Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ general skills catagory (to be) scrapped

NZ general skills catagory (to be) scrapped

Old Jul 3rd 2003, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Gra.B

Well hopefully the provisional reg is possible then......anyone know?
..just copied this from the EWRB site:-

4.10.1 Every person enquiring about or applying for a registration on the basis of overseas qualifications and experience will be informed that a provisional licence can be issued to enable them to carry out prescribed electrical work for the class of work for which they will be registered while they complete registration requirements.

4.10.2 Licences cannot be issued for longer than 12 months.

4.10.3 Unconditional provisional licences

An "unconditional" provisional licence can be issued if a person:

(a) Satisfies the registration work experience requirements. (either by recognised certificates or documentation or both).

(b) Completes a practising licence safety training course relating to the class of registration for which they will be applying.

The licence will enable a person to carry out the full duties and responsibilities of a registered person. Even though line mechanics have to obtain 3 months work experience before registration, an unconditional provisional licence can be issued if the person has satisfied all other work experience requirements.

4.10.4 Conditional provisional licence

A "conditional" provisional licence can be issued if a person:

(a) Partly satisfies the registration work experience requirements (either by recognised certificates or documentation or both).

(b) Completes a practising licence safety training course relating to the class of registration for which they will be applying.

The conditions of the licence will usually be that work has to done under the general supervision of a registered person or work is confined to a particular organisation or site.

4.10.5 Registration requirements will have to be completed during the 12 month duration of a licence. Where a person:

(a) Sits and fails an examination or assessment, another licence may be issued (which can be less than 12 months duration) to enable the examination or assessment to be attempted again.

(b) Does not attempt to complete any of the registration requirements, another licence will not be issued, unless the Board is satisfied they have had difficulty in obtaining an examination or assessment.

......so it looks like you have to sit through a safety course first, but not the full exams etc..

Gra...
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

moose is an unknown quantity at this point

Well hopefully the provisional reg is possible then......anyone know?
Hi Gra, I've just been reading an e-mail I received some time ago from the EWRB(electrical workers registration board,their governing body regarding registration & licences etc.)in it ,it categorically states that ,and I quote "it is not possible to obtain a provisional licence or registration prior to arrival in New Zealandand for this reason application forms for such are not forwarded to persons outside of NZ"

Steve.
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by moose
Hi Gra, I've just been reading an e-mail I received some time ago from the EWRB(electrical workers registration board,their governing body regarding registration & licences etc.)in it ,it categorically states that ,and I quote "it is not possible to obtain a provisional licence or registration prior to arrival in New Zealandand for this reason application forms for such are not forwarded to persons outside of NZ"

Steve.
Bummer!

But it sounds like it would be straight forward to do once there, & at least you wouldn't have to go through the whole registration & exams etc before working....which may be a bonus!

Gra..
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

moose is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by kittenlips
Hi Steve

Just wondered if you realised that the exams can only be taken June or November. I know this because my husband is also an electrician and we have the same problem as you!!

Regards
Theresa
Hi Theresa, thanks for the info, yes I was aware of the dates but if all goes well I wouldn't mind trying for the Nov. exam, it also says that you have to apply for the exam 28 days(that is the closing date for applications) before. Results take up to 8 weeks so all in all a reasonably lengthy process. It is possible to do the regs coursework by correspondence course but the eam must be sat in NZ. For correspondence course ( it does actually say nationwide, but I assume they will do it for overseas applicants as well) try the followinge-mail address. [email protected] hope this is of some use and good luck.
Steve.
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

N.Finn Fan is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck with your exams....This maybe slightly off topic but I think Watt Danbey, a regular poster, based in Christchurch maybe be forced home. Unfortunately due to the fact that all people presently in the process of applying for PR from within New Zealand, will be asked to leave. Source: New Zealand Hearld.
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by N.Finn Fan
Good luck with your exams....This maybe slightly off topic but I think Watt Danbey, a regular poster, based in Christchurch maybe be forced home. Unfortunately due to the fact that all people presently in the process of applying for PR from within New Zealand, will be asked to leave. Source: New Zealand Hearld.
I don't think so, she was on the Work to Res Priority Occupations policy ( i think) which is not affected. I'm sure you're wrong about ALL people being asked to leave though, have you a link for the story?

Gra...
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

Default News Link

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...reportID=55514
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: News Link

"The overhaul of immigration policy announced yesterday is also expected to mean SOME people already living here, but still seeking residency, will be forced to leave. "
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Hope she is OK
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hope she is OK
She is, don't worry,

....unless she 'choked on her chups' after reading your comment!

Gra....
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

She is, don't worry,

....unless she 'choked on her chups' after reading your comment!

Gra....

Glad to hear that Paula should be O.K. i tried to email her a couple of nights ago to check if she is affected but the address she gave me seemed to fail. i might try a PM in case she still logs on here from time to time! have you been in touch Gra!! Hope your right either way!
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a quick question about the changes to general skills policy in the interim period. ie. between now and the end of the year when the new poicy kicks in. Can the points for a job offer be included in the total 29 as it used to be, or are folk expected to gain 29 points and then also have a job offer over and above. I had a look at the immigrate nz.org site and that's what they seemed to say and i was just wondering if anyone knows.

It's just that our best friends are on their way to NZ at the minute with the intention of a holiday but also suussing it out as a place to live! They are hoping to gain a job offer while there but if my reading of this is correct that won't even be enough. Someone please tell me i am wrong!!
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jajpe
Just a quick question about the changes to general skills policy in the interim period. ie. between now and the end of the year when the new poicy kicks in. Can the points for a job offer be included in the total 29 as it used to be, or are folk expected to gain 29 points and then also have a job offer over and above. I had a look at the immigrate nz.org site and that's what they seemed to say and i was just wondering if anyone knows.

It's just that our best friends are on their way to NZ at the minute with the intention of a holiday but also suussing it out as a place to live! They are hoping to gain a job offer while there but if my reading of this is correct that won't even be enough. Someone please tell me i am wrong!!
I'm sure you're wrong, Shirley. That would pretty much exclude most potential applicants. It seemed straight forward to me: the only change for the Interim General Skills Category is that it must include a job offer. There is no change to the passmark. Of course, this means that those who might have reached the passmark without a job offer are out of luck. They will need to add a job offer.

Note, also, that the job offer that is included with the application must be for a relevant job. Points will no longer be awarded for non-relevant job offers.

Last edited by sofistek; Jul 3rd 2003 at 7:05 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Last question promise, when are the changes likely to come into force, anyone have a date?
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Last question promise, when are the changes likely to come into force, anyone have a date?
The Interim General Skills Category is in force now. It's unclear when the new Skilled Migrant category will be established. The best NZIS can say is towards the end of 2003 or early 2004.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.