Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ general skills catagory (to be) scrapped

NZ general skills catagory (to be) scrapped

Old Jul 1st 2003, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

jseni01d is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by rickandkara
Could you please simplify what as happened today.

I've collated all the information I needed for the JSV application, which I was going to take to NZ house this week. There is no job offer but we want to move to Napier, my husband is a sheet metal worker with what would have been 25 points. Can anybody tell me what the next step now is.

Kara
Do you mean a JSV application as in a PR application with the expectation of a JSV? If so, from today that option no longer exists.

The changes seem to be telling everyone that General Skills is now closed unless you have a job offer (even if you are already in the system, judging from the posts on this thread), and anyone else who wants to come will have to wait and apply through the new category in "late 2003/early 2004".

John
Old Jul 1st 2003, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Akaubear is an unknown quantity at this point

(This is from the Q&A section on the website...)

What if I have already sent my application form and documents to the NZIS, but I don’t meet the new rules?
If your application was received by the NZIS before 2 July 2003 and has all the necessary evidence or documents required by the application form, it will be accepted and considered under the GSC policy criteria which applied before 2 July 2003. If your application was received after 2 July 2003, it will be considered under the IGSC policy. If it does not contain an offer of employment it will not meet the mandatory requirements for lodgement and will be returned to you with your fee.

Unless you applied before 20th November 2002 - in which case your application has deemed to be "lapsed", and you must then have a job offer.

Originally posted by jseni01d
The changes seem to be telling
everyone that General Skills is now closed unless you have a job offer (even if you are already in the system, judging from the posts on this thread), and anyone else who wants to come will have to wait and apply through the new category in "late 2003/early 2004".

John
Old Jul 1st 2003, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Akaubear
(This is from the Q&A section on the website...)

What if I have already sent my application form and documents to the NZIS, but I don’t meet the new rules?
If your application was received by the NZIS before 2 July 2003 and has all the necessary evidence or documents required by the application form, it will be accepted and considered under the GSC policy criteria which applied before 2 July 2003. If your application was received after 2 July 2003, it will be considered under the IGSC policy. If it does not contain an offer of employment it will not meet the mandatory requirements for lodgement and will be returned to you with your fee.

Unless you applied before 20th November 2002 - in which case your application has deemed to be "lapsed", and you must then have a job offer.
But does "the GSC policy criteria which applied before 2 July 2003" include inviting people within 5 points of the passmark to apply for a JSV and then granting them a JSV and giving them 6 months to find a job? The government argued in the court case that the JSV was not part of residence policy.

John
Old Jul 1st 2003, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light

On behalf of all of us hoping to move to NZ, thanks to everyone who has taken the time post this important and new information.
That is what this site is all about

Clearly it is very confusing and we now need to review our situation.
I guess it is good news for the agents as they will sell there skills in making the process easier.

Does anyone know the answer to our question;

If my wife applies for a visa, based on her qualification being accepted by NZQA and having a job offer, can we still go and will it now take a little longer to process. Has our circumstances changed?

Paul
Old Jul 1st 2003, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

My Interpretation of all this is as follows:

For those who have already applied for PR under Gen. Skills:

If you submitted your application before 20/11/02, then your application will be 'lapsed' (ie they won't process it any further) and your application fee will be refunded, UNLESS you:
a) included a job offer OR
b) scored 28 points or more OR
c) NZIS have already issued you with a JSV OR
d) NZIS have invited you to apply for a JSV (NB this is *different* from submitting a PR application with the expectation of *getting* a JSV!) OR
e) Your application is at the point of being decided by NZIS OR
f) You have lodged an appeal and are awaiting a decision on that appeal.

If you submitted your application after 20/11/02 and before 1/7/03, then the website simply says "Assesment continues during 03/04" If you included a job offer with your application, then you have nothing to worry about, and your application will be 'prioritised'. If you didn't include a job offer with the expectation of getting a JSV, then as far as I can work out from the info NZIS have posted, your application will continue to be processed. Whether NZIS will give you a JSV or not is unclear - i expect this will be clarified pretty soon though.

If you have not yet submitted your application then from tomorrow, 2/7/3 you will need to include a job offer. No more JSV's will be issued to new applications, nor can points be claimed for job offers not relevant to your qualifications or experience. Passmark stays the same at 29.

When new Skilled Migrant Policy comes into effect later in the year, applicants will need to have a job offer, meet the usual character & health tests, and then go into a 'pool' in which the people with the highest scores are then 'invited' to apply for residence, and then get either residence or work to residence, depending on their circumstances (eg someone who is currently working in NZ on a work permit would get residence, someone who has just arrived and managed to get a job offer would get a work permit & residence later on).

Bit of a bombshell I agree, and there are going to be some disappointed people out there, however it is worth pointing out that NZIS have not made any changes to temporary entry policy (ie work visas/permits, working holiday visas, tourist visas etc). Remember that it is still possible to travel to NZas a tourist, look for work, and if successful apply for a work permit and/or PR.

all the best

Russ
Old Jul 1st 2003, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by BritboyNZ

When new Skilled Migrant Policy comes into effect later in the year, applicants will need to have a job offer, meet the usual character & health tests, and then go into a 'pool' in which the people with the highest scores are then 'invited' to apply for residence, and then get either residence or work to residence, depending on their circumstances (eg someone who is currently working in NZ on a work permit would get residence, someone who has just arrived and managed to get a job offer would get a work permit & residence later on).

all the best

Russ
An excellent summary of the situation, Russ.

The only technicality I would query is that I don't think a job offer is compulsory for the new Skilled Migrant category. If I'm reading right, people who score over a new passmark on largely the same criteria as now will be "invited" to apply for residence, and although a job offer will be the main way of subsequently securing residence, it will not be the only way (previous NZ work or study experience may also be sufficient).

The 2-year work-to-residence option sounds remarkably like a JSV but, presumably, with an obligation to work in the job you find for a certain length of time.

cheers,
John

Last edited by jseni01d; Jul 1st 2003 at 12:21 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2003, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Bear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default General Skills Category Scrapping

Blimey! That came as a shock - nothing like a bit of advance warning!
Does anybody know how long we've got to get a Gen Skills App in (with job offer) before it is scrapped to the knew 'register an interest' category?? Is it likely to be the very end of 03 and will there be any advance warning to the exact changeover date?
Keep Smiling!
Bear
Old Jul 1st 2003, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

TIZUS is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wanted to add my thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread. I guess this could be why - We can not get hold of our emigration agent! Or the applications manager in the company who's voice mail says he is on holiday until 7th July?

And there seems to be a delay at NZIS with regards to applications we were informed there was a back log! Our application with job offer was received on May 22nd for both a PR and job visa's. We were told it had been approved by the first person and was being handed over for final checking. At the time we were told job visa would take 2-4 weeks!!!

Just a little stressed husband is supposed to start work July 16th!! Thinking about just flying out anyway and completing the process in Nz at leats that way we can start getting a feel for the place rather than sitting here getting stressed!!

Any thoughts?

Tori
Old Jul 1st 2003, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

The Simpsons is an unknown quantity at this point

re JSV general skills applicants since november 02...

Sorry I don't know how to post a link, but if you go to the www.nzherald.co.nz and read the lead story on the new changes, there is a link at the bottom of the page, where it will take you to a pdf link. This sets out the changes at a glance. The interesting bit for JSV applicants says that we 'may' still be offered a JSV.

I don't know the source of this document, what does everyone else think, have I read it correctly?

here's hoping...

IGNORE ME (I think!)
This looks like an old document and my husband is now shouting at me....
Don't need this!

Last edited by The Simpsons; Jul 1st 2003 at 7:23 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2003, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

Further information about the changes can be found at:

http://www.beehive.govt.nz/dalziel/skilled-immigration/
Old Jul 1st 2003, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by smithone
Further information about the changes can be found at:

http://www.beehive.govt.nz/dalziel/skilled-immigration/

Excellent link Smithone!! helps to make it a bit clearer as this has all been a bit confusing and worrying today, although we have applied with a job offer on 1/5/03 so hopefully it will be O.K. If anything it maybe helps to explain how NZIS suddenly went from processing such visas in a week to a major backlog. Makes me think perhaps they had been told to put everything on hold until after this big announcement and that hopefully things will start to move again in the next few weeks!! Here's hoping anyway, and comisserations to all those who have yet to apply or have applied without a job offer. Sounds like there is still reasonable hope though if a job offer can be secured!
Old Jul 1st 2003, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by jajpe
Excellent link Smithone!! helps to make it a bit clearer as this has all been a bit confusing and worrying today, although we have applied with a job offer on 1/5/03 so hopefully it will be O.K. If anything it maybe helps to explain how NZIS suddenly went from processing such visas in a week to a major backlog. Makes me think perhaps they had been told to put everything on hold until after this big announcement and that hopefully things will start to move again in the next few weeks!! Here's hoping anyway, and comisserations to all those who have yet to apply or have applied without a job offer. Sounds like there is still reasonable hope though if a job offer can be secured!
Hi Shirley

Your thinking along the same lines as me form processing in a week to hearing nothing! Back log indeed!!

Tori
Old Jul 1st 2003, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pastor Flaps
On behalf of all of us hoping to move to NZ, thanks to everyone who has taken the time post this important and new information.
That is what this site is all about

Clearly it is very confusing and we now need to review our situation.
I guess it is good news for the agents as they will sell there skills in making the process easier.

Does anyone know the answer to our question;

If my wife applies for a visa, based on her qualification being accepted by NZQA and having a job offer, can we still go and will it now take a little longer to process. Has our circumstances changed?

Paul
Yes, it's a very confusing state of affairs. Regarding agents, this is a pertinent section from the announcments on the NZIS web site:

Once the residence application is lodged a high level of verification will be undertaken. IELTS certificates, qualifications, work experience and job offers will all be scrutinised carefully, and any false or misleading information will lead to a decline, from which there will be no right of review, (even if that false or misleading information is provided by an agent).
Old Jul 1st 2003, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by TIZUS
Just wanted to add my thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread. I guess this could be why - We can not get hold of our emigration agent! Or the applications manager in the company who's voice mail says he is on holiday until 7th July?

And there seems to be a delay at NZIS with regards to applications we were informed there was a back log! Our application with job offer was received on May 22nd for both a PR and job visa's. We were told it had been approved by the first person and was being handed over for final checking. At the time we were told job visa would take 2-4 weeks!!!

Just a little stressed husband is supposed to start work July 16th!! Thinking about just flying out anyway and completing the process in Nz at leats that way we can start getting a feel for the place rather than sitting here getting stressed!!

Any thoughts?

Tori
Tori, I suggest you look at the work visa route, to enable your husband to take up his job. As the job offer has clearly been submitted and your application was approved at the first pass, I can't see a problem (but keep phoning whoever you can). I don't know if this announcement makes work visas harder to get but previously they took from a few hours to a few days (or that's the impression I get). Alternatively, get your husband to ask his new employer for more time, explaining that the visa has been approved, needing only the final stamp.
Old Jul 1st 2003, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by sofistek
Tori, I suggest you look at the work visa route, to enable your husband to take up his job. As the job offer has clearly been submitted and your application was approved at the first pass, I can't see a problem (but keep phoning whoever you can). I don't know if this announcement makes work visas harder to get but previously they took from a few hours to a few days (or that's the impression I get). Alternatively, get your husband to ask his new employer for more time, explaining that the visa has been approved, needing only the final stamp.
Hi Tony

We submitted a our work visas at he same time as our PR (according to our agent) They arrived 22/5/03 at Nz House. My husband haS just come of the phone having spoken to his prospective boss in NZ and expalined the situation obviously he would like him there ASAP but fully understands we are doing everything we can! We may just go out on a tourist visa in the next week or so at least we can start settling in then.

Tori

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.