Hairdressers in Townsville are paid around $20 an hour.

Admin Officers/Receptionists up to about $20 an hour, more for temping.

njk435 Jul 17th 2006 6:33 am

Sergeant Aussie Army $56,000 pa + allowances

I think my OH may need to get a job :)

ridds Jul 17th 2006 7:17 am

Some salary survey websites that may help:

The Hays Salary Survey

The Ambit Salary Index (not just IT careers)

My Career

"Real life" people post their salaries at SalaryZone as a guide top what is *really* paid (as opposed to advertised).

When looking at the wages being paid in Australia (when not self-employed), remember to include the 9% compulsory superannuation payment that your employer is required to pay on your behalf to a specified Super Fund (as long as you earn more than $450 per month.) Read the wikipedia guide for more info.

HTH

Vash the Stampede Jul 17th 2006 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by sassenach
Bricklayer = price work average 2500 a week
OH , nurse = 1000 a week

How do you manage to survive on a combined income of only $3500 gross per week?

touchingcloth Jul 17th 2006 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by dotnron
Both of us turned these down, as we are not going to Perth, but to Adelaide. I also think the salary offered was too low for both of us. Looking on Seek we've found jobs advertised for more.

If Oz recruitment agents are anything like in the UK, you'll probably find that these jobs advertised don't exist and are just a means to get more candidates on their books.

A few days ago someone posted a website where people add their own salaries anonymously. Can't find it now...but it seems pretty good. You can filter by region, role etc

Did anyone see it/know the link???

TC

thomas and sarahjayne Jul 17th 2006 8:37 pm

require info

whats average salary of a plumber /gas fitter in victoria as many jobs advertised dont mention , normally say- wage negotiable if anyone can help

thanks

sarah-jayne

Dorothy Jul 17th 2006 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
If Oz recruitment agents are anything like in the UK, you'll probably find that these jobs advertised don't exist and are just a means to get more candidates on their books.

A few days ago someone posted a website where people add their own salaries anonymously. Can't find it now...but it seems pretty good. You can filter by region, role etc

TC

We didn't go through recruitment agencies. I was offered a job by a migration agent and my husband was offered a job by a company he emailed his resume to. The fellow who is in charge of the Perth office actually phoned us one night and spoke to my husband. Any jobs we see that are through agencies, we skip over. Both of us have scoured the yellow pages for firms we think we might like to work for and if a website is not listed then we phone them for an email address for the person who does the hiring. This seems to have worked, as I got an email from a company in Adelaide this morning inviting me to an interview when we land.

Vanessa Jul 18th 2006 7:56 am

For anyone in Melbourne area who wants to do house cleaning my friends in the Toorak area pay their cleaners $22 and $25 per hour respectively - they say that this is the going rate in that area - someone they know pays their lady $70 a hour to iron :eek: If you don't mind cleaning one of them is looking for a new cleaner - at the moment she employs a couple who do three hours each on two days so I would guess she would need someone for about 10 hours if they are on their own.

thribble Jul 18th 2006 8:11 am

Melbourne, Senior Water/Wastewater Engineer (actually doing project management!) I get $85k including super.

ridds Jul 18th 2006 8:17 am

Originally Posted by touchingcloth

TC

Salaryzone is a site like that, although it is a bit limited to it and finance salaries.

sassenach Jul 18th 2006 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Its a struggle i must admit ,and our johnny takes his wack.Plus we dont have a family life at all as we are both working 7 days and i work quite late into the evening and my wife works split shifts .So as you can see its all about applied effort and sacrifice .

Vash the Stampede Jul 18th 2006 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by sassenach
Its a struggle i must admit ,and our johnny takes his wack.Plus we dont have a family life at all as we are both working 7 days and i work quite late into the evening and my wife works split shifts .So as you can see its all about applied effort and sacrifice .

Yeah, I can imagine.

Clippy Jul 18th 2006 5:58 pm

:scared: That's loads of money!

mick69 Jul 18th 2006 8:21 pm

I was just wondering what the average wage for a First Class Welder would be in the Perth area. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Lynne

Vash the Stampede Jul 18th 2006 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Clippies
:scared: That's loads of money!

Is it? I thought Australian wages were "crap." That's what people keep telling me. So I can only assume that $3500 gross a week is "crap."

After all, if sassenach and his OH can only survive on a joint wage of $3500 gross per week by "applied effort and sacrifice", then $3500 must be extremely "crap" indeed.

geordie mandy Jul 18th 2006 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by njk435
Sergeant Aussie Army $56,000 pa + allowances

I think my OH may need to get a job :)

What about warrent officers wage?
Mandy

njk435 Jul 18th 2006 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
What about warrent officers wage?
Mandy

Warrant Officer is about $62,000

check out here for all ADF pay:

http://www.defence.gov.au/dpe/pac/

Rob Morton-Jone Jul 19th 2006 1:24 am

I am a manager of an engineering company on the Gold Coast. I work from 7 till 3, Monday to Thursday and 7 till 1 on a Friday and my yearly salary is $60,000 plus i get 10% of the profits at the end of each tax year and i also get 5 weeks holiday per year. Not bad for starters i suppose :D

Trish my wife is a lady of leisure now which is well deserved.

Hope that helps :)

Rob

si.young Jul 19th 2006 2:52 am

The wife - Legal Secretary, $23 ph.
Me - IT Support Analyst, $zip, zero, nowt.

si.young Jul 19th 2006 2:54 am

Originally Posted by Rob Morton-Jone
I am a manager of an engineering company on the Gold Coast. I work from 7 till 3, Monday to Thursday and 7 till 1 on a Friday and my yearly salary is $60,000 plus i get 10% of the profits at the end of each tax year and i also get 5 weeks holiday per year. Not bad for starters i suppose :D

Trish my wife is a lady of leisure now which is well deserved.

Hope that helps :)

Rob

Do you need any apprentices :D

Mrs Jackaroo Jul 19th 2006 2:56 am

Is it? I thought Australian wages were "crap." That's what people keep telling me. So I can only assume that $3500 gross a week is "crap."

After all, if sassenach and his OH can only survive on a joint wage of $3500 gross per week by "applied effort and sacrifice", then $3500 must be extremely "crap" indeed.

Our wage is crap ($60k inc overtime) :mad: but everyone else on here seems to be doing quite well! :)

si.young Jul 19th 2006 3:16 am

Originally Posted by tygwyn
Our wage is crap ($60k inc overtime) :mad: but everyone else on here seems to be doing quite well! :)

I'd kill for 60k.....well, not literally :D

Mrs Jackaroo Jul 19th 2006 3:34 am

Originally Posted by si.young
I'd kill for 60k.....well, not literally :D

That is including about 12 hours overtime per week. His basic is around $42k and the hours are 7am - 3.30pm Monday - Thursday and 7am - 1pm Friday so its not too difficult to fit the overtime in (well not for me anyway!! :D ).

Are you not working at the moment? Whereabouts in NSW are you?

Edit: Sorry just read your post above so I can see that you're not working yet. How long have you been here?

si.young Jul 19th 2006 3:40 am

Are you not working at the moment? Whereabouts in NSW are you?[/QUOTE]

No, been here 6 months this week and had 3 interviews, cant seem to get any interest in my CV. The wife works and gets about 41k so things are a little tight.

I'm in Kariong on the Central Coast but looking at moving up the coast to Brisbane, although i'm not sure if its just going to be more of the same up there.

Mrs Jackaroo Jul 19th 2006 3:46 am

Originally Posted by si.young
Are you not working at the moment? Whereabouts in NSW are you?

No, been here 6 months this week and had 3 interviews, cant seem to get any interest in my CV. The wife works and gets about 41k so things are a little tight.

I'm in Kariong on the Central Coast but looking at moving up the coast to Brisbane, although i'm not sure if its just going to be more of the same up there.[/QUOTE]

My friend is in a similiar situation as you - been here 5 months and just cant get anything. Thebears on here has offered to look at her CV for her (waiting for him to get back to me though - CAN YOU HEAR ME THEBEARS?? :D ). Maybe he could have a look at yours too? Any input might help?

Good luck :)

woody1cruiser Jul 19th 2006 5:41 am

Arriving on 30th July but I am going to be paid $51,000 + super as a childcare co-ordinator/Director in WA.

Debs