Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Obscure Rules in Oz

Obscure Rules in Oz

Old May 13th 2005, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obscure Rules in Oz

You must not leave home without a supply of plastic bags in which to pick up your dogs poo, and carry it nice steamy and warm to the next bin which will probably be 2klm away. Fines for this range from $150.00 to thousands.
but true.
Old May 13th 2005, 5:47 am
Badge

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Have taken Larissa's idea and started a thread that might be useful to us all.

This is following on from my:

'You must park in the direction of the traffic flow or you will get a parking fine. If this saves a couple of people from the $50.00 I've just had to pay that would be great!'

Everyone else. If you know any odd/obscure Oz rules and regulations could you post them here and we can all learn something/have a laugh?!!

Mrs J
I've heard of this, but it is fair, not really obscure. As someone at work said,

i) means you have driven on the other side of the road
ii) you are likely to cause a greater chance of accident when leaving..

Badge

Old May 13th 2005, 5:49 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
I've heard of this, but it is fair, not really obscure. As someone at work said,

i) means you have driven on the other side of the road
ii) you are likely to cause a greater chance of accident when leaving..

Badge
I thought the reason was that you have reflectors on the rear of your car but none on the front for oncoming traffic at night to see.

ANYWAY - surprised no one has mentioned that you are NOT allowed to change electric plugs! (Unless you are a qulaified sparky AND inspector)

Andrew
Old May 13th 2005, 5:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

This ones got some of the new arrivals really amazed.

To be in the running for a waitress job serving coffee you need to have completed a course and gained a certificate at Tafe. Same for being a barmaid.
Old May 13th 2005, 5:56 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

The barking, howling or whining of a dog may be considered to be excessive if it occurs for more than a total of:
• Six (6) minutes in any hour from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. on any day.
• Three (3) minutes in any 30 minute period from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. on any day.

My dog can't tell the time! Should have got a watch dog!

Andrew
Old May 13th 2005, 5:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Smoking on the beach is an offence, and fineable of course.

Smoking near a playground/shop/building/restaurant/hospital/pub is an offence and yes you guessed it a fine.

** All posts are for the laugh factor and you should of course check with your own State, council, police, warden, housing estate, landlord, covenant, legal body, and anyone else who seeks to profit from you.
Old May 13th 2005, 5:58 am
Badge

Originally Posted by renth
You're not allowed to leave kids in a car unattended. You can go to jail for that.
this is a variation of a law in the UK in which kids under 14 can not be left [even at home] unattended. In theory. So it is probably part of all that. At least at home they have access to water and food and shelter from the sun.

Badge

Old May 13th 2005, 5:59 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by andrew63
The barking, howling or whining of a dog may be considered to be excessive if it occurs for more than a total of:
• Six (6) minutes in any hour from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. on any day.
• Three (3) minutes in any 30 minute period from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. on any day.

My dog can't tell the time! Should have got a watch dog!

Andrew
I hope he gets good pocket money...the fines are rather on the hefty side I believe.
Old May 13th 2005, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by andrew63
I thought the reason was that you have reflectors on the rear of your car but none on the front for oncoming traffic at night to see.

ANYWAY - surprised no one has mentioned that you are NOT allowed to change electric plugs! (Unless you are a qulaified sparky AND inspector)

Andrew
Yes I was amazed when I learned about that. When I first arrived I happily went out and bought half a dozen plugs and spent a contented afternoon Australianising my hairdryer, favourite lamp, hairtongs, food mixer etc etc. When I mentioned this at work everyone gasped and said, " But you can't DO that, it's illegal, you have to get an electrician!!" ... "Nonsense!" said I, "I've been wiring plugs for years and I'm not changing now" More looks of amazement :scared: Well, that was 18yrs ago and I'm not dead yet...Mind you, I what I do like is everything comes with a plug when you buy it, no separate trek to the hardware shop and fiddling with screwdrivers etc - just take it home and away you go!
Old May 13th 2005, 6:00 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Badge
this is a variation of a law in the UK in which kids under 14 can not be left [even at home] unattended. In theory. So it is probably part of all that. At least at home they have access to water and food and shelter from the sun.

Badge
In a car in Qld, they tend to boil.
Old May 13th 2005, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Del Boy
I hope he gets good pocket money...the fines are rather on the hefty side I believe.
My God I feel terrible. Used to leave Littlen in the car while I paid for petrol.

Mind you, my Mum recently told me that she used to go to coffee mornings (my Dad was in the RAF) during my nap times (she left me at home). No thought for fire or anything!
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Adults and children must always wear a bike helmet or you guessed it its a FINE.
Badge

Originally Posted by jad n rich
This ones got some of the new arrivals really amazed.

To be in the running for a waitress job serving coffee you need to have completed a course and gained a certificate at Tafe. Same for being a barmaid.
I wasn't amazed. I realised I was in a country where things are just....different....

I suspect it applies to drink...in theory, you are expected to know that you cannot serve people who should not drink any more...etc etc

in other countries, this is taken as a given, (there is probably legislation too)in Australia they choose to legislate and govern it...via courses...

It is not as if the course takes hours or weeks. (as far as I know) it is like the course you do to work in the mines. You still get paid to take the course ....money easily earnt..

Badge

Old May 13th 2005, 6:04 am
Absinthe Minded

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Adults and children must always wear a bike helmet or you guessed it its a FINE.
and there are some snazzy ones around aren't there...no chance of looking like a dork...
Old May 13th 2005, 6:05 am
Absinthe Minded

Originally Posted by Del Boy
and there are some snazzy ones around aren't there...no chance of looking like a dork...
and polystyrene offers such effective protection against being run over by a v8 ute

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.