Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ residency processing times

NZ residency processing times

Old Sep 10th 2003, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

Andrew S is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ residency processing times

I am just about to submit a residency application (family category) for my English wife to the Auckland office (we are currently living in NZ). When I originally asked NZ immigration about this, they said it would take 2 to 3 months to process. However, I have just phoned them, and they are now saying it will take 9 to 12 months! :scared: This would be a problem, because she was wanting to return to the UK for her sister's wedding in 9 months.

Has anyone had recent experience with how long this process takes?

Many thanks,
Andrew
Old Sep 10th 2003, 11:35 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NZ residency processing times

Originally posted by Andrew S
I am just about to submit a residency application (family category) for my English wife to the Auckland office (we are currently living in NZ). When I originally asked NZ immigration about this, they said it would take 2 to 3 months to process. However, I have just phoned them, and they are now saying it will take 9 to 12 months! :scared: This would be a problem, because she was wanting to return to the UK for her sister's wedding in 9 months.

Many thanks,
Andrew
Can't say about family category but we are waiting for our residency visas on the general skills with job offer from within NZ. We are now in week 15 of the wait, submitted to Christchurch office they sent it to Sydney.

Paula
Old Sep 11th 2003, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Many thanks,
Andrew
Cant say about family category. I came to NZ on a Work Visa (which took two weeks) and subsequently submitted a PR application in Auckland in March......still waiting....
Old Sep 11th 2003, 4:15 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks,
Andrew
It wouldn't be a problem for you wife to go back to the UK for the wedding/ to live as the PR app will only be assessed on data you gave NZIS when the app was lodged. You can all go and live in Timbucto if youi feel like it - just leave contact details with NZIS.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 8:16 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks,
Andrew
My wife just got hers here in London in 2 months. That might be an option, although NZIS are talking about introducing something called Global Prioritisation which may mean it all averages out.

Did you specify it was the family category you were using? The 9-12 months sounds more like a general skills application where there is much more info to verify.

All the best..
Old Sep 11th 2003, 10:54 am
Just Joined

Andrew S is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by southerner
My wife just got hers here in London in 2 months. That might be an option, although NZIS are talking about introducing something called Global Prioritisation which may mean it all averages out.

Did you specify it was the family category you were using? The 9-12 months sounds more like a general skills application where there is much more info to verify.

All the best..

That's what i thought too, it sounds more like general skills timeframes. It is a pretty straight forward family category application, with me sponsoring my wife, so i can't see it taking very long. I have found with phoning NZIS I get a slightly different story depending on who I speak to. Oh well, all we can do is send it in and cross our fingers! Its just a bit of a worry sending off my wifes passport, having no idea when we will get it back.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 3:14 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

That's what i thought too, it sounds more like general skills timeframes. It is a pretty straight forward family category application, with me sponsoring my wife, so i can't see it taking very long. I have found with phoning NZIS I get a slightly different story depending on who I speak to. Oh well, all we can do is send it in and cross our fingers! Its just a bit of a worry sending off my wifes passport, having no idea when we will get it back.
If you submit the application in person you can get the passport back. This is what we did, in case we wanted to do an overseas trip.

Regards
Old Sep 11th 2003, 5:34 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

No need to send the passports until they are requested for visa sticker - certified copy will do for the app.