Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ Recommendations...

NZ Recommendations...

Old Aug 30th 2003, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Ben.M is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ Recommendations...

Can anyone in NZ who has 'lived the dream' recommend companies for the day to day things that need to be organised upon arrival such as -

Cars (where to buy new, 2nd hand, etc)
Buying Property (solicitors, surveys, etc)
Home (where to buy new & 2nd hand furniture, appliances, etc)
Insurance (car, contents, building, health, breakdown, etc)
ISP's (dial-up and broadband)
Mobile phones (what network, where to buy, etc)

I'm sure there are lots more so feel free to add any more that you can think of. I know some of these things have been mentioned before in various threads but wanted to try to consolidate them into one thread and then add links to my NZ Links Site.

Thanks,
Ben
Old Aug 31st 2003, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

hamiltonnz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ben, we live in the waikato and use a magazine called the "Loot" to buy second hand stuff. it has everything but not a large selection of houses. however everything is priced fairly cheaply. We brought a motor bike and a washing machine in the last 12 months. If we need anything we'll go there first. we have also sold our last car thru the Loot. there's another one called "Trade and exchange " which covers the central north island I think. Graham in Hamilton
Old Aug 31st 2003, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Graham, have added links to both.

Ben
Old Aug 31st 2003, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

SimonC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZ Recommendations...

Originally posted by Ben.M
Can anyone in NZ who has 'lived the dream' recommend companies for the day to day things that need to be organised upon arrival such as -

Cars (where to buy new, 2nd hand, etc)
Buying Property (solicitors, surveys, etc)
Home (where to buy new & 2nd hand furniture, appliances, etc)
Insurance (car, contents, building, health, breakdown, etc)
ISP's (dial-up and broadband)
Mobile phones (what network, where to buy, etc)

I'm sure there are lots more so feel free to add any more that you can think of. I know some of these things have been mentioned before in various threads but wanted to try to consolidate them into one thread and then add links to my NZ Links Site.

Thanks,
Ben
Hi Ben,

these might help.

A good Car place is 'The Family Car Company' in New North Road just up from Ponsonby. Really helpful and good choice of family cars - we got a Rav4 from them list price of $14,000 (abut right) and paid $11,000 cash

A good Property Solicitor is Guy Seton at 'Property Law Centre' in Greenlane.

Furniture and appliances - a good place is Wairu Park on the North Shore, lots of big discount places e.g. Furniture City, Bedtraders etc - we managed to kit out our house totally from shops in this area.

Insurance - We have used State Insurance for everything - they are pretty good and it is easy to set up policies with them over the phone - We probably should have shopped around for quotes but they kept giving us a discount for each policy (We have about 8 with them I think) so keeps gettting cheaper and cheaper

ISP - Xtra is the NZ Telecom one but quite expensive at $27.95 / month, Slingshot have just bought out one for $16.95 / month unlimited dial up - Broadband starts at about $50 / month I think.

Mobiles - Would recommend getting a pay as you go first of all before checking out all the deals on offer - more expensive for calls but your not locked in for a certain period. I ended up just buying a SIM Card for $35 for my UK phone - a 3 year old sony CMD Z5.

Let me know if there is anything else you can think off

Cheers,

Simon
Old Aug 31st 2003, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Simon, some useful links there. How does Wairau Park compare with the Albany Mega Centre?

Ben
Old Sep 1st 2003, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Dee_e56 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Thanks Ben

Hi Ben

I just wanted to tell you your web site is fab. We are hoping to move to NZ and your site has been so helpful. Keep up the good work and if I find any info that you don't have I will send it to you. I have given your web site address to loads of friends they all think its cool too.

Thanks
Old Sep 1st 2003, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Dee, makes it all worthwhile...

Ben
Old Sep 11th 2003, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

SimonC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ben.M
Thanks Simon, some useful links there. How does Wairau Park compare with the Albany Mega Centre?

Ben
Hi Ben,

Both are pretty similar - furtnished our house from Wairu Park - good for beds, sofa's, etc . Albany has briscoes which is really good for any small appliances, kitchen, bedroom stuff etc. Also has a warehouse (not sure if that is a good or bad thing!). I think Wairu Park has a lot more shops but is a lot busier at the week ends.

Simon
Old Sep 11th 2003, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, will check them both out...

Ben
Old Sep 11th 2003, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

Appro is an unknown quantity at this point

Ben,

Jeez, why didn't you tell me weeks ago, could have saved myself tons of time.

Good site fella!

Appro.