Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Occupational Therapy in Brisbane

Occupational Therapy in Brisbane

Old Apr 13th 2009, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

FranKoko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Occupational Therapy in Brisbane

Hi, I'm an Occupational Therapist working in Childs and Adolescent Mental Health (Band 6 - the old Senior I) currently living in SW England and my fiancee and I are seriously looking at emigrating to Brisbane (various reasons that we're looking there). We've looked at some previous threads but we can't PM anyone until we have a few posts under our belt...so here goes!

We are trying to find out from Expat Occupational Therapists working in Brisbane how life compares to the UK, how the profession compares, etc. Can anyone share their experiences with us - good or bad?

We were coming over in July to check things out but this has been put back until the end of the year now - at least we'll experience the heat!

We've checked out rates of pay, etc - this is more about how actually living there is from day to day.

We're probably going to get the process going now rather than waiting to get over and look around first...at least the ball's rolling then!
Old Apr 13th 2009, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

LM109 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Occupational Therapy in Brisbane

Originally Posted by FranKoko
Hi, I'm an Occupational Therapist working in Childs and Adolescent Mental Health (Band 6 - the old Senior I) currently living in SW England and my fiancee and I are seriously looking at emigrating to Brisbane (various reasons that we're looking there). We've looked at some previous threads but we can't PM anyone until we have a few posts under our belt...so here goes!

We are trying to find out from Expat Occupational Therapists working in Brisbane how life compares to the UK, how the profession compares, etc. Can anyone share their experiences with us - good or bad?

We were coming over in July to check things out but this has been put back until the end of the year now - at least we'll experience the heat!

We've checked out rates of pay, etc - this is more about how actually living there is from day to day.

We're probably going to get the process going now rather than waiting to get over and look around first...at least the ball's rolling then!
Hi There,
I have sent you a PM.
Lisa
Old Apr 14th 2009, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

Hi. Thanks for the PM! However, I can't open it until I've done over three posts....so here's one! Please bear with me!
Old Apr 15th 2009, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

LM109 is on a distinguished road

Hi. Thanks for the PM! However, I can't open it until I've done over three posts....so here's one! Please bear with me!
Don't worry you will get the PM eventually.
I am an OT and have been over here since Jan 08, so have been through all the registration and moving and settling process.
speak soon
Lisa
Old Apr 15th 2009, 9:27 pm
HEL
EEN

HEL is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey there!

Im also an OT been over here since 2005. Worked in Toowoomba briefly (2002?when backpacking) then for a couple of organisations in Brisbane and finally Qld Health in Ipswich. Finished work in July 2008 when i had my daughter, as yet to return.

Would strongly recomemend Qld Health rather than a 'not for profit' e.g. Spiritus, Bluecare etc organisaton for various reasons. There are often vacancies in Child and Adolescent M/H it just depends where you live as to where you could reasonably travel to. e.g. To work at Prince Charles you would have to live North of the city (imo) - crossing city is a nightmare!

My UK background was mainly psychiatry but i chose Aged Care over here as now prefer it.

Good luck with the process - have you been to brisbane before? Happy to give you any further info if i can help.

Helen
Old Apr 19th 2009, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that Helen. I'll send you a pm
Fran
Old Apr 20th 2009, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Don't know anything about Occupational Therapy, but you have made a good choice deciding on Brisbane! We moved up here from NSW last year and love it. If you come at the end of the year it should be lovely weather. The time to avoid is Feb / March when the humidity is PHEW!!!

Good luck with the move

Rudi
Old Apr 21st 2009, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Hi Rudi,

Thanks for the feedback - we should've been checking Brisbane out in july but it's been put off...as I said...gutted! It's nice to get a good report on our targeted area!