British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Obtaining discounts on mortgages using Mortgage Brokers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/obtaining-discounts-mortgages-using-mortgage-brokers-483814/)

windsordave Sep 27th 2007 5:27 am

Obtaining discounts on mortgages using Mortgage Brokers

Hi all

We're just about to sign up for a mortgage but were wondering if any of you have managed to get a discount on your mortgage rate when getting a mortgage through a broker (or even managed to get any fees waived).

Thanks
Dave

hoofie2002 Sep 28th 2007 8:45 am

Re: Obtaining discounts on mortgages using Mortgage Brokers

Originally Posted by windsordave (Post 5359224)
Hi all

We're just about to sign up for a mortgage but were wondering if any of you have managed to get a discount on your mortgage rate when getting a mortgage through a broker (or even managed to get any fees waived).

Thanks
Dave

Any discount or fee waiver is up to the mortgage company providing the loan, not the broker - all he gets is his fee from the deal. However, at least a broker will know what deals are out there.

tabby Sep 28th 2007 10:57 am

Hi all

Thanks
Dave

You should be charged a broker fee we have used a broker to secure 5 home loans this year and not paid a fee once, the loan company paid them

Martin

longreach Oct 2nd 2007 4:17 am

Hi all

Thanks
Dave

Hi Dave,

A good mortgage broker should be able to get the best deal for you. Remember that the rate is not the only thing to compare between products... setup fees, admin fees, exit fees, frequency, offset capability etc all effect the cost of your mortgage. For example, one product mat have a 0.25% higher rate but have no setup fees, admin fees etc and will be overall cheaper.

Also, ensure that your broker is offering the best product for you, and not the product that offers them the best comission. I know I fell into this trap when I first arrived... hence why I decided to become one myself so I could help my fellow expats avoid the same mistakes :)

Good luck,
Mark.

longreach Oct 2nd 2007 4:17 am

Originally Posted by tabby (Post 5363486)
You should be charged a broker fee we have used a broker to secure 5 home loans this year and not paid a fee once, the loan company paid them

Martin

You should NEVER pay a fee to a mortgage broker!

tabby Oct 2nd 2007 5:01 am

Originally Posted by longreach (Post 5376596)
You should NEVER pay a fee to a mortgage broker!

Ooooopppppsssss typo :D