Reload this Page >

NZ Settlement fund transfer

NZ Settlement fund transfer

Old Nov 25th 2003, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

halk is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking NZ Settlement fund transfer

Hi, All,
I haven't post message on this forum for a while. However, I check this site frequently. You all are very helpful.
After I got a 6-month work search visa, I flew to NZ in August. I got a non-relevant job offer one month later, and the new skilled immigration law does not affect my case. I have noticed that my PR application has been approved in princeple. The last thing I have to do is to transfer settlement fund (NZ$100,000) from oversea to NZ. As the current US$ to NZ$ exchange rate so low, I am wondering if I can hold US dollar (equvalent to NZ$100,000 at current rate) in a NZ bank. Or I have to convert to NZ currency to satisfy NZIS officer.
Hope my case will be closed within two weeks.
Good luck to all.
Halk
Old Nov 25th 2003, 9:20 am
Just Joined

night-owl is an unknown quantity at this point
Question

hi,
at the risk of sounding really silly... whats a work search visa ???
Old Nov 25th 2003, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

A JSV (Job Search Visa) is a now defunct visa. If you couldn't quite meet the passmark (29 points at the time) but were within 5 points of it, and had not claimed any points for a job offer, you were invited to apply for a JSV which allowed you to travel to and remain in NZ for 6 months in order to look for work. Once you had found an acceptable job offer and sent the contract/offer letter to NZIS, you would then have enough points to push you over the PR passmark and would then be granted residence.

Due to the huge number of applicants for PR that were eligible for JSV's, NZIS ended this policy on 1st July 03, although people that applied Before 1/7/03 would still have their applications processed. Any lodged after 1/7/03 were returned.

In reply to Halk, you need to transfer your settlement funds to a NZ bank, and forward a bank statement to NZIS. Unfortunately, it does have to be a NZ bank rather than a US bank!

Russ.

Last edited by BritboyNZ; Nov 25th 2003 at 11:04 am.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 8:57 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Only NZD allowed at the final stage (ie getting the point/s). NZ bank deposit must be in NZD.

Originally posted by BritboyNZ
A JSV (Job Search Visa) is a now defunct visa. If you couldn't quite meet the passmark (29 points at the time) but were within 5 points of it, and had not claimed any points for a job offer, you were invited to apply for a JSV which allowed you to travel to and remain in NZ for 6 months in order to look for work. Once you had found an acceptable job offer and sent the contract/offer letter to NZIS, you would then have enough points to push you over the PR passmark and would then be granted residence.

Due to the huge number of applicants for PR that were eligible for JSV's, NZIS ended this policy on 1st July 03, although people that applied Before 1/7/03 would still have their applications processed. Any lodged after 1/7/03 were returned.

In reply to Halk, you need to transfer your settlement funds to a NZ bank, and forward a bank statement to NZIS. Unfortunately, it does have to be a NZ bank rather than a US bank!

Russ.