Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Off leash dog rules in Brisbane versus Perth

Off leash dog rules in Brisbane versus Perth

Old Aug 16th 2009, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Off leash dog rules in Brisbane versus Perth

Originally Posted by becandal
Copa, You sound like an idiot! One of the idiots i'm so keen to get away from in the UK.

Just because a dog is off it's leash doesn't mean it's going to attack everyone around it. Yes, by the sound of it the dog you are describing was a problem but that doesn't mean they are all bad.

I have a Large male German shepherd that never walks on a leash and doesn't need to. He will walk by my side all day long, he won't approach other dogs or people. I suppose you would kick his teeth in too.

Sounds like the only one needing to be put on a leash is you.

And I bet your children have an irrational fear of anything on four legs. The reason is because of the way you behave when they are near you. But by the sounds of it, it's all about you anyway.
To be honest you're the one who sounds like an idiot.

Say you're walking along the street and your dog suddenly runs across the road as something has grabbed its attention. Now I know you're going to say 'oh but my dog wouldn't do that'. But you simply cannot be 100% sure. Your dog either gets hit, or a car swerves to avoid it causing an accident etc.

I find it hard to believe that when your dog comes across other dogs all it does is simply ignore them and not have a bit of a sniff around? Now the dog I have at the moment is very nervous, and I'm pretty sure wouldn't appreciate a bloody German Shepherd off-leash coming around sniffing. I know when I'm walking and see a dog off-leash I immediately start to worry.

Why don't you possibly think about others instead of bigging yourself up showing how wonderful you are for having such a well-trained dog.

What's the big deal with having a dog on a leash when in public anyway? I've had dogs all my life, and they've always been on a lead when walked. It's no big deal. They still walk along the side of me, but in that case I have them under control 'just incase'.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

becandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nice

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
To be honest you're the one who sounds like an idiot.

Say you're walking along the street and your dog suddenly runs across the road as something has grabbed its attention. Now I know you're going to say 'oh but my dog wouldn't do that'. But you simply cannot be 100% sure. Your dog either gets hit, or a car swerves to avoid it causing an accident etc.

I find it hard to believe that when your dog comes across other dogs all it does is simply ignore them and not have a bit of a sniff around? Now the dog I have at the moment is very nervous, and I'm pretty sure wouldn't appreciate a bloody German Shepherd off-leash coming around sniffing. I know when I'm walking and see a dog off-leash I immediately start to worry.

Why don't you possibly think about others instead of bigging yourself up showing how wonderful you are for having such a well-trained dog.

What's the big deal with having a dog on a leash when in public anyway? I've had dogs all my life, and they've always been on a lead when walked. It's no big deal. They still walk along the side of me, but in that case I have them under control 'just incase'.
Firstly Wookie, I don't walk my dog off the Leash in heavy traffic areas so the chance of him causing an accident are very small.

2nd, My dog has no interest in other dogs what so ever, German shepherds are renowned for being easy to train this way which is why all the forces use them. Whether you find it hard to belive or not.

I don't belive you've even owned a dog before. You automatically label it a BLODDY german Shepherd because your are ignorant to the nature of different breeds. I suppose a Jack Russell is a cute little Bunny that will just lick your hand. You have clarified my point by saying you get worried as soon as you see a dog off it's leash.

I'm not bigging myself up. I have an exceptionally well trained intelligent dog that wouldn't hurt a fly and is no risk to anyone. He won't approach anyone even if they call him over. In fact I will big myself up... I am very proud of the way I have trained him.

And the BIG deal with walking the dog off the leash is they need a good long run. Its not enough for them just to walk along side you at your sloth like pace. Thats why people throw balls for dogs, to give them a good workout.

Why are you defending an idiot that is proud to admit he threatens people and tells them he is going to kill there dog in front off his own children. You're no better than him.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 7:24 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Firstly Wookie, I don't walk my dog off the Leash in heavy traffic areas so the chance of him causing an accident are very small.

2nd, My dog has no interest in other dogs what so ever, German shepherds are renowned for being easy to train this way which is why all the forces use them. Whether you find it hard to belive or not.

I don't belive you've even owned a dog before. You automatically label it a BLODDY german Shepherd because your are ignorant to the nature of different breeds. I suppose a Jack Russell is a cute little Bunny that will just lick your hand. You have clarified my point by saying you get worried as soon as you see a dog off it's leash.

I'm not bigging myself up. I have an exceptionally well trained intelligent dog that wouldn't hurt a fly and is no risk to anyone. He won't approach anyone even if they call him over. In fact I will big myself up... I am very proud of the way I have trained him.

And the BIG deal with walking the dog off the leash is they need a good long run. Its not enough for them just to walk along side you at your sloth like pace. Thats why people throw balls for dogs, to give them a good workout.

Why are you defending an idiot that is proud to admit he threatens people and tells them he is going to kill there dog in front off his own children. You're no better than him.
The law here says he stays on leash.... end of story. If you choose to ignore that because you believe you are above the law then fair enough... 99% of the people in Oz will see you as an irresponsible idiot. I have no doubt you will see yourself differently.

There is a very, very different attitude toward dogs, and cats for that matter, in Australia than there is in the UK and if you go strolling round the streets with a German Shep off leash then you are not going to be welcome one bit. I would expect a visit from the Rangers pretty quickly as well, as your neighbours are quiet likely to report it.

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Aug 16th 2009 at 7:30 am.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

becandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nicebecandal is just really nice

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
The law here says he stays on leash.... end of story. If you choose to ignore that because you believe you are above the law then fair enough... 99% of the people in Oz will see you as an irresponsible idiot. I have no doubt you will see yourself differently.

There is a very, very different attitude toward dogs, and cats for that matter, in Australia than there is in the UK and if you go strolling round the streets with a German Shep off leash then you are not going to be welcome one bit. I would expect a visit from the Rangers pretty quickly as well, as your neighbours are quiet likely to report it.
You have missed the point completely.
I never once said I will walk him off the leash where he is not allowed to.
If there is somewhere he is allowed to exercise of the leash then I will allow him to, if not then he stays on the leash.

You need to read posts properly before stating your opinions.
I made my original post due to copa announcing that he would happily kick someones dog to death in front of his own children.
I suppose that is ok with you.
I would hope 100% of people would view him as an irresponsible idiot for threatening the guy in front of his kids let alone carrying out the attack!
Old Aug 16th 2009, 9:26 am
Account Closed

I have a Large male German shepherd that never walks on a leash and doesn't need to. He will walk by my side all day long, he won't approach other dogs or people..
You have missed the point completely.
I never once said I will walk him off the leash where he is not allowed to.
If there is somewhere he is allowed to exercise of the leash then I will allow him to, if not then he stays on the leash.

You need to read posts properly before stating your opinions.
Can I suggest you read your own posts before shooting your mouth off.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Then you need to address the problem and teach your children that we share this planet with other creatures. one of them being mans best friend the dog.

You don't need to show fear, all you have to do is avoid walking by a dog when the kids were young perhaps you picked them up if a dog approached. There are so many negative things that you do that the children pick up on.
Your kids were not born with a fear of dogs.

It is the same reason that a lot of small dogs show fear and aggression towards bigger dogs. Every time I walk by an old lady with a yorkie or small lap dog they pick it up until I pass. The dog picks up on this and becomes scared.
No I don't - I purposely walk where dogs should be on leash - there should be no problem.

The kids have plenty of experiences with dogs and when they are familiar with a dog or if a dog is on leash they are fine. What frightens them is when an unfamiliar dog runs out from nowhere - can you imagine that when you are only 115cm high.

You don't know what you are talking about. Yes, fear can spread fear - but not in this case.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 10:11 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by The Crow
No I don't - I purposely walk where dogs should be on leash - there should be no problem.

The kids have plenty of experiences with dogs and when they are familiar with a dog or if a dog is on leash they are fine. What frightens them is when an unfamiliar dog runs out from nowhere - can you imagine that when you are only 115cm high.

You don't know what you are talking about. Yes, fear can spread fear - but not in this case.
I'm 180cm, never mind 115cm, and I would be very wary of a German Sheperd coming towards me. They have a well earned reputation as a breed with a tendancy to bite strangers without provocation.

* sits back and waits for the "it's all the fault of the owners" bleat *
Old Aug 16th 2009, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

I'm 180cm, never mind 115cm, and I would be very wary of a German Sheperd coming towards me. They have a well earned reputation as a breed with a tendancy to bite strangers without provocation.

* sits back and waits for the "it's all the fault of the owners" bleat *
You clearly know nothing about dogs!
Old Aug 16th 2009, 10:26 am
Account Closed

Actually I do.. which is why I wouldn't let a German Shep near anybody outside of its immediate family environment.

The Shep is a breed where any control over its breeding stock was lost generations ago. As a result it has temperament issues. By nature its a herding/guarding dog and that instinct to defend can lead them to be unduely aggressive to people outside of its own 'family circle'. If you don't know that then you know nothing about the breed.

Oh, and before you start off with I must be anti-dog.. I have a Viszla.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

I have a quiet day today, so I thought I would do some light reading on the German Shepherd and its temperament. Its interesting stuff. It would appear that for the last 20 to 25 years breeders of German Sheps the world over have been attempting to change the nature of the breed because, you guessed it, unprovoked attacks by the dogs.

It seems that something the breeders identified as a 'fear' gene was becoming dominant in the breed and leading the dogs to attack without warning because they had been frightened by something.... and it didn't take much to spook them.

In the words of one breeder I saw quoted on a US site "the breed was imploding before our eyes". Dogs were being returned or destroyed at an alarming rate, and remember these are dogs from serious breeders, no doubt going to committed owners. Few people buying from breeders are not serious about their dogs, if they were then they wouldn't be paying the top dollar breeders usually charge.

Breeders now say that they have managed to 'remove' this gene from the dogs and that serious attacks are now unlikely... which is great if your dog comes from a breeder... but the German Shepherd is now not much more than a mutt in terms of controlled breeding, the same US site calling them "a dime a dozen". I have seen GS puppies for sale in the local pet shop and I was even offered one in a pub in Manchester some years back for 75 quid. I doubt in either of those cases they were going to be supplied with Kennel Club papers. !!

So you see, like it or not, your chosen breed of dog has a deserved reputation as being a biter..... don't believe me?. Then go to Google, put in "German Shepherd temperament problems" and start reading for yourself.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Well make your mind up. One second you:
'have a Large male German shepherd that never walks on a leash'

and the next:
'I don't walk my dog off the Leash in heavy traffic areas so the chance of him causing an accident are very small.'

'I never once said I will walk him off the leash where he is not allowed to.
If there is somewhere he is allowed to exercise of the leash then I will allow him to, if not then he stays on the leash.'

So what is it?

I can assure you that I've had dogs my whole life. The difference between me and you is that I 'know' how to own dogs. You 'think' you know.

For the record, my last dogs were two Rottweillers and two Jack Russells. Before that we've had Dobermanns, Basset hounds among others. All of them would be on a leash when walking. The reason I said 'bloody' is because the Shep is a large, 'scary' looking dog that would make 'most' people nervous if seen off a lead. You, as a responsible dog-owner, should realise that and as such have him on a leash.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 12:40 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

I will certainly be keeping my Chihuahua pup on the leash when she can go out in a few weeks. Those teeth are needle sharp!
Old Aug 16th 2009, 12:45 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
The reason I said 'bloody' is because the Shep is a large, 'scary' looking dog that would make 'most' people nervous if seen off a lead. You, as a responsible dog-owner, should realise that and as such have him on a leash.
An excellent point. My Vizsla is an unknown quantity to most people. They are not common dogs at all and most people have never seen one before. They form an impression based on the fact that he's pretty powerful looking, ginger brown coloured, and many jump to the conclusion that he is some sort of fighting dog/ridgeback.... anybody who knows the breed knows that nothing could be further from the truth... but when I'm walking him its obvious that some people are quite wary so I walk him accordingly, bringing him in on a tight rein and sometimes even stopping and getting him to sit while people approach..
Old Aug 16th 2009, 12:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kporte
I will certainly be keeping my Chihuahua pup on the leash when she can go out in a few weeks. Those teeth are needle sharp!
Funny that 'cos I saw a guy walking a Chihuahua a few weeks back he looked hillarious. He was a big guy, well over six foot, and seeing him walking this thing, with its legs going ten to the dozen, just cracked me up.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 1:18 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Funny that 'cos I saw a guy walking a Chihuahua a few weeks back he looked hillarious. He was a big guy, well over six foot, and seeing him walking this thing, with its legs going ten to the dozen, just cracked me up.
If anybody laughs I will unleash her rugged 1.2kg frame on them!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.