Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Occupational therapy registration in Oz

Occupational therapy registration in Oz

Old Feb 20th 2015, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

elainen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Occupational therapy registration in Oz

Hi, I am looking to move to Oz in January 2016. I'm an occupational therapist and will have a years experience prior to moving there.

I researched registration in Oz and New Zealand. It seems like an easier process with New Zealand and I'm aware you can use that registration in Australia. I was wondering has anyone done this, registered with New Zealand but worked in Australia?
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 5:18 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Occupational therapy registration in Oz

Originally Posted by elainen
Hi, I am looking to move to Oz in January 2016. I'm an occupational therapist and will have a years experience prior to moving there.

I researched registration in Oz and New Zealand. It seems like an easier process with New Zealand and I'm aware you can use that registration in Australia. I was wondering has anyone done this, registered with New Zealand but worked in Australia?
Do you have a visa allowing you to live and work in Australia?

Here's the registration for Australia. Take a read and see what you need to do. Occupational Therapy Board of Australia - Registration
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 6:50 am
Just Joined

I have not yet got my visa to live and work there. I'm away to start that process this week also.
I've had a look at the Australia and New Zealand registrations and it appears easier with new Zealand. but could I go straight to Australia with an overseas New Zealand registration?
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 7:30 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

could I go straight to Australia with an overseas New Zealand registration?
What does it say in the link I provided?
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 10:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
What does it say in the link I provided?
It doesn't say if that's possible or if I will need to work in New Zealand first beforehand.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

DibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really nice

Requirements for overseas-trained occupational therapists - Occupational Therapy Australia Ltd

New Zealand Registered Occupational Therapists
The exception to the above requirement is that occupational therapists who are eligible for registration in New Zealand may be automatically eligible to practice in most states of Australia, except WA due to the introduction of the Trans Tasmania Mutual Recognition Agreement.

If for example, you are a British trained occupational therapist who has sat the NZOTRB exam in New Zealand and are registered to practice in New Zealand – you may be eligible to work in Australia.

Hope that helps
Old Feb 25th 2015, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Hi DibDob, thanks for your help.
I am unsure if that means I will have to use a New Zealand registration in New Zealand first or if I could go straight to Australia with that registration.
I am aware that it is difficult to get employers in australia to employ overseas OTs without full AHPRA registration as it requires 6 months supervised practice.
It seems like its going to be a difficult process.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

RoisinJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
I'm an OT heading to Oz next month and have just learned of this "simpler" way to register! Is it too good to be true? Have you learned of you need to practice in NZ firstly before you can be registered in Australia also? πŸ˜€The APHRA seems very tough!😁
Old Jul 8th 2015, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RoisinJ
Hi there,
I'm an OT heading to Oz next month and have just learned of this "simpler" way to register! Is it too good to be true? Have you learned of you need to practice in NZ firstly before you can be registered in Australia also? πŸ˜€The APHRA seems very tough!😁
Hi,
I never found out the answer to be honest. I have now actually decided to go to New Zealand and work for a year or so and then I will transfer my registration over to Oz through AHPRA (hopefully). I am now registered to work in New Zealand and will get my practice certificate once i have a date to move.
It was so much easier to get registered in New Zealand than it would have been in Oz. And once I have completed 6months of work I will be completely registered and can apply to Oz then. 😎
Apologies I couldn't find out the answer but if you do find out would you mind letting me know through this.
Thank you 😬
Old Jun 7th 2016, 4:07 am
Just Joined

mreilly is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone went ahead with this and is now practicing either in Aus or NZ?

I'm currently in Aus trying to work the system with no luck and am considering moving to NZ to get registered!

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks
Old Jun 8th 2016, 10:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mreilly
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone went ahead with this and is now practicing either in Aus or NZ?

I'm currently in Aus trying to work the system with no luck and am considering moving to NZ to get registered!

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks
Hi,
So I am currently working in Auckland. Plenty of jobs in the private sector here and from what I have learned there are a good few in mental health as well. It's a little more difficult to get into hospitals with a working holiday visa but it's still do-able.
I currently work for a private company dealing with ACC claims.
If you require any guidance I can try help.
I heard it's quite difficult in Oz just now.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

JessicaB90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there can anyone guide me on completing my NZ OT registration? I am really struggling with it and have no one to ask! Hopefully someone is out there
Old Jun 9th 2017, 2:21 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by JessicaB90
Hi there can anyone guide me on completing my NZ OT registration? I am really struggling with it and have no one to ask! Hopefully someone is out there
Maybe try the New Zealand forum?
Old Oct 8th 2017, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

elliemay is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I never found out the answer to be honest. I have now actually decided to go to New Zealand and work for a year or so and then I will transfer my registration over to Oz through AHPRA (hopefully). I am now registered to work in New Zealand and will get my practice certificate once i have a date to move.
It was so much easier to get registered in New Zealand than it would have been in Oz. And once I have completed 6months of work I will be completely registered and can apply to Oz then. 😎
Apologies I couldn't find out the answer but if you do find out would you mind letting me know through this.
Thank you 😬
I appreciate you posted this a couple of years ago now! I was just wondering if you would be able to clarify something for me...

Im hoping to move over to Australia to work for a year on a working holiday visa next year and the AHPRA route seems incredibly tough!

Im looking into registering in New Zealand then moving over to Oz... am i right in thinking from your message that i would have to complete 6 months practice in New Zealand before i could go to work in Australia?

Im finding it all a bit of a mine field trying to work out how to do this so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 16th 2018, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

benedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by elliemay
I appreciate you posted this a couple of years ago now! I was just wondering if you would be able to clarify something for me...

Im hoping to move over to Australia to work for a year on a working holiday visa next year and the AHPRA route seems incredibly tough!

Im looking into registering in New Zealand then moving over to Oz... am i right in thinking from your message that i would have to complete 6 months practice in New Zealand before i could go to work in Australia?

Im finding it all a bit of a mine field trying to work out how to do this so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!
i have sent you a private message

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.