Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZIS comment re visas and job search

NZIS comment re visas and job search

Old Dec 22nd 2003, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really nice
Default NZIS comment re visas and job search

Hi all

There's been a bit of comment here about whetehr or not UK people and others can look for a job on a Visitor Visa, with some people getting "sprung" on arrival carrying CVs and laptops etc.

NZIS do differentiate between a permit and visa - permit is on arrival and most UK people get this, a visa is decided and issued before departure.

I sent an email of to NZIS, and here's the reply. It appears that they still don't fully understand the situation.

However if this applies to you, you might like to print the mesage and take it with you to use if necessary on arrival, you could also take note of the idea to get a VV first if your need is to look for work.

If you apply for VV even though not absolutely necessary, the visa will be notarised with need to seek and attend job interviews and that should sort out any problems on arrival. Then you can fill your suitcases with CVs without fear :-)

Dear Mr Smith,
Thank you for contacting the New Zealand Immigration Service with your query, dated 13/12/2003 1:20:49 a.m..
Your question was:
I have many clients who want to come to visit NZ to do research for LTBV. I also know that many people want to come to look for jobs under GSC or SMC.

The visitor visa policy is unclear about what can and cannot be done on visitor visa. I know of UK and other people turned back at the border who had 100 CVs and laptop with them, about to embark on job search. They were told thgat visitor visa does not allow people to search for work. Others have been declined visitor visa for busines rsearch on the grounds that if they were coming to research business, well, they couldn't be a visitor then as they obviously wanted to migrate permanently!

Can you please clarify these points and provide a source that I can quote. I then want to post the reply on my website, email to my immigration agent clients and also add to internet forums.

Thank you

Jamie Smith
NZ Business Planners Ltd
tel 09 479 4580
The answer to your question is:
Dear Mr Smith

Visitors are considered to be coming to New Zealand for a lawful purpose (ie as genuine visitors) if they are coming for the purposes of:

§ holidaying
§ sightseeing
§ family and social visits
§ amateur sport
§ business consultation
§ medical treatment; and

they are not intending to undertake employment or a course of study or training, other than a single course of study or training that lasts no more than 3 calendar months.
If you do not meet these conditions you may be refused entry to NZ.

If your true intent for entering NZ is anything other than what is stated above, but you still believe you have a genuine reason to request a visitor visa/permit, I suggest you apply for one prior to travelling, with evidence of your reasons and an explanation letter. I cannot guarantee an outcome for you, but at least you will know the decision prior to landing in NZ.

If you wish to explore employment opportunities in NZ, I would advise that you refer to the following websites:

Http://www.workingin.com
Http://www.kiwicareers.govt.nz
Http://www.winz.govt.nz

Yours Sincerely
Mirta Kezic
New Zealand Immigration Service

NZIS Customer Service Officer