NZ Mortgages

Old Jun 3rd 2003, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

millertime is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Resident?

Originally posted by Scarlett G
We were residents in NZ (Tauranga) under the general skills category, but came back to the Uk last year. However we are hoping to go back soon as being here is not what is best for all concerned. I don't know if you have to be a resident to buy or not I'm afraid. Under what category are you going and where to ?
Maybe you can help! We are undecided between Tauranga and Christchurch. never been to Tauranga area but looks just like what we liked so much when we travelled last year. We have been to Christchurch as we have family there and thats what would take us there.
What are your thoughts on Tauranga area? We are late twenties/early thirties couple.
What made you come back if you dont mind me asking? Home sickness?

Initially I am going on WHV and my partner on visitor visa. But we are hoping to get a job offer and over the counter work visa. I am in touch with an agency who are assisting me to find dental nurse work as there is a shortage - unfortunatley not on the shortage skilled list at the mo!
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 7:38 pm
on the road again member

travelling_kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by millertime
Hiya Scarlett.

Are you resident in NZ? Do you have to be a resident to purchase?
don't quote me but i think any non-resident can purchase property. telephone one of the nz banks eg anz or bnz
Old Jun 4th 2003, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Hiya Scarlett.

Are you resident in NZ? Do you have to be a resident to purchase?
Anyone can purchase property in NZ, you don't have to be resident. Mortages would have different requirements, but if you can sort out the finiance you can buy in NZ.

Australia has restrictions on who can purchase property, but NZ doesn't.
Old Jun 4th 2003, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Scarlett G is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe you can help! We are undecided between Tauranga and Christchurch. never been to Tauranga area but looks just like what we liked so much when we travelled last year. We have been to Christchurch as we have family there and thats what would take us there.
What are your thoughts on Tauranga area? We are late twenties/early thirties couple.
What made you come back if you dont mind me asking? Home sickness?

Initially I am going on WHV and my partner on visitor visa. But we are hoping to get a job offer and over the counter work visa. I am in touch with an agency who are assisting me to find dental nurse work as there is a shortage - unfortunatley not on the shortage skilled list at the mo!

I will send you a PM later with info on Tauranga (we came back due to homesickness....long story) must dash, got to take little people to school!!!
Old Jun 4th 2003, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Scarlett G
I will send you a PM later with info on Tauranga (we came back due to homesickness....long story) must dash, got to take little people to school!!!
Any chance you could email me aswell please.

I'm torn a few between places in NZ.

Appreciated
Old Jun 4th 2003, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Scarlett G is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by GetMeOutOfHere
Any chance you could email me aswell please.

I'm torn a few between places in NZ.

Appreciated

No problem - have sent a private message to you!!
Old Jun 4th 2003, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by smithone

I've got a fixed rate of 6.4% which is pretty competitive.
Could you please be more specific - fixed rate of 6.4% for how long? We just got 6.25% or near that for 2 year fixed (ASB). A one-year fixed is at under 6% right now, a 6-month fixed even less, and our mortgage broker says the rates keep going down. Anyway, in the States, if you say 'fixed rate' it means for the duration of the loan, i.e. 30 years. Far as I know, a 25- or 30-year fixed rate loan doesn't exist here in NZ, hence my question.

By the way, one can probably swing this on ones own if one deals directly with the bank, but certainly when one deals with a mortgage broker he/she can negotiate for the bank to pay some of the attorney's fee ( in our case, NZ$250).

Cheers!
TA (I'm back online!! Just updated my browser, so I can post again, only took me 2 months to figure the problem out but hey, had plenty of other things to do, know what I mean?? SO greetings from Christchurch!!)
Old Jun 4th 2003, 1:08 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by The American
Could you please be more specific - fixed rate of 6.4% for how long? We just got 6.25% or near that for 2 year fixed (ASB). A one-year fixed is at under 6% right now, a 6-month fixed even less, and our mortgage broker says the rates keep going down. Anyway, in the States, if you say 'fixed rate' it means for the duration of the loan, i.e. 30 years. Far as I know, a 25- or 30-year fixed rate loan doesn't exist here in NZ, hence my question.

By the way, one can probably swing this on ones own if one deals directly with the bank, but certainly when one deals with a mortgage broker he/she can negotiate for the bank to pay some of the attorney's fee ( in our case, NZ$250).

Cheers!
TA (I'm back online!! Just updated my browser, so I can post again, only took me 2 months to figure the problem out but hey, had plenty of other things to do, know what I mean?? SO greetings from Christchurch!!)
The American is back! Don't forget that update post...
Old Jun 4th 2003, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

millertime is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by The American

Cheers!

Not sure what Smithones deal is but fixed rate can be for 1, 2,3 + years - not usually the duration of the mortgage but once the fixed period is up you can take another fixed period if you want.

On another note in case anyone was in same kind of position as us I emailed the ASB bank who confirmed as some folk have said you dont have to be resident to get a mortgage but they like a 25% deposit.

Cheers!