Came back due to Homesickness / Family
7.14%
Moved to another country.
21.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

NZ: How many stay, go back or move on

Old Jan 5th 2004, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light
Default NZ: How many stay, go back or move on

Quick poll to find out how many people you know stay in New Zealand, go back home, or move onto another country.

Whilst we were travelling in NZ last year we only met one family who had made the move from the UK to NZ who were moving back home due to money. That was 5 months ago and we have kept intouch with some friends and have found that some are coming back or considering coming back.

What is your experience and how many do you know r coming back and for what reasons

Paul

Last edited by Pastor Flaps; Jan 5th 2004 at 10:02 am.
Old Jan 5th 2004, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Have lived/worked in Auckland for 3 and a bit years.

If you'd asked me this question a year and a half ago, my reply would have been: "NZ citizenship next Oct. then Im off to Melbourne" Today my answer is "sod Melbourne, having too good a time in NZ". And it's true - Im having a fantastic time, I'm doing work I love, have taken up some hobbies/interests I would have never have thought about doing back home, I get out and about much more at the weekends & generally love the place.

I have known/met over the past 3yrs a few people who have gone back home usually because they didn't give it long enough. It DOES take quite awhile to become settled in a new country, make new friends, get used to the locals, wean yourself off 20/30 odd years of doing things the 'uk way'. During my first year in NZ I was constantly thinking about the UK (lots of fresh memories), finding fault with NZ, really missed friends/family & not really sure whether I wanted to stay here. 2nd year was easier, 3rd year absolutely loving it.

Don't get me wrong I love England, it is a fantastic country but NZ is better in many ways IMO and is now where I call 'Home'

Russ
Old Jan 5th 2004, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Russ

Great to hear from you. You comments help. We r at a crossroads right now and dont know which way to go. Fait will probably play the card.

Keep on lovin it

Paul
Old Jan 5th 2004, 8:13 pm
JoB
Off to middle earth

JoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to all

Russ,

I think BritboyNZ is right people don't give it long enough. The first time I went in 1991, I met people who had gone over, come back home realised why they left UK then went back to NZ. If they had given it longer they may have saved themselves a lot of money.

Jo
Old Jan 5th 2004, 8:14 pm
JoB
Off to middle earth

JoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to all

oops I meant Paul Britboy is Russ. sorry

Jo
Old Jan 5th 2004, 8:14 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default just a quickie

Originally posted by Pastor Flaps
Hi Russ

Great to hear from you. You comments help. We r at a crossroads right now and dont know which way to go. Fait will probably play the card.

Keep on lovin it

Paul
just to tell you my friend (tony) and mrs have been there 6 months and are settling in. one comment he has made is that although he does`nt miss blighty he does miss the people
Old Jan 6th 2004, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

We've been here two and a half years now and I would have gladly returned any time during the first 6 - 12 months. Now it's a completely different story. I love it, have got over the homesickness stuff and don't want to leave ! It's very true that you have to give it at least a year before making any decisions.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

Akaubear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by JoB
Russ,

I think BritboyNZ is right people don't give it long enough. The first time I went in 1991, I met people who had gone over, come back home realised why they left UK then went back to NZ. If they had given it longer they may have saved themselves a lot of money.

Jo
I know some people who did that too!

As for us - we've been here a year (nearly!) and we don't have any plans to move back to the UK.

Nicola.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 3:50 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

The one thing that would make us reconsider moving to NZ is the rubbish level of salaries for 'white collar' jobs.

We like everything else (or don't care too much about the few negatives) and there are several places we could see ourselves spending a good number of years.

But at the end of the day, money to enjoy: eating out/ travel + holidays/ bigger house in a nice area/ good food/ heating/ two cars/ treats for the kids and all the extras kids need/ education for all etc etc...DOES MATTER!!!

Material or what? Sorry already, any tree-hugging sandal wearers out there I have inadvertently upset.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
The one thing that would make us reconsider moving to NZ is the rubbish level of salaries for 'white collar' jobs.

We like everything else (or don't care too much about the few negatives) and there are several places we could see ourselves spending a good number of years.

But at the end of the day, money to enjoy: eating out/ travel + holidays/ bigger house in a nice area/ good food/ heating/ two cars/ treats for the kids and all the extras kids need/ education for all etc etc...DOES MATTER!!!

Material or what? Sorry already, any tree-hugging sandal wearers out there I have inadvertently upset.
Don, when you said (another post) your going back to Europe in March, is that holiday or perm? Dont mind me I was away for a bit and missed a few episodes.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 4:05 am
Don
Banned

Originally posted by dotty
Don, when you said (another post) your going back to Europe in March, is that holiday or perm? Dont mind me I was away for a bit and missed a few episodes.
That was always planned. Got quite a few balls in the air (oh matron!) back in Central Europe plus there's quite a chance we might have a very personal (good) reason for being back in Europe at a certain important time especially for women when you need to feel comfortable with the language spoken!

Still planning to come bavck to NZ in time to satisfy the requirements for Indefinite Returning Resident's Visa.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
That was always planned. Got quite a few balls in the air (oh matron!) back in Central Europe plus there's quite a chance we might have a very personal (good) reason for being back in Europe at a certain important time especially for women when you need to feel comfortable with the language spoken!

Still planning to come bavck to NZ in time to satisfy the requirements for Indefinite Returning Resident's Visa.
Thats really really lovely I hope it goes well for you
Old Jan 7th 2004, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Similar to Don. Love New Zealand, the people, views, food etc, etc. The only thing is that the jobs are woefully poorly paid. With cash in the bank, new cars and house being built it isn't much of an issue. However when living a normal life in a couple of years time I am wondering if we will be able to have the holidays and 'toys' that were no effort to purchase in the UK.

I have gone back to about 1988 in my salary and status within the nursing profession. There does seem to be a glass ceiling for non-Kiwis over basic jobs, not that there is much differential in senior salaries.

Saying that none of my Kiwi colleagues are on the bread line, and most are part-time. We all worked full-time and most overtime to make ends meet in the UK. A simple life is cheaper in NZ, just forget the Merc and skiing in Whistler.

Roger
Old Jan 7th 2004, 4:33 am
Just Joined

Bladesman is an unknown quantity at this point

Don,
The material things that you mention do matter, however I think you need to approach it from a different angle. Why did you want to come to NZ? Is it because you can have a bigger house in a better area? Or to travel? difficult from NZ even with money. Or is it to buy a big car? If the answer to the questions above is yes then I believe that you (as in anyone not just you Don) should probably not come.
If it is to come to a country with a different take on life, not have as many material possesions but a better quality of life (particularly family life) then I say jump at it and go for your life. We have been here now for 7 months and we are loving it, as is our nearly 4 year old boy. Yes he does not have all of the toys and treats that he would get in the UK, but what he does have is more time with his mum and dad doing the things that he loves and we personally found difficult to give him in the UK, going to the beach, Parks, Kayaking, body boarding, fishing, camping.....etc etc.
The lifestyle that you seem to want Don is the lifestyle that I now associate with the UK.
I dont earn a fortune, but we are comfortable, we have quickly slipped out of the materialistic culture that we had just as easily slipped into in the UK. My boy got about a fifth of the amount of presents that he got last Christmas this year but enjoyed it about twice as much.
In short nowhere is perfect, the UK has more money, NZ has the better lifestyle. You make your choice based on what is important to you and accept the differences.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 4:44 am
Don
Banned

Fair points and I can understand your viewpoint, share it to some extent. We're luckier than many because we have cobbled together some savings too.

But two points:

1) When you are a sad old fart of 40+, you have lived a good part of your life and you come to expect certain things, ie a similar standard of material things as you're used to.

2) There's more than just myself to consider - got to keep the wife happy too.

Finally, though - NZ is the gateway to some wonderful places a shortish hop away: Australia, Samoa, Fiji etc. It has some fantastic restaurants and raw food (for cooking yourself) available. It has excellent quality places to holiday within NZ. It's a great place to motor around - excellent quality mostly empty roads (barring AKL) and fantastic scenery. Need a bit of dosh to enjoy all that.

Originally posted by Bladesman
Don,
The material things that you mention do matter, however I think you need to approach it from a different angle. Why did you want to come to NZ? Is it because you can have a bigger house in a better area? Or to travel? difficult from NZ even with money. Or is it to buy a big car? If the answer to the questions above is yes then I believe that you (as in anyone not just you Don) should probably not come.
If it is to come to a country with a different take on life, not have as many material possesions but a better quality of life (particularly family life) then I say jump at it and go for your life. We have been here now for 7 months and we are loving it, as is our nearly 4 year old boy. Yes he does not have all of the toys and treats that he would get in the UK, but what he does have is more time with his mum and dad doing the things that he loves and we personally found difficult to give him in the UK, going to the beach, Parks, Kayaking, body boarding, fishing, camping.....etc etc.
The lifestyle that you seem to want Don is the lifestyle that I now associate with the UK.
I dont earn a fortune, but we are comfortable, we have quickly slipped out of the materialistic culture that we had just as easily slipped into in the UK. My boy got about a fifth of the amount of presents that he got last Christmas this year but enjoyed it about twice as much.
In short nowhere is perfect, the UK has more money, NZ has the better lifestyle. You make your choice based on what is important to you and accept the differences.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.