Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ general skills catagory (to be) scrapped

NZ general skills catagory (to be) scrapped

Old Jul 2nd 2003, 6:02 am
New Zealand Bound

rickandkara is an unknown quantity at this point

This website as given a lot of useful information that I would not automatically have thought of. I woke up yesterday morning and signed on before a went to work. I read the first posting of this thread and felt like somebody had told me santa claus doesn't exist, I was gutted. We were hoping for a job offer before to apply for PR and if not we were go down the JSV route. We were still going to apply maybe go to NZ and search for a job but we had till the 16th September before the medicals expired (and for what they cost I really didn't want to do them again).
We are going over on my husbands qualifications, so I decided to be proactive. I gave my husband a list of telephone number out of the NZ yellow pages and requested that he find a NZ job. Well he got a job offer and I'm smiling again.

I know there will be plenty of you out there in a similar boat to us, so my advice is to think positive and not give up.

Good luck everyone.

Kara
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

halk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Non-relevant job offer still counts?

I submitted my application before 20/11/02, and scored 28 points. I have been granted a JSV. I am trying to secure a non-relevant job offer which under GSC I could get 2 extra points in settlement factors. However, new rules have eliminated non-relevant job offer points. Will my case be evaluated under old GSC or new IGSC?
Halk
Originally posted by BritboyNZ
My Interpretation of all this is as follows:

For those who have already applied for PR under Gen. Skills:

If you submitted your application before 20/11/02, then your application will be 'lapsed' (ie they won't process it any further) and your application fee will be refunded, UNLESS you:
a) included a job offer OR
b) scored 28 points or more OR
c) NZIS have already issued you with a JSV OR
d) NZIS have invited you to apply for a JSV (NB this is *different* from submitting a PR application with the expectation of *getting* a JSV!) OR
e) Your application is at the point of being decided by NZIS OR
f) You have lodged an appeal and are awaiting a decision on that appeal.

If you submitted your application after 20/11/02 and before 1/7/03, then the website simply says "Assesment continues during 03/04" If you included a job offer with your application, then you have nothing to worry about, and your application will be 'prioritised'. If you didn't include a job offer with the expectation of getting a JSV, then as far as I can work out from the info NZIS have posted, your application will continue to be processed. Whether NZIS will give you a JSV or not is unclear - i expect this will be clarified pretty soon though.

If you have not yet submitted your application then from tomorrow, 2/7/3 you will need to include a job offer. No more JSV's will be issued to new applications, nor can points be claimed for job offers not relevant to your qualifications or experience. Passmark stays the same at 29.

When new Skilled Migrant Policy comes into effect later in the year, applicants will need to have a job offer, meet the usual character & health tests, and then go into a 'pool' in which the people with the highest scores are then 'invited' to apply for residence, and then get either residence or work to residence, depending on their circumstances (eg someone who is currently working in NZ on a work permit would get residence, someone who has just arrived and managed to get a job offer would get a work permit & residence later on).

Bit of a bombshell I agree, and there are going to be some disappointed people out there, however it is worth pointing out that NZIS have not made any changes to temporary entry policy (ie work visas/permits, working holiday visas, tourist visas etc). Remember that it is still possible to travel to NZas a tourist, look for work, and if successful apply for a work permit and/or PR.

all the best

Russ
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

Carpenter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by rickandkara
but we had till the 16th September before the medicals expired (and for what they cost I really didn't want to do them again).
Good luck everyone.

Kara
Kara,
We had to have our medicals done again as they expired whilst we were waiting for NZQA assesments. We asked the immigration services if we had to have the full medicals again and they said we could just get the doctor to look over then and countersign and re-date if nothing had changed. The doctor did this and charged us £5 per person. You will have to check this is OK with the immigration services and the Doctor first.

Cheers

Ian
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 6:32 am
New Zealand Bound

rickandkara is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Carpenter
Kara,
We had to have our medicals done again as they expired whilst we were waiting for NZQA assesments. We asked the immigration services if we had to have the full medicals again and they said we could just get the doctor to look over then and countersign and re-date if nothing had changed. The doctor did this and charged us £5 per person. You will have to check this is OK with the immigration services and the Doctor first.

Cheers

Ian

Thats good to know but hopefully we won't have to do them again. I'm going to post my application this week.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Non-relevant job offer still counts?

Originally posted by halk
I submitted my application before 20/11/02, and scored 28 points. I have been granted a JSV. I am trying to secure a non-relevant job offer which under GSC I could get 2 extra points in settlement factors. However, new rules have eliminated non-relevant job offer points. Will my case be evaluated under old GSC or new IGSC?
Halk
Your case doesn't need to be evaluated under anything as NZIS have ALREADY given you a JSV. All you need to do now is travel to NZ and look for a job - any job for that matter. If I were you I would get to NZ pronto and start looking - you are one of the few lucky people unaffected by these changes and you've only got 6 months - dont waste them!

The changes they have made that you are referring to (no more JSV's issued and non relevant job offers now not accepted are only for new applications lodged after 2/7/3.

Russ
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

The Simpsons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Non-relevant job offer still counts?

The changes they have made that you are referring to (no more JSV's issued and non relevant job offers now not accepted are only for new applications lodged after 2/7/3.

Russ [/QUOTE]

So do you think that if we applied after Nov 02 and before july 03 we might still be offered a JSV?

Husband panicking now!!!

Karen
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Karen

This is the big question. The NZIS website Q&A page relating to the changes doesn't say anything about what will happen to applications lodged between Nov 02 & Jul 03 - only that providing you met all of the requirements at the time of lodgement: "assesment continues 03/04"

NZIS haven't said that prospective JSV applicants will now Not get a JSV, neither have they said they Will get a JSV, so it sounds to me like they are waiting for the outcome of the appeal they lodged against the NZAMI court case and regardless of the changes they announced yesterday it will be months before a decision is known.

Sorry I can't be of more help, although look on the bright side - your application is still 'being processed' and hasn't been lapsed/rejected outright as will happen to people who were expecting to get a JSV, but lodged their application before November last year.

Keep smiling & all the best to you and everyone else for that matter with your applications

Russ.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by BritboyNZ
Hi Karen

This is the big question. The NZIS website Q&A page relating to the changes doesn't say anything about what will happen to applications lodged between Nov 02 & Jul 03 - only that providing you met all of the requirements at the time of lodgement: "assesment continues 03/04"

NZIS haven't said that prospective JSV applicants will now Not get a JSV, neither have they said they Will get a JSV, so it sounds to me like they are waiting for the outcome of the appeal they lodged against the NZAMI court case and regardless of the changes they announced yesterday it will be months before a decision is known.

Sorry I can't be of more help, although look on the bright side - your application is still 'being processed' and hasn't been lapsed/rejected outright as will happen to people who were expecting to get a JSV, but lodged their application before November last year.

Keep smiling & all the best to you and everyone else for that matter with your applications

Russ.
In some ways, the operations manual relating to the temporary work visa policy is clear and so those rules should still apply for existing applications. However, some of the rules appear to be defined under the Work to Residence policy also, and everything is at the discretion of the immigration service. So it's not quite as clear cut as it may appear.

As all new applications have to have job offers included, this might be a signal that existing applications, which have not yet been assessed, might not be treated in exactly the way one might expect. This is pure speculation on my part.

We might need some test cases. Hopefully, some kind person who is assessed soon, expecting a JSV, will let us know whether they actually got offered a JSV.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Just got a nukiwi.com newsflash. It included the following summary item:

b) The 6-month Job-Search Visa option is no longer available except to those whose applications were formally accepted by NZIS for review prior to 2 July 2003 and who meet the previous requirements.

So at least nukiwi have a positive interpretation of the new rule, for existing applicants. Tough on new applicants, though.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

The Simpsons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sofistek
Just got a nukiwi.com newsflash. It included the following summary item:

b) The 6-month Job-Search Visa option is no longer available except to those whose applications were formally accepted by NZIS for review prior to 2 July 2003 and who meet the previous requirements.

So at least nukiwi have a positive interpretation of the new rule, for existing applicants. Tough on new applicants, though.
Yes, the newsflash made me feel better too!
Now the question is, do I exchange on my house sale or pull out???
AAAGGGHHH!!!:scared:
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

moose is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kara, just a quickie,what is it your husband does for a living,I only ask as I am an electrician and therefore have to be registerd before I can work in NZ, and unfortunately as far as I'm aware this can only be done in NZ. So you can see I can't get a job offer whilst still in the U.K.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by moose
Hi Kara, just a quickie,what is it your husband does for a living,I only ask as I am an electrician and therefore have to be registerd before I can work in NZ, and unfortunately as far as I'm aware this can only be done in NZ. So you can see I can't get a job offer whilst still in the U.K.
Sorry to hear that. However, the way I read the new Skilled Migrant category is that people such as yourself can be invited to apply for residency, after having registered an interest. I'm sure they need skilled trades persons and will be inviting those that they believe can find work and settle well in NZ. Unfortunately, the interim general skills category makes it almost impossible for yourself at the moment. Unless there is some training or education visa that you could apply for.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear that. However, the way I read the new Skilled Migrant category is that people such as yourself can be invited to apply for residency, after having registered an interest. I'm sure they need skilled trades persons and will be inviting those that they believe can find work and settle well in NZ. Unfortunately, the interim general skills category makes it almost impossible for yourself at the moment. Unless there is some training or education visa that you could apply for.
It's not necessarily out of the question to get a job offer, there's nothing to stop him applying for jobs, and as far as I know he'd be able to get a provisional registration and start work while taking the exams. I could be wrong on this part though but worth looking at.

Failing that then surely he could go over as a visitor to find work, so not much different than the JSV. I remember someone posting a while back about an electrical firm crying out for electricians so I wouldn't say it was impossible, not yet anyway...but it may be harder when the new policy comes in to play.

Cheers, Gra...
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Gra.B
It's not necessarily out of the question to get a job offer, there's nothing to stop him applying for jobs, and as far as I know he'd be able to get a provisional registration and start work while taking the exams. I could be wrong on this part though but worth looking at.

Failing that then surely he could go over as a visitor to find work, so not much different than the JSV. I remember someone posting a while back about an electrical firm crying out for electricians so I wouldn't say it was impossible, not yet anyway...but it may be harder when the new policy comes in to play.

Cheers, Gra...
Hmm, what makes you think it would be harder? If NZ need skills trades people, then I would have thought that the skilled migrants category would make it easier, if the person has good experience and qualifications (even if they are UK qualifications).

But I guess it's too early to tell just yet.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm, what makes you think it would be harder? If NZ need skills trades people, then I would have thought that the skilled migrants category would make it easier, if the person has good experience and qualifications (even if they are UK qualifications).

But I guess it's too early to tell just yet.
Well, the Gen Skills as it stands (or should I say stood) is fairly clear cut so with his trade there was never any question that he'd get in, whether it be with job offer or JSV. But with the new category even if you meet the criteria it doesn't mean you be invited to apply.
It's not impossible for him now though, & I'd have thought it better to go for it now and try to get the job offer before the Gen Skills goes altogether.

It is too early to tell though, I guess it will all become clear soon!

Gra..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.