Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ: Weather near to Wellington

NZ: Weather near to Wellington

Old Sep 10th 2003, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

icklepickle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ: Weather near to Wellington

I was chatting to a lady that lived in the Bays near to Wellington and she said that while Wellington was very windy and cold, the Bays were much warmer, up to 10 degrees warmer at times.

Can anyone tell me how far up the coast you need to move to get the warmer weather (or to loose the wind)? Are there train links into Wellington from these areas?

Also we liked the Porirua City area, does anyone on here live there? If so can you tell me what it is like as a place to live?

Many thanks
Old Sep 10th 2003, 8:51 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ: Weather near to Wellington

Originally posted by icklepickle
I was chatting to a lady that lived in the Bays near to Wellington and she said that while Wellington was very windy and cold, the Bays were much warmer, up to 10 degrees warmer at times.

Can anyone tell me how far up the coast you need to move to get the warmer weather (or to loose the wind)? Are there train links into Wellington from these areas?

Also we liked the Porirua City area, does anyone on here live there? If so can you tell me what it is like as a place to live?

Many thanks

The Bays? She may actually have meant places like Days Bays etc around Eastbourne which is on the other side of the harbour. I was there recently and it was quite idylic, sheltered from the prevaling southerly wind and a bit of a suntrap too, surrounded by native bush.

I don't think Porirua, Parapauraumu, etc up the west coast from Wellington would be classified by locals as the Bays (although it is fair to say they do have better weather).

Just past Porirua the motorway ends and there is a bottleneck 2 lane bridge that has been notorious for congestion. Maybe they are widening it now? Titahi Bay at Porirua is a good place to live and getting more popular too.

There is a commuter train service at least to Porirua, but I think it goes even further up the coast too.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Southerner.

I don't think Porirua, Parapauraumu, etc up the west coast from Wellington would be classified by locals as the Bays (although it is fair to say they do have better weather).
She said that the commute into Wellington was quite tricky and would take about an hour.

I've just asked my husband (who was listening to my conversion the with lady) and he thinks that she might have meants bays along the coast between Wellington and Napier.

Do you live in Wellington?

Regards,
Old Sep 10th 2003, 10:55 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by icklepickle
Thanks Southerner.

She said that the commute into Wellington was quite tricky and would take about an hour.

I've just asked my husband (who was listening to my conversion the with lady) and he thinks that she might have meants bays along the coast between Wellington and Napier.

Do you live in Wellington?

Regards,
No I am not a Windy city man - but my 2 sisters have lived there extensively and one is now settled there permanently.

Regards...
Old Sep 10th 2003, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

I should have guessed that by the fact that your location is Surbiton :-)

Cheers,
Old Sep 10th 2003, 11:36 am
NZ 2004 ... Inshallah

robernelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats interesting, Southerener. I have just applied for my first job with Housing New Zealand at the national office in Wellington. I don't know the city or surrounding area but work committments are likely to take me there, or possibly Chch. If I get an interview and need to go over I will check these areas out.

Anybody have any other recommendations? Anybody living there looking at this?

Rob
Old Sep 10th 2003, 12:19 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't licing in wellington since I was a kid, but I too am thinking of returning there.

in terms of suburbs you may want to look at the 'suburb profiles' which accompany the ads on the this property website: http://www.propertystuff.co.nz

they are probably of limited use as everywhere has good and bad streets and stats can be misleading, but good a for a general idea of demographics.

all I would say is that any properties which are sheltered from the wind and are sunny and near central city are at a premium - because of wellington's steep hills, the shade can come over early in the day. but then the because of the steep hils, the views are superb

a lot of people seem to be living up the kapiti coast and commuting in as the property is cheaper.