Reload this Page >

Off Topic .. But need help with POP -UP's

Off Topic .. But need help with POP -UP's

Old Mar 19th 2005, 10:16 am
Now..just your usual Pom

C.Owen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Off Topic .. But need help with POP -UP's

Sorry it's Off Topic but i need some help

Can anybody recomend any good POP-UP blockers ... ??

As i keep getting them more than ever now whilst on here, real pain in the butt, i've got a google one but they still seem to get through.

Also had a Trojan virus detected last night :scared: , i found it and think i've cleared it but i just hope it's not hidden in the directory files aswell !!

Running Norton Anti-virus 05 by the way, but this didn't stop the trojan mentioned above, anybody reccomend better protection whilst enjoying this site and others ???

Anyone else having this trouble or able to provide advice ????
Old Mar 19th 2005, 12:04 pm
up the boro!

denhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Off Topic .. But need help with POP -UP's

"zone alarm" is good, just do a google search and try and find one to download for free, but i would be more concerned about spyware, do a google search for "ad-aware" and "spybot search and destroy" use these programs to scan your p.c once a week to delete any nasty bugs on your computer.
im not a wizz on computers but i know that your computer leaves a mark like a finger print on every site you visit. thats how some of these people get your information and send you spam to your email.

hope this helps
Old Mar 19th 2005, 12:20 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off Topic .. But need help with POP -UP's

Zone alarm is a good freebie.

Stops these peskie blighters.....
Attached Thumbnails Off Topic .. But need help with POP -UP's-jackbox.jpeg  
Old Mar 19th 2005, 2:21 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by C.Owen

As i keep getting them more than ever now whilst on here, real pain in the butt, i've got a google one but they still seem to get through.

Also had a Trojan virus detected last night :scared: , i found it and think i've cleared it but i just hope it's not hidden in the directory files aswell !!

Running Norton Anti-virus 05 by the way, but this didn't stop the trojan mentioned above, anybody reccomend better protection whilst enjoying this site and others ???

I think I know the ones that you mean, they look like a 'Windows' box? I take it you're running Windows XP?

The problem is with 'Messenger' in Windows. 'Messenger' sends out your IP Address to everyone to say, 'Hey, talk to me!'

Try this simple fix, it works perfectly for me and I've posted it before, it does work. Print this out, because you'll need to restart your PC.

1. To disable messenger click 'Start' then 'Run'
2. Type 'services.msc /s' - (Notice the space in 'msc /s', you need to type this)
3. In the 'Services' window, scroll down to locate 'Messenger'
4. 'Right Click' on the word 'Messenger' and select 'Properties'
5. Click the 'General' tab.
6. In the 'Startup' panel field, click the 'down arrow' and select 'Disabled'. Just below, in 'Service Status', click on the 'Stop' button. This will stop the process, and setting it to disabled will stop the service running the next time windows is restarted.
7. Restart Windows.

Good luck,

Steve.
Old Mar 19th 2005, 2:59 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

There is one pop-under per 12 hours. If you are seeing more then it's probably because you are blocking cookies. If you don't accept cookies then the ad server won't know you've seen the ad and will keep displaying it.

Sue

Originally Posted by C.Owen

Old Mar 19th 2005, 3:34 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

I`ve used ZA a few times. Each time after a few months it started freaking my system out.

I`ve always preferred a dedicated popup killer rather than the `all-in-one` approach... more control, less hassle.

If you can track it down, the one I`ve used for years is `popup killer`. It`s brilliant and is dead easy to use. Unfortunately it`s not developed any more. It was free. I`ll try and find a link for it or something that`s based on it (as the code was given away as well).

In the meantime you could try this... don`t know if it`s any good or not:
http://www.soft32.com/download_15132.html

Here`s some more:
http://www.dirfile.com/search.php

First though I`d suggest you get a feee online virus scan started. It takes a while so hopefully you`re on broadband. I`d do it even if you`re not.... just leave your pc to it once you`ve downloaded the software. These are the two I use (why 2? because sometimes one can find something the other can`t):

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp

http://www.pandasoftware.com/actives..._principal.htm

Another few things to make your pc more secure....

Install Firefox and make it your default browser. It`s much better than IE and much more secure:
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

With Outlook/Outlook Express/whatever e-mail client you use, get rid of the preview pane. It`s a major source of virii etc. Try `Thunderbird` and see if you like it:
http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

Download and install Ad-Aware (personal edition... it`s free). This will search your hard drive for any trojans and data-miners etc:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

If after you`ve done the virus-checking and ad-aware, and still have popups, you need to do a google and enter any text etc in the popup to try and find out how to kill it off. Sometimes they are `browser-hijackers` which take over your browser (well, IE anyway) and you have to go through hoops to kill them off.

Talk to me if you need any more help.
Old Mar 19th 2005, 5:36 pm
Now..just your usual Pom

C.Owen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stormz
I`ve used ZA a few times. Each time after a few months it started freaking my system out.

I`ve always preferred a dedicated popup killer rather than the `all-in-one` approach... more control, less hassle.

If you can track it down, the one I`ve used for years is `popup killer`. It`s brilliant and is dead easy to use. Unfortunately it`s not developed any more. It was free. I`ll try and find a link for it or something that`s based on it (as the code was given away as well).

In the meantime you could try this... don`t know if it`s any good or not:
http://www.soft32.com/download_15132.html

Here`s some more:
http://www.dirfile.com/search.php

First though I`d suggest you get a feee online virus scan started. It takes a while so hopefully you`re on broadband. I`d do it even if you`re not.... just leave your pc to it once you`ve downloaded the software. These are the two I use (why 2? because sometimes one can find something the other can`t):

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp

http://www.pandasoftware.com/actives..._principal.htm

Another few things to make your pc more secure....

Install Firefox and make it your default browser. It`s much better than IE and much more secure:
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

With Outlook/Outlook Express/whatever e-mail client you use, get rid of the preview pane. It`s a major source of virii etc. Try `Thunderbird` and see if you like it:
http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

Download and install Ad-Aware (personal edition... it`s free). This will search your hard drive for any trojans and data-miners etc:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

If after you`ve done the virus-checking and ad-aware, and still have popups, you need to do a google and enter any text etc in the popup to try and find out how to kill it off. Sometimes they are `browser-hijackers` which take over your browser (well, IE anyway) and you have to go through hoops to kill them off.

Talk to me if you need any more help.
Thanks for the great advice everyone...

Blimey....You don't realise just how exposed you are to these hi-jackers until your machine starts playing up !!!

In the meantime iv'e downloaded Zone Alarm ( although it's only a trial version ) and so far so good, i'll see how it is during the trial period.

I've also managed to get hold of Softspy and installed this, i did a scan and it found 8 viruses ( 4 Trojan ) and deleted them from the system, these managed to slip through Norton Anti virus 05 although this did pick one of them up last night.
It looks quite good ... anyone heard of this or tried it ?

Steve
1. To disable messenger click 'Start' then 'Run'
2. Type 'services.msc /s' - (Notice the space in 'msc /s', you need to type this)
3. In the 'Services' window, scroll down to locate 'Messenger'
4. 'Right Click' on the word 'Messenger' and select 'Properties'
5. Click the 'General' tab.
6. In the 'Startup' panel field, click the 'down arrow' and select 'Disabled'. Just below, in 'Service Status', click on the 'Stop' button. This will stop the process, and setting it to disabled will stop the service running the next time windows is restarted.
7. Restart Windows.

Will this effect the use of MSN or Yahoo messenger ?
and is this a normal set up process or just further airing on the side of caution, will i have to do this despite what i have set up already ?

appologies if these are simple questions, but it's new to me all this protection stuff !!!
Old Mar 19th 2005, 6:16 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Personally i just have Mozilla and the google task bar - between the two i rarely get pop ups
Old Mar 19th 2005, 7:05 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

If using Windows XP then Service Pack 2 adds a decent pop up stopper
Old Mar 19th 2005, 7:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

peer guardian blocks adds, spware and all sorts and isnt' a resource hog, it's pretty handy:
http://www.methlabs.org/

But pop's on this site aren't a problem as Sue said, just have to accept cookies for the place, or get premium membership.

Another bit of software worth having is Spybot Search & Destroy, it's free and picks up a lot that Adware misses.