Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Off to Brisbane on Sunday, and here's the story (abridged)

Wikiposts

Off to Brisbane on Sunday, and here's the story (abridged)

Old Oct 20th 2005, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

John McD. is on a distinguished road
Default Off to Brisbane on Sunday, and here's the story (abridged)

HI all,

I'm going to study at Queensland University of Technology to do an MBA (business degree) for a year. I've thought of doing an MBA for several years, but due to a/tight a**e employer b/fear of redundancy (avoided) c/lack of funds etc etc I never made any progress. Back in Jan 05 I was thinking of moving job (after 7 years with same company), but found what was on offer quite poor. So the thoughts of an MBA started again, and I researched schools in UK. I then realised that I didn't have to stay in UK, and that Australia could be an option (USA is way off the list for many reasons, not least of which is the attitue of immigration staff there). There are several could schools in Sydney and Melbourne, but somehow my preferred City is Brisbane.

In May I finally decided that I'd do this, and dropped the hint to GF, to get her reaction. She's a nurse, and jumped at the chance to also leave for Oz (her application is still ongoing and maybe will be able to join me in Dec).

A brief timeline since then is this:
May - Decision to do it.
Jun - Applied to QUT to get on the course - fill in a form and send lots of documents, such as certified O and A level, and degree certificates.
Aug - accepted on course, reply confirming my acceptance, along with first term fees of AUD12,000 (paid on new CC with 0% for 12 mths - result!). Start Student Visa application. Need to prove I have £1000's to fund myself for duration of course. Put house on the market to sell.
Sep - medical (in Maidenhead), Visa returned 2 weeks later. Buyer found for house at Gnats whisker from asking price.
Oct 3rd. Exchange contracts on the house. Tell my boss I'm resigning - jaws drop all round the office. Gave 3 weeks notice, compared to the 3 months on my contract - but there's nothing they can do to change my mind is there?
Buy air ticket via HK to BNE
Oct 8 Empty my house of everything - most gone to loft in my parents house.
Oct 11 Complete on house sale.

Since then winding down at work, and fitting a kitchen in GFs house so that it can be rented out eventually. Also, trying to sell car - no luck on ebay - my brother will probably get a free car from me.

How long will I be gone? Course is 12 months, as is Visa. But could find work or move back. We have open minds about it and will see how life is.

So, things have happened very rapidly. Touch wood - everything that could go wrong - hasn't!

see you in Oz on Tuesday.
John McD.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 11:18 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off to Brisbane on Sunday, and here's the story (abridged)

Originally Posted by John McD.
HI all,

I'm going to study at Queensland University of Technology to do an MBA (business degree) for a year. I've thought of doing an MBA for several years, but due to a/tight a**e employer b/fear of redundancy (avoided) c/lack of funds etc etc I never made any progress. Back in Jan 05 I was thinking of moving job (after 7 years with same company), but found what was on offer quite poor. So the thoughts of an MBA started again, and I researched schools in UK. I then realised that I didn't have to stay in UK, and that Australia could be an option (USA is way off the list for many reasons, not least of which is the attitue of immigration staff there). There are several could schools in Sydney and Melbourne, but somehow my preferred City is Brisbane.

In May I finally decided that I'd do this, and dropped the hint to GF, to get her reaction. She's a nurse, and jumped at the chance to also leave for Oz (her application is still ongoing and maybe will be able to join me in Dec).

A brief timeline since then is this:
May - Decision to do it.
Jun - Applied to QUT to get on the course - fill in a form and send lots of documents, such as certified O and A level, and degree certificates.
Aug - accepted on course, reply confirming my acceptance, along with first term fees of AUD12,000 (paid on new CC with 0% for 12 mths - result!). Start Student Visa application. Need to prove I have £1000's to fund myself for duration of course. Put house on the market to sell.
Sep - medical (in Maidenhead), Visa returned 2 weeks later. Buyer found for house at Gnats whisker from asking price.
Oct 3rd. Exchange contracts on the house. Tell my boss I'm resigning - jaws drop all round the office. Gave 3 weeks notice, compared to the 3 months on my contract - but there's nothing they can do to change my mind is there?
Buy air ticket via HK to BNE
Oct 8 Empty my house of everything - most gone to loft in my parents house.
Oct 11 Complete on house sale.

Since then winding down at work, and fitting a kitchen in GFs house so that it can be rented out eventually. Also, trying to sell car - no luck on ebay - my brother will probably get a free car from me.

How long will I be gone? Course is 12 months, as is Visa. But could find work or move back. We have open minds about it and will see how life is.

So, things have happened very rapidly. Touch wood - everything that could go wrong - hasn't!

see you in Oz on Tuesday.
John McD.
Enjoy and all the best. Have a ball when you're not studying.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Oct 20th 2005, 11:29 pm
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

Good Luck i'm studying at Uni of Queensland and really love it, how did you go with finding some short term accomodation?
Old Oct 20th 2005, 11:38 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Could you not have tagged along on gf's perm visa?
Old Oct 21st 2005, 12:04 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck John
Julie