NZ - new plans?

Old Jul 3rd 2003, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ - new plans?

After the announcement of changes to the Skilled worker rules, I for one was affected, are others affected and what are the plans now?

Are most just bringing the job hunting to the top of the list or are they going to await the new rules to be announced and decide then what their best option is?

Lets get some ideas or suggestions going
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

N.Finn Fan is an unknown quantity at this point

Darren, if you go to the New Zealand Hearld website it gives a complete synopsis of the immigration changes.
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 3:38 pm
New Zealand Bound

rickandkara is an unknown quantity at this point

Darren

I had already posted this:

We were hoping for a job offer before we moved out to NZ but if we didn't get one then we would have gone over on a JSV (PR). As soon as the changes occurred we altered our plans and searched for a job offer.
Rick was offered one that night and now we can go for a PR.

The policy changes must have some knock on effect, if there are no prospective immigrants seeking employment through JSVs as previously and NZ already have a shortage of skilled trades persons then employers have to seek out employees through other channels. I would reccommend using the yellow pages and look for companies with your trade. Ask for a e-mail address to send your CV, (if anyone wants any help with their CV send me a private message and I'll help).

I think the one thing that is most important is stay positive, don't remind yourself of the things you can't change. Focus on what you can do.

Good luck everyone

Kara
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

alilandeg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZ - new plans?

[Hi Darren

Yes we are also affected by the new policy I received a positive assesement back from NZQA 10 points for my NVQ level 4 in accounting on Tuesday morning which gave us the 29 points needed 10 minutes later a phone call from my father in law in NZ to inform us of the changes, at least I had 10 minutes of joy!!!

Cried buckets and was a complete misery all day at work and then last nite decided to be positive and get that dammed job offer, so sat at the computer all evening and e-mailed my CV to every accountancy firm with an e-mail address. This morning after 7 knockbacks (I sent out over 60 applications) I had 1 positive response from a firm who thinks they can help. Not sure I will get to excited yet but at least its a start. We have spent over 1000.00 pounds so far on medicals, police checks and getting NZQA fast tracked so I am not prepared to give up, also the house is on the market and we have both given notice on our jobs!! So we have to go for it.

If this does not work out we will go over in January on visitors visa and look for jobs and try the family adult sibbling grounds as my hubby is last remaining family member here in the UK. Thats if they don`t decide to change that policy.

Good luck to everyone out there trying to go to New Zealand and don`t give up.

Allison
Old Jul 4th 2003, 8:31 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Allison

I note you are looking for accounting work.

I am a qualified NZ accountant and am heading to Dunedin in September or so. Drop us a PM if you want to find a bit more about type of work, firms, etc.

Have you used the big Accounting placements companies based here in London, such as Robert Walters etc.

Regards,

Blair