NZ to Oz

Old Oct 5th 2008, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default NZ to Oz

Hi all

I posted the other week saying that we would be moving from NZ to Oz in approx. 5 years... it's now going to be as soon as I've finished my degree in 2.5 years so am trying to find out as much as I can.

We did the whole UK to NZ move 18 months ago so I know how emigrating works, but just wondered if anyone made the hop over from NZ and what things we need to do.

Thanks in advance
Michelle x
Old Oct 5th 2008, 8:02 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ to Oz

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
Hi all

I posted the other week saying that we would be moving from NZ to Oz in approx. 5 years... it's now going to be as soon as I've finished my degree in 2.5 years so am trying to find out as much as I can.

We did the whole UK to NZ move 18 months ago so I know how emigrating works, but just wondered if anyone made the hop over from NZ and what things we need to do.

Thanks in advance
Michelle x
Choose a state and city
Come and have a reccie
Realise Oz is the good parts of NZ without the lack of money or opportunities.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Australia has more money and opportunities, other than that it does have a lot of other problems and downsides.

If salaries were on a par I'd be staying in NZ.

Food is definitely better in NZ and it is a lot cleaner. I would also prefer my children to grow up there.

Living in the endless suburbs of a large Australian city can be a bit soul-destroying too.

Other than that not much involved in migrating if you already have an NZ passport.

-Decide where to live
-Bank accounts are easy as in NZ.
-Get a tax number from the ATO when you arrive.
-Go to a Medicare office/website and sign up.

Last edited by sr71; Oct 5th 2008 at 8:16 am.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Choose a state and city
Come and have a reccie
Realise Oz is the good parts of NZ without the lack of money or opportunities.
1) Queensland - Brisbane/Gold Coast
2) Recce - in 5 weeks (Gold Coast)
3) Yippeeeee

Thankyou
Old Oct 5th 2008, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sr71
Australia has more money and opportunities, other than that it does have a lot of other problems and downsides.

If salaries were on a par I'd be staying in NZ.

Food is definitely better in NZ and it is a lot cleaner. I would also prefer my children to grow up there.

Living in the endless suburbs of a large Australian city can be a bit soul-destroying too.

Other than that not much involved in migrating if you already have an NZ passport.

-Decide where to live
-Bank accounts are easy as in NZ.
-Get a tax number from the ATO when you arrive.
-Go to a Medicare office/website and sign up.
I love it here in NZ, if the money for teachers was a lot better, I wouldn't contemplate moving. With 3 kids to feed and put through school/college, we can't afford it here. There is not much in the way of opportunities for my kids here neither, something we never did realise until actually living here, they will probably move on when they're older so we're giving them the option. We won't be getting our NZ passports, will have our IRRV so that's as good as a passport (ish).

Thankyou
Old Oct 5th 2008, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Might be worth looking at getting an NZ passport and seeing if that gives you any advantage in migrating to Australia, I think it makes it a lot easier even though it might cost a bit these days.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

I don't think you get much more than you do with PR. It will save us a packet on applying for PR, but we'll pay that with getting passports here. Plus it would mean staying here an extra 2 years on top of the 2.5 to do my degree. I could be completely wrong though, that's all part of the learning thing, and my reasons for asking here

From what I know, I'd much rather get Australian citizenship... opens a bit more of the world up to our children than NZ does.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 9:49 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
I don't think you get much more than you do with PR. It will save us a packet on applying for PR, but we'll pay that with getting passports here. Plus it would mean staying here an extra 2 years on top of the 2.5 to do my degree. I could be completely wrong though, that's all part of the learning thing, and my reasons for asking here

From what I know, I'd much rather get Australian citizenship... opens a bit more of the world up to our children than NZ does.
An NZ passport is not as good as PR for living in Oz, as it only gives you perpetual TR.

We have found Melbourne to offer the economy and work opportunities of London and a lifestyle better than NZ! (we have lived in NZ and London before).

Buzzy
Old Oct 5th 2008, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in NZ for eight years and so did my parents and then we came over to Aus. No comparison prefer Aus my Kiwi girl friend also came over at the same time in fact two of my kiwi friend have lived here long term now.

More opportunities here in Aus. NZ is ok but there are changes that have happened over the years which I do not like and obviously a lot of Kiwis do not like as the biggest export is NZ to Aus.

I have family in NZ and we visit and I like to visit but I like to live in Aus.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by 4Margaret
I lived in NZ for eight years and so did my parents and then we came over to Aus. No comparison prefer Aus my Kiwi girl friend also came over at the same time in fact two of my kiwi friend have lived here long term now.

More opportunities here in Aus. NZ is ok but there are changes that have happened over the years which I do not like and obviously a lot of Kiwis do not like as the biggest export is NZ to Aus.

I have family in NZ and we visit and I like to visit but I like to live in Aus.
I left Auckland 12 years ago to seek better things in Melbourne, lived there for around 5 years and then spent the rest of the time in the UK/Europe.

I returned this year to NZ and have spent about 2 months with family and I think NZ has gotten so much better than it used to be. Now I've come to Melbourne and compared to 7 years ago I think the quality of life has definitely declined a lot over here. House prices, crowds, public transport, shopping centres etc have all remained reasonably static or have gotten worse. It's still better over-all, but the gap is definitely closing. Globalisation has had a big effect too. It's the salary that is the big killer, maybe that's why NZ'ers are a bit tight and always looking to do stuff on the cheap.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 1:54 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

NZ is a great country to visit but not to live.
The 2 main advantages of living in Australia rather than NZ are:
You will be living in a true 1st world country rather than a 1st world country trying it's best to itself into a 3rd world country.
Your children will grow up without that wanker/retarded Kiwi accent.

40 000 Kiwis a year can't be wrong.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Amazulu
But 50% of them end up in Queensland so that's their credibility gone straightaway. Melbourne and Sydney are 1st world cities, the rest I'm not so sure.

Anyway it's all subjective. Australia also loses large numbers of people to the rest of the world, and there are plenty of people that think Australia is backwards, insular, racist, isolated etc and that the Australian accent is hardly anything to aspire to.

Last edited by sr71; Oct 5th 2008 at 2:07 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

NZ is a great country to visit but not to live.
The 2 main advantages of living in Australia rather than NZ are:
You will be living in a true 1st world country rather than a 1st world country trying it's best to itself into a 3rd world country.
Your children will grow up without that wanker/retarded Kiwi accent.

This is the most sensible post i have read in ages!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 12th 2008, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10537087
Old Oct 12th 2008, 4:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
But 50% of them end up in Queensland so that's their credibility gone straightaway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.