Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ general skills catagory (to be) scrapped

NZ general skills catagory (to be) scrapped

Old Jul 2nd 2003, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: general skills catagory scrapped

Originally posted by deedee
just seen on the nz one news....general skills catagory has been scrapped.Unless you have a job offer in your field of qualification you will be rejected......
Looks like I'm stuffed, been away for a couple of days and come back to this

Sick as a pig, the wife & I have been talking about it loads while away....gutted

I can't be the only one, so what can we do next?
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by GetMeOutOfHere

Sick as a pig, the wife & I have been talking about it loads while away....gutted

Hi Darren,
What stage were you at? have you applied already?

Gra..
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Darren, it's not the end of your dream. If you've already applied, these changes should have no effect. If you haven't applied yet then you will need different tactics. Remember that, ultimately, you needed a job offer to get the visa. These changes mean that you need the job offer up front. It doesn't necessarily alter the overall time scales but may mean you have to start the 6 month job search earlier.

When the new scheme is introduced, you may find it easier to gain residence. Then again, you may not. I think this needs to be looked at when we have all of the details.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

moose is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sofistek
Sorry to hear that. However, the way I read the new Skilled Migrant category is that people such as yourself can be invited to apply for residency, after having registered an interest. I'm sure they need skilled trades persons and will be inviting those that they believe can find work and settle well in NZ. Unfortunately, the interim general skills category makes it almost impossible for yourself at the moment. Unless there is some training or education visa that you could apply for.
Thanks Tony, as it happens what we are thinking of doing is going over on a 6 month visitors visa, I will take relevant exams whilst there and then approach companies to secure a job offer, we will then apply while still there.Only thing is that we did our medicals a while ago now and they have expired do you know if it is possible to have medicals in NZ

Steve.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by moose
Thanks Tony, as it happens what we are thinking of doing is going over on a 6 month visitors visa, I will take relevant exams whilst there and then approach companies to secure a job offer, we will then apply while still there.Only thing is that we did our medicals a while ago now and they have expired do you know if it is possible to have medicals in NZ

Steve.
Steve,
Did you notice what I said about the provisional registration? Look into it 'cos it might save you a lot of time.

You can do your medicals over there, think it might be cheaper too!
Gra..
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Gra.B

You can do your medicals over there, think it might be cheaper too!
Gra..
Steve, just noticed what carpenter said earlier about medicals as the same happened to him, have a look further up..
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 4:16 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Darren

The changes announced yesterday are a big bummer all right.

But I've been reading the postings fairly closely and often it is not as bad as it first seems. The worse case would appear to be that if you have not already applied, you will need to get a job offer, or alternatively go over on a work permit.

One bloke got off his arse last night, looked through the NZ yellow pages, started phoning around and had a job offer before he went to bed. It can be done.

Keep in there - you will find a way if you want it enough.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Steve, just noticed what carpenter said earlier about medicals as the same happened to him, have a look further up..
Thanks Gra, I did see the earlier post re; medicals, it's something I'm going to look into. As regards provisional registration goes we looked into that and I must say found the whole subject utterly confusing! We therefore came up with plan outlined earlier, it's actually not as harebrained as it seems 'cos my brother lives in Wellington so no shortage of accomodation when we get there.
Steve
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 4:35 pm
New Zealand Bound

rickandkara is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by southerner
Darren

One bloke got off his arse last night, looked through the NZ yellow pages, started phoning around and had a job offer before he went to bed. It can be done.
Might I add with his wife not letting him go to bed till he found one!!!!!

The point is if this is your dream you need to re-evaluate how you achieve your dream. Investigate the immigration process like today is the day you decided to go for it. If you have already applied then there is nothing stopping you searching for a job and adding it to your submitted application. Be proactive because yesterday I didn't know what we were going to do and today we have a job offer.

Good luck
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by moose
Thanks Gra, I did see the earlier post re; medicals, it's something I'm going to look into. As regards provisional registration goes we looked into that and I must say found the whole subject utterly confusing! We therefore came up with plan outlined earlier, it's actually not as harebrained as it seems 'cos my brother lives in Wellington so no shortage of accomodation when we get there.
Steve
No, it's not harebrained at all. Like Southerner says all these changes just mean that people need to take a different approach, and going over as a visitor is not much different to the JSV anyway.

I can't remember where I read about the prov registration. I was under the impression that it would be quite straight forward for someone from the Uk, with quals, to get this. You could then start work immediately while taking the exams etc. I reckon you'd find work quite easily, and it would take the stress away if your visa starts to run out. Having said that, it would be nice to take some time out when you get there.

Anyway, good luck with it all, hope it all works out.

Cheers, Gra..
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by southerner or alternatively go over on a work permit.
Unless you qualify for a holiday work visa, you can't get a work visa until you have a job offer. So it doen't ease the process other than the fact that it is supposed to be much quicker to get a work visa, than to get the residence visa, which might be a factor for some employers.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

No, it's not harebrained at all. Like Southerner says all these changes just mean that people need to take a different approach, and going over as a visitor is not much different to the JSV anyway.

I can't remember where I read about the prov registration. I was under the impression that it would be quite straight forward for someone from the Uk, with quals, to get this. You could then start work immediately while taking the exams etc. I reckon you'd find work quite easily, and it would take the stress away if your visa starts to run out. Having said that, it would be nice to take some time out when you get there.

Anyway, good luck with it all, hope it all works out.

Cheers, Gra..
Thanks again, I am at present on line sending my c.v. to several nz employers so here's hoping.All my qualifications are acceptable according to the nz electrical workers registration board I just have to take their version of the regs exam and then hopefully get a practising license.I'll keep posting with progress reports.
steve.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

Gra.B: Stage of waiting for NZQA assessment to be returned, should be any day now. Medicals to be booked and waiting for Police reports. Had 24 points, so was hoping to go on "work for PR" which is no more now .

sofistek: I've calmed down now, read through the changes and like you said its time for alternative plans to be made. Thanks Tony, a fora like this is the key to getting over hurdles placed before us, theres more than one way to skin a rabbit!

southerner: I'm not giving up yet, I'm gutted though. I can understand NZ wanting qualified emigrants etc, its something Britain should copy!
I want to get to NZ and live the Dream, I can't and won't give up now, for me, my wife and my kids, there's no way I'm bowing out. I will always be wandering "What if" so got to adapt and change the plan. I want to see ChCh and Dunedin too much now, so lets all put our minds together and work this out.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

The Simpsons is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't and won't give up now, for me, my wife and my kids, there's no way I'm bowing out.
Well said Darren, Good luck, you'll get there no problem with the right attitude!
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B: Stage of waiting for NZQA assessment to be returned, should be any day now. Medicals to be booked and waiting for Police reports. Had 24 points, so was hoping to go on "work for PR" which is no more now
Not sure I get you, here. Do you mean "work to residence" or JSV? If it was the former, then you can go straight for a PR application, if you get a job offer. I don't think the points have changed, so a job offer will give you 32 points. If you were including settlement funds, you don't need to do that now, which might be a plus.

It's great that you're not giving up the dream. It sounds like you need to take a long holiday over there and look for a job. Imagine what would happen then!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.