Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moved to Aus without ever visiting?

Moved to Aus without ever visiting?

Old Oct 13th 2005, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice
Default Moved to Aus without ever visiting?

Hi,

Did any of you move to Aus without ever visiting the country?

This is the situation my family find ourselves in. We know people who are already living in Aus and have we would really like to give it ago ourselves, but have never visited.

Last edited by Wigan Warrior; Oct 13th 2005 at 6:41 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 6:51 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moved to Aus without ever visiting?

Originally Posted by Wigan Warrior
Hi,

This is the situation my family find ourselves in. We know people who are already living in Aus and have we would really like to give it ago ourselves, but have never visited.
Visit if you can afford it , if not research your nuts off , its a big ole move and will cost most people up to £10k just to get there !
Old Oct 13th 2005, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

shorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud of
Wink Re: Moved to Aus without ever visiting?

Hi,

We are going to Adelaide and have never been anywhere near Oz before. We know its a great country so why do we need to go. We have been told that alot of people who return have been before on holiday and expect it to be like a holiday. We have no chance of this happening.

Shorty
Old Oct 13th 2005, 11:02 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Do a search mate. This has come up alot recently.

Paul.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

dshole will become famous soon enoughdshole will become famous soon enough

We moved over here without a visit, but my wife is Australian so we had a good idea what to expect. Also research helped a great deal.

Just remember that if you don't like it, you can always go back to the UK. But give it a good go first. I think it takes at least 3 years to get to know a place before you can be 100%
Old Oct 13th 2005, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

lynne & steve will become famous soon enoughlynne & steve will become famous soon enough

I was born here but parents went back to UK when I was 6 months old.Never even thought about moving back.

That was until December 2004 - we were watching "A new life down under". We had hit a point in the UK that there was nothing there for us so the time seemed right for us.
So after finding "BE" and asking a few questions, we applied for a spouse visa and got the kids their citizenship/passports.
There were a few hiccups along the way and with the support of the people on this forum we carried on with our dream.
We got the visa in March - sold everything we owned on Ebay and at boot-fairs.
So with 4 suitcases and a couple of holdalls, we were off..

We have now been here for 5 months .. we both now have jobs ( this was the hardest part ) kids are very happy and settled in school .

So in our opinion.. if you want something to work bad enough, it will.
Just go for it .. life is too short for "what if's"

Best of luck to you

Lynne & Steve
Old Oct 13th 2005, 11:52 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

We moved to Brisbane this year and had never been here before, we just went by what we had seen and read about Oz. We are glad we made the move as we like it here. If we didn't like it we would have eventually moved back to UK but at least we would have had the experience of living and working in another country. But everyone is different and some take risks some don't so its up to you.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

We have just arrived in NE Victoria without ever visiting Australia. We had planned to do this all properly and visit etc but then a job offer came up and we decided to go for it. The kids are in school, Ian loves the job and we are all VERY happy to be here. Before this move we had lived for 3 years in Belgium which although it is closer to the UK is also far more foreign in a lot of ways so we knew what to expect to some extent with a move overseas. Also we have several close friends who have done the move and none of them have even considered coming back to the UK.
Our attitude was that if it all went wrong then there was nothing stopping us going back to the UK (sure money would be a problem but what the hell there is more to life). All the best
Nicky, Ian and 4 kids
Old Oct 14th 2005, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

We moved here without ever being to Oz before, I done loads of research on areas and everything before we came, been here 19 months now and not 1 regret, we love everything about it. The way we looked at it was if we hated it then we move on somewhere else or we go home, go for it

Hi,

Old Oct 14th 2005, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

We applied to come to Aus before we had ever visited. The first time we saw it was when we did our validation trip. Our situation was slightly different in that we had moved from S.Africa to the UK first so moving about wasn't new for us and also, my sister and her husband were in Aus already (a big factor for us). Two and half years on and we are happy as Larry
Old Oct 14th 2005, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

We too havent been before, but come next July we shall be stepping onto Australian soil permanently.

We have done loads of research, and spoke to lots of people, we think we are ready, but wont reallly know until we get there I suppose.

You only live once, may as well live it.

Where abouts are you hoping to head to?
Old Oct 14th 2005, 5:58 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

We moved to the Melbourne area in Aug and have never visited the country before. We researched thoroughly before coming though and felt that we had done everything we could (except do a reccie) to plan for the move. We did think about doing a reccie but then decided that the money spent on doing this could be put to use elsewhere once over here. Good luck with your plans and hope everything works out for you.

Lorraine
Old Oct 14th 2005, 6:05 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

We came and never visited...and we luuuuuuuuuurve it

It's luck of the draw I reckon.

Some have visited, come to live here, and it's not been for them.

Others [like us] never been here and love it.

Everyone to their own, but for us we said a holiday would not give us a true feel for what real life in Aus would be. For others, they need to see the place to get an idea of whether it would suit them or not.

No right, no wrong and I don't think there's a majic formula. It's either for you or not.

And you wont know until you're livin here.....

Good luck
Old Oct 14th 2005, 6:25 am
Account Closed

Barron is an unknown quantity at this point

We never visited either just turned up with container following later that was 14 months ago and would never return to the UK,dont miss shops,walker crisps or the traffic on the M25.We have two very settled teens with us as well.Good luck

Sally
Old Oct 14th 2005, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

lovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nice

Hello, Not the answer you are looking for but I go every two yrs for Xmas and new year. We have our PR visa's and are making the move for good in April-May 06.
Just go for it as I cant think why anyone wouldnt like it. I wish I had gone all those years ago instead of waiting until now, but HEY good luck in whichever way you decide to do it.
Josie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.