Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Obtaining Driving Licence in WA

Obtaining Driving Licence in WA

Old Sep 11th 2005, 6:51 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Obtaining Driving Licence in WA

Hope this might be useful to anyone going to WA.

Please let me know if you think it may be any different? I searched the site and it looks like some states require you to take a theory test but it doesn't look like you need to in WA

Driving in WA

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/index.html

You must apply for a WA driver's licence within three months of your arrival.

To apply for a WA licence with your overseas licence, you will need to attend at a Licensing centre or agency (found on website above) with:

• your overseas driver's licence
• proof of identity. Primary proof (UK photo licence, passport) Secondary proof (ATM card, credit card, utility bill)
• residency in WA (document with WA address on it eg house rental agreement, council rate notice, bank statement).

If you are the holder of a licence from a 'recognised country', you are not required to sit the road rules theory test (includes United Kingdom).
When you have met all of the above requirements, you will then be required to:

• complete an application form that includes questions regarding;
• any medical conditions you may have that could affect your driving; and
• any traffic or criminal convictions that you have
• pass an eyesight test
• pay a transfer application fee of $ 41.80 and a licence fee of $ 33.80 (1 year) or $ 107.30 (5 year)

The final step in getting your WA driver's licence is having your photograph taken and your signature recorded for use on your new plastic licence card. You do not have to hand in your overseas driver's licence to us.

This is just relevant to cars - different rules apply for HGVs.

Last edited by wavy_davy; Sep 11th 2005 at 6:55 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2005, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Location: UK to Crete, Back to UK and moved to Perth in March 2006 - yippee! Loving it!!!
adenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud of
Default Re: Obtaining Driving Licence in WA

Originally Posted by wavy_davy

Please let me know if you think it may be any different? I searched the site and it looks like some states require you to take a theory test but it doesn't look like you need to in WA

Driving in WA

To apply for a WA licence with your overseas licence, you will need to attend at a Licensing centre or agency (found on website above) with:

• proof of identity. Primary proof (UK photo licence, passport) Secondary proof (ATM card, credit card, utility bill)
• residency in WA (document with WA address on it eg house rental agreement, council rate notice, bank statement).

If you are the holder of a licence from a 'recognised country', you are not required to sit the road rules theory test (includes United Kingdom).

• pass an eyesight test
• pay a transfer application fee of $ 41.80 and a licence fee of $ 33.80 (1 year) or $ 107.30 (5 year)

The final step in getting your WA driver's licence is having your photograph taken and your signature recorded for use on your new plastic licence card. You do not have to hand in your overseas driver's licence to us.

Phew, that's a weight off of our minds. I don't think I could get through a driving test now, let alone a theory test. Its been too long since I had to do all of that.
Old Sep 11th 2005, 8:11 pm
Don't mention the Spiders

GoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant future

I was under the impression that all the above is true if you have your PR, but if you are on a temp visa you carry on on your UK license - am I getting the wrong end of the stick? (again!)
Old Sep 11th 2005, 8:24 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adenray
Phew, that's a weight off of our minds. I don't think I could get through a driving test now, let alone a theory test. Its been too long since I had to do all of that.

My thoughts exactly!
Old Sep 11th 2005, 8:25 pm
Drifting back to earth

Originally Posted by GoingToOz
I was under the impression that all the above is true if you have your PR, but if you are on a temp visa you carry on on your UK license - am I getting the wrong end of the stick? (again!)
Hi, I think you are correct. We are hoping to have PR so that's what I was looking at. Sorry if I confused you!
Old Sep 12th 2005, 11:43 am

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by GoingToOz
If you are on a temp visa, you are allowed to drive on your UK licence for the first 12 months... after that, you have to apply for a WA licence. See http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/m.../overseas.html for more info.
Old Sep 12th 2005, 2:48 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent, I was just going to post asking about this!!!
Old Sep 13th 2005, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

suzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant future
Wink Re: Obtaining Driving Licence in WA

Originally Posted by wavy_davy

Driving in WA

• pass an eyesight test

Hmmm. Been thinking about this, and it sounds great. But I intend to have a few driving lessons anyway to familiarise myself with the rules regarding different road markings, junctions and traffic lights etc as having been to Perth, and been driven by my daughter in law, realised that although they drive on the same side of the road, thats is the only similarity to UK