Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

observations in oz

observations in oz

Old Oct 8th 2003, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all
Default observations in oz

well, we've been here since 27th september and up to yesterday have been in sydney with my brother. the weather was dull and rainy most of the time by the way. whilst there we went into the city a few times, took driving test and passed, signed up for medicare, got tax file no. sorted and collected (switch type) cards from the bank and arranged credit cards which should arrive any day. it was a great help having a permanent address to quote and having someone here to verify details for us be a referee. we have used steve's address for everything. its all been quite easy, people been so helpful every step of the way, the driver knowledge test (DKT) especially, bbok online the day before, turn up, take it then walk away with licence, very impressed.
food - can get nescafe, kelloggs, cadburys, pork pies, good bacon, sausage - all those things people worry about when abroad!!!!
switched to vodaphone pay as you go with nokias brought from uk, easy.
we have a new car, (did need aus licence first) it is great, a mazda dual cab ute, driven half way to queensland yesterday. currently in port macquarie where we stayed in a motel overnight. woken to a beautiful sunny morning and just had breakfast overlooking the water.
we have been drinking and eating in the rsl clubs, fantastic value! eat as much as you want for 12$!
the eftpos card is working well, just key in pin no. - no signing required.
enjoying our new adventure, ready for second leg of journey now. will give update soon.
karen
Old Oct 8th 2003, 12:51 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: observations in oz

Originally posted by karenvirginia
well, we've been here since 27th september and up to yesterday have been in sydney with my brother. the weather was dull and rainy most of the time by the way. whilst there we went into the city a few times, took driving test and passed, signed up for medicare, got tax file no. sorted and collected (switch type) cards from the bank and arranged credit cards which should arrive any day. it was a great help having a permanent address to quote and having someone here to verify details for us be a referee. we have used steve's address for everything. its all been quite easy, people been so helpful every step of the way, the driver knowledge test (DKT) especially, bbok online the day before, turn up, take it then walk away with licence, very impressed.
food - can get nescafe, kelloggs, cadburys, pork pies, good bacon, sausage - all those things people worry about when abroad!!!!
switched to vodaphone pay as you go with nokias brought from uk, easy.
we have a new car, (did need aus licence first) it is great, a mazda dual cab ute, driven half way to queensland yesterday. currently in port macquarie where we stayed in a motel overnight. woken to a beautiful sunny morning and just had breakfast overlooking the water.
we have been drinking and eating in the rsl clubs, fantastic value! eat as much as you want for 12$!
the eftpos card is working well, just key in pin no. - no signing required.
enjoying our new adventure, ready for second leg of journey now. will give update soon.
karen

I'm glad you passed your driving test, but when you get to QLD aren't you going to have to take it again?
Old Oct 8th 2003, 1:06 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by renth
I'm glad you passed your driving test, but when you get to QLD aren't you going to have to take it again?
In NSW the RTA convert Aussie licenses without any tests.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by bondipom
Yea they will convert it ok, but I bet they want a dollop of dosh to do it.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 1:43 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

But she's going form NSW to QLD?
Old Oct 8th 2003, 2:48 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by renth
But she's going form NSW to QLD?
Yep but pointing out that QLD might have the same arrangement as these things tend to be reciprocal. Some Kind person might even post the QLD RTA equivalent page up.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 2:59 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yep but pointing out that QLD might have the same arrangement as these things tend to be reciprocal. Some Kind person might even post the QLD RTA equivalent page up.
Qld Transport

Basically says you can transfer, no details of cost though. My guess is just the cost of a Qld Licence ($65 or there abouts for 5 years)
Old Oct 8th 2003, 3:05 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Qld Transport

Basically says you can transfer, no details of cost though. My guess is just the cost of a Qld Licence ($65 or there abouts for 5 years)
Can you get the five year one though - in NSW you have to take a three year one first, not allowed five year one till you have served a few years!

The proof of residency is a tough one, though legally you can drive on UK licence for three months, time enough to get accommodatiod sorted. Is there a time limit to get licence changed when moving interstate?
Old Oct 8th 2003, 3:39 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sandra
Can you get the five year one though - in NSW you have to take a three year one first, not allowed five year one till you have served a few years!

The proof of residency is a tough one, though legally you can drive on UK licence for three months, time enough to get accommodatiod sorted. Is there a time limit to get licence changed when moving interstate?
Sandra, heres more info on
transferring a licence from interstate . It says it will honour whatever length of time remaining on your licence & will transfer it free of charge.

Not sure about the time limit interstate, this page mentions having to change it if you intending staying in Qld longer than 3 months, but thats all I could really find. Doesnt seem to mention a time limit except in relation to changing address on your current Qld licence (14 days).
Old Oct 8th 2003, 3:47 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Sandra

Time limit is three months for interstate drivers like the overseas licence.

Proof of residency.. just a utility bill, rental agreement, rates bill .. anything will do.

It is open for abuse. I've been PR for over Two years and still driving on Brit licence (before that I didn't need one) . I am going to get my licence.. but it's hard to get to the transport offices (they are only open during business hours.. weekdays)

I could tell you some stories about how easy it is to abuse but I won't. Put it this way my friend who was banned from driving in NSW easily got a QLD licence.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

james & bev is an unknown quantity at this point

we arrived in sydney on the 27th sept aswell, currently sorting out a house. We have not done anything yet with driving licences though I did get flashed by a speed camera last week (not paying enough attention) doing about 75kmh in a 60, anyone know how that will work out re points on new licence. Obviously Avis have my UK licence details.

Also if you don't mind paying a bit extra on the rental a good tip for some might be to get one with sat nav we have found it great for getting around the city and different suburbs house hunting.

the one saving grace on the speed camera was at least it was the day before the double demerit points came in for the long weekend holiday.

James
Old Oct 8th 2003, 10:45 am
tennisoz

Originally posted by james & bev
we arrived in sydney on the 27th sept aswell, currently sorting out a house. We have not done anything yet with driving licences though I did get flashed by a speed camera last week (not paying enough attention) doing about 75kmh in a 60, anyone know how that will work out re points on new licence. Obviously Avis have my UK licence details.

Also if you don't mind paying a bit extra on the rental a good tip for some might be to get one with sat nav we have found it great for getting around the city and different suburbs house hunting.

the one saving grace on the speed camera was at least it was the day before the double demerit points came in for the long weekend holiday.

James
My Victorian experience was that I got 1 demerit point for being 7K's over in a 90 but the demerit points in Vic are on a scale depending how many K's you are over. I would presume it is the same type of system in other states. I know I got nabbed but it is a good idea that they have cameras everywhere and I am in favour of the double demerit points for the busy long weekends. (Try not exceeding 70 mph on the motorway in the UK and see what looks you get - even in the inside lane!)

TennisOz

P.S. Can anyone tell me why most countries allow cars to be built which will exceed in some cases twice the speed limit when they also put 'governers' on buses and other commercial vehicles to stop them exceeding the limit??

Old Oct 8th 2003, 10:48 am
tennisoz

Originally posted by karenvirginia
Sorry Karen, nice to read of your experiences.

Good luck

TennisOz

Old Oct 8th 2003, 11:55 am
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute

[

P.S. Can anyone tell me why most countries allow cars to be built which will exceed in some cases twice the speed limit when they also put 'governers' on buses and other commercial vehicles to stop them exceeding the limit?? [/QUOTE]

That's what I always wonder Tennis Oz! Our new car is 'limited' at 135 mph - what's the point of that? When am I going to be able to do 135????
Old Oct 10th 2003, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

hi, ref the licence, we only took the year ones in case we end up in queensland, not sure yet. may stay in north nsw as re-registering the vehicle is another factor.
property is going through the roof, as i'm sure you are all aware. its quite a shock, thought we would be able to find a run down place in need of renovation for $250k but nothing available unless you want to live up a mountain in a rainforest miles from anywhere! we hoped we'd not need to borrow any money but looks like we will after all.
last two days were harder than being at work! driving round looking at places all day. also need to find rental for first six months. think we have one for good price about 90 pounds a week right on the edge of a lake in tweed heads. seeing the owner in an hour.
we will be in the thick of it tonight at seagulls club to watch the rugby, thats all thats on tv!!

karen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.