Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ general skills catagory (to be) scrapped

NZ general skills catagory (to be) scrapped

Old Jul 2nd 2003, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: general skills catagory scrapped

Originally posted by sofistek
Not sure I get you, here. Do you mean "work to residence" or JSV? If it was the former, then you can go straight for a PR application, if you get a job offer. I don't think the points have changed, so a job offer will give you 32 points. If you were including settlement funds, you don't need to do that now, which might be a plus.

It's great that you're not giving up the dream. It sounds like you need to take a long holiday over there and look for a job. Imagine what would happen then!
Sorry, your right it was the "work to residence" I was going for, 6mths to find a job and then PR.

I've just been talking it over with my wife and as we still haven't sold our house( I'm selling first, get my money in the bank, and be able to be more flexible in going when it suits us rather than getting accepted and still stuck with our house), so Oct Expo that Southerner mentioned looks a definite for us, and I'm going to see how everything settles down. With us wanting to not go to Auckland and thinking the South Island suits us better, we may qualify for more points anyway.
I've got 3 young kids(under 4yrs old) so going off on my own to NZ to look for a work is a big no-no. So its a long holiday there when my house is sold or see what the Expo in Oct offers.
I've got a good job, good money, so I can sit back a bit, I'll get everything ready(police report, qualifications etc) and be ready to move quickly when house is sold.

I was mighty cheesed off after a couple of great days with my family, but that's life, you dust yourself down and pick yourself up, I'm a determined bugger and I'll get there
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by GetMeOutOfHere
Sorry, your right it was the "work to residence" I was going for, 6mths to find a job and then PR.
Sorry to harp on about this, Darren, especially as you seem to have decided against this, but "work to residence" is not related to the job search visa. Work to residence means that you still have to find a job up front (either from an accredited employer or a job on the Priority Occupations List), then get a work visa. You apply for residence after 2 years under this scheme (if you're still in the same line of work). It's one way of doing it but doesn't sound like what you want.

But you seem to have a good plan now. Good luck. I'll probably be at the October show too, unless I get lucky first.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to harp on about this, Darren, especially as you seem to have decided against this, but "work to residence" is not related to the job search visa. Work to residence means that you still have to find a job up front (either from an accredited employer or a job on the Priority Occupations List), then get a work visa. You apply for residence after 2 years under this scheme (if you're still in the same line of work). It's one way of doing it but doesn't sound like what you want.

But you seem to have a good plan now. Good luck. I'll probably be at the October show too, unless I get lucky first.
That is right Tony....but.....and I hope you don't prove me wrong again!......the JSV for Gen Skills WAS listed under the work to res policy on the NZIS site alongside the POL scheme.(it was removed on Monday though) I've had this confusion before when people say W to R, but it's actually a Gen Skills applicant banking on the JSV.

Cheers, Gra...
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

icklepickle is an unknown quantity at this point

This essentially means that they carry the risk of not achieving this outcome, rather than the New Zealand welfare system that has had to meet the cost of failure until now.
What does this actually mean. It is referring to a person following the work to residence scheme. If you are on the work to residence scheme can your children go to school? are you elibable to attend courses yourself? Can your partner work? What are these costs?

Regards,
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 8:30 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Good question, and I won't pretend that the following is any more than gut feeling.

I am pretty sure that schooling is not impacted.

But training courses may be (there was a thread somewhere about that under the old rules, and I recall maybe even PR holders had to pay a supplement over what NZ citizens pay). Maybe look up a Polytech website for more info.

I think anybody visiting NZ can get some form of work permit, but not sure what sort and what it allows you to do.

The welfare costs referred to by the Minister are mainly the dole, sickness and family support benefits. Basically migrants without PR will take the risk that they don't have these backstops. Its a bit harsh, but unfortunately the system has been abused before and it is a hot topic in NZ right now (Winston Peters is a politician whose main policy is "a NZ for NZers", and with a proportional elected Govt he gets more media time than he deserves).
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 8:36 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

A follow up on training.

Even if you pay a supplement on top of what NZ citizens would pay, the cost of training and education is still a lot less than in other places around the world.

It would still probably be a good investment to make.
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Akaubear is an unknown quantity at this point

But.... when we got our PR we had to sign to say we had enough money to cover our expenses for 2 years, and would therefore not be able to claim any benefit (during those 2 years...)

Originally posted by southerner

The welfare costs referred to by the Minister are mainly the dole, sickness and family support benefits.
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 9:57 am
Here in Dunedin

OK - I don't know what I am talking about then.

Maybe they are referring to the cost after the 2 years is up and they gain full citizenship?
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

In terms of benefits - once you get PR you aren't allowed to claim Anything (eg unemployment, sickness, disability etc) for two years, unless in extreme hardship.

As for the cost of courses, education etc residents (ie once youv'e got PR) and NZ Citizens are entitled to subsidised education - everything from subsidised uni fees to evening classes. If you are in NZ on a temp. entry permit (eg work permit or visa, WHV, tourist permit) then you have to pay the full cost of the course.

To the guy who was wondering about work for electricians, there is an extreme shortage of electricians in Auckland at the moment - I was working at one of our clients (electrical installations co) a couple of weeks ago & spoke to the boss. They are desperate for experienced/qualified sparkies. You wouldn't have any problem finding work at all & would very probably be able to get a job offer over the phone. The electrical registration exam is easy (you can take the regs/book into the exam apparently!). If this is of use, send me a PM & I will pass on their contact details.

all the best

Russ
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Gra.B
That is right Tony....but.....and I hope you don't prove me wrong again!......the JSV for Gen Skills WAS listed under the work to res policy on the NZIS site alongside the POL scheme.(it was removed on Monday though) I've had this confusion before when people say W to R, but it's actually a Gen Skills applicant banking on the JSV.

Cheers, Gra...
Spot on, Gra. I don't know why that information is under WtoR. Maybe because it's a kind of "work to residence" in that it's a work visa that can lead to residence.
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

Spot on, Gra. I don't know why that information is under WtoR. Maybe because it's a kind of "work to residence" in that it's a work visa that can lead to residence.
Thats why I like others was confused, so just to clarify it the JSV is the 6mth job search visa(those within 5 pts of the 29)?

This is irrelevant now I believe as job offer is mandatory.
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

N.Finn Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Some General Questions

Through reading various newspaper reports, it plainly stated that even people who were awaiting their PR Visa from within New Zealand would now have to leave the country. I mention this purely because some people who were on this board were undergoing that process.

It is also stated that all applications in the system would be lapsed and a refund would be provided, and they were then expected to re-apply when the new system comes fully into force. Therefore do all people on this board have to put their move on hold?

The state of the JSV, Is that no longer operational?

Also a lot of people I speak to have been slightly peeved that a clear job offer is now required, but personally I would find it difficult to move all that way without some financial security anyway.

Some clear answers for this simple mind would be great.
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Some General Questions

Originally posted by N.Finn Fan
Through reading various newspaper reports, it plainly stated that even people who were awaiting their PR Visa from within New Zealand would now have to leave the country. I mention this purely because some people who were on this board were undergoing that process.

It is also stated that all applications in the system would be lapsed and a refund would be provided, and they were then expected to re-apply when the new system comes fully into force. Therefore do all people on this board have to put their move on hold?

The state of the JSV, Is that no longer operational?

Also a lot of people I speak to have been slightly peeved that a clear job offer is now required, but personally I would find it difficult to move all that way without some financial security anyway.

Some clear answers for this simple mind would be great.
Hi NFF,
Not all applications would be lapsed & refunded, just those before Nov 20(?)th '02, having said that some of those will still be assessed. Apps after this date will still be assessed by the old criteria so we are assuming that the JSV would still be offered. It's all explained better in the Q&A section on the site.

Cheers, Gra...
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 2:18 pm
Adelaide here we come

kittenlips is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by moose
Thanks Tony, as it happens what we are thinking of doing is going over on a 6 month visitors visa, I will take relevant exams whilst there and then approach companies to secure a job offer, we will then apply while still there.Only thing is that we did our medicals a while ago now and they have expired do you know if it is possible to have medicals in NZ

Steve.

Hi Steve

Just wondered if you realised that the exams can only be taken June or November. I know this because my husband is also an electrician and we have the same problem as you!!

Regards
Theresa
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by kittenlips
Hi Steve

Just wondered if you realised that the exams can only be taken June or November. I know this because my husband is also an electrician and we have the same problem as you!!

Regards
Theresa

Well hopefully the provisional reg is possible then......anyone know?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.