NZ How good

Old Jul 7th 2003, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

TonyQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ How good

We're planning on coming over to New Zealand (October 03)on a Working Holiday Visa (Jenn, my Fiancee), and a Holiday Visa for me (as I'm over 31), the idea is that I will look for a job (IT) whilst we're there, with a view to applying for full residence visa, once successful in obtaining a job/offer.
We are wondering where the best place is for IT jobs, where we could rent whilst looking and any advice on car buy back schemes or other whilst we are there. We are wondering if it's all just a dream or whether it's actually possible and we could end up settling in New Zealand.

Any advice or pointers on anything we might come across would be very helpfull

Cheers....Tony (34) & Jenn (28)
Old Jul 7th 2003, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZ How good

Hi Tony,
Can't really help you regarding IT or areas, perhaps BritboyNZ will give you some pointers there.

It's certainly possible, but with the new policy coming in later in the year it's difficult to say whether you'd qualify for PR. If you meet the points now then I expect you'll be Ok with a job offer. I guess we won't really know until the full details are given.

You could always go for a work permit once you have the job offer & just see what happens.....it's definately worth giving it a go.

Good luck,

Gra...
Old Jul 7th 2003, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

millertime is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZ How good

Originally posted by TonyQ
We're planning on coming over to New Zealand (October 03)on a Working Holiday Visa (Jenn, my Fiancee), and a Holiday Visa for me (as I'm over 31), the idea is that I will look for a job (IT) whilst we're there, with a view to applying for full residence visa, once successful in obtaining a job/offer.
We are wondering where the best place is for IT jobs, where we could rent whilst looking and any advice on car buy back schemes or other whilst we are there. We are wondering if it's all just a dream or whether it's actually possible and we could end up settling in New Zealand.

Any advice or pointers on anything we might come across would be very helpfull

Cheers....Tony (34) & Jenn (28)
Hi Tony and Jenn

We are doing exactly the same as you! I am 28 and have a WHV and my partner, 31 is coming over on a visitor visa.
I am a dental nurse and have been assured by an agency and immig office that there is a shortage and I shoudl beable to secure a job. The idea is then for us to get an over the counter work visa, if I get a job I will get one tying me to the one employee but Wayne will get one on defacto basis leaving him free to work for whoever.
waynes brother and his wife both went over to NZ 18mths ago on visitor visas as they have a family and WHVs were not an option. Within a week they had job offers and the visas and are now in process of gaining residency.....so it is possible!
I have been in touch with an immig office in Christchurch since the recent changes in immigration and I was advised that the changes will benefit us as we are hinging all on a job offer and once you have this you are prioritised for residency.
I have also been advised to get my qualifications assessed by NZQA now as this will save a lot of time and help our case once we are over.

We are heading over in September and are heading to Tauranga area. Didnt visit there when we were last in NZ but from research we have done and what others have told us it looks ideal.

Anyway good luck both and hope everything goes the way you want it to!
Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Jo
Old Jul 7th 2003, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved here a year ago with my wife and as all my background IT related thought that Auckland was the most appropriate place to start looking because most of the big IT and Telecom companies have offices in Auckland.

I've been to Wellington on business a few times but don't have any experience of job hunting there.

The IT job market over here is not booming but there are jobs out there. When I arrived I did the rounds of meeting all the agencies but found them very client focused. If they had a job they were recruiting for then they were very welcoming but if not they didn't actively promote you to prospective employers.

The more effective route for job hunting was networking and cold calling. Before I arrived I asked friends, family, work colleagues for any contacts that they had in Auckland. On arrival I gave them a call and everyone seems to have a mate that works in IT so you very quickly establish a network and identify who the key decsion makers are withing your target companies.

Rather than go through HR departments I called the people directly and explained my situation and asked whether they had a spare 20 minutes to meet up. 50% said yes and 50% said no. The 50% who wouldn't meet up would give you another lead if you presssed them.

Eg I rang the MD of Microsoft and said I was looking for a marketing job he said they weren't hiring at the moment. I asked him about the market in general and who else I should approach. He suggested another company and gave me a contact there - when I called my opening line was "Hi there the MD of Microsoft suggested I give you a call....:" and this immediately gives you some credibility with the caller.

In total I was working on 4 opportunities, 3 from my own cold calling and 1 that was advertised in the Herald.

The thought of cold calling filled me with dread as I hate doing this kind of thing but the reaction from the Kiwis was very positive as they like to see people getting off their arses and doing something positive.

The other bit of advice I would give whilst job hunting is not to let it consume your life.

Get yourself a mobile, spend the first couple of weeks meeting agents, cold calling, establishing your network and then after that spend 2/3 days a week calling round your contacts leaving the rest of your time to enjoy Auckland.

Before you know it you'll be working full time so make the most of your time off.

This was my expereince and managed to get a job about 6 weeks after arriving.

In my expereince the best agency for IT was www.candle.co.nz.

I have no experience about car buy backs - sorry.

Good luck and when you arrive give me a call and I'll share what limited contacts I have in the IT scene.
Old Jul 8th 2003, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Smithones advice is top notch - cold calling may not sound fun but it does work - managers & decision makers Are impressed by people putting the extra effort/determination in, as these are the kind of people they want to recruit.

When you're over here, get a recent copy of Computerworld (NZ's weekly IT industry paper) & Reseller News. Computerworld is available at large bookshops such as Borders/Whitcouls, you may have to go to a library for reseller news. There are job sections at the back, but most importantly they tell you whats happening in the industry in NZ - if a company is moving/relocating/has won a major project etc etc then armed with this info you can call the relevant person and see if there are any opportunities available.

Have everything ready - get your police certificates done before you leave the UK (applying for them from NZ is a nightmare, trust me), get references from previous employers & dig out things like your qualifications, course certificates etc & other paperwork you will need (like payslips for example) if you decide to apply for permanent residence. Technically if customs find any information like this in your baggage when you arrive as a visitor, they could refuse entry as you aren't supposed to work/look for work on a visitors permit - get a friend/relative to courier it all over once you've arrived.

TMPHudson are the big boys in IT recruitment in NZ these days - they are damn good. Other rec. agencies are Robert Walters, DeWinter, Spherion, IT Futures.

Dont feel you have to stick to Auckland - it is a common misconception that 'all IT jobs are in Auckland'. There are fewer vacancies but still vacancies nonetheless in Wellington, Christchurch, Tauranga & even in remote places like Napier & Queenstown, although admittedly these are few and far between. See as much of the country as you can & decide where you'd like to end up. Most importantly - Enjoy NZ

Russ