Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ Businesses - slow or just rude?

NZ Businesses - slow or just rude?

Old Oct 9th 2003, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Brummie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ Businesses - slow or just rude?

Took the recent decision to be proactive in getting NZ PR ie. get a job.

So I jacked in my job, booked a months trip to the Christchurch area with my family, contacted approx 25 prospective employers in this area with my cv via email and got back....5 responses! That's just 20% who could be bothered to reply (got 2 interviews out those 5 though!) and 80% who couldn't be bothered or thought it was junk mail. Fair enough as I was 'cold calling' from the other side of the world. So I got a bit more serious and followed this initial contact up with an interactive CD of my portfolio (I'm a Graphic Designer). This took a lot of time, organising and looked a very professional direct mail piece when it left these shores over 2 weeks ago. Sent it out with accompanying letter to 17 Ad agencies and Graphic Design studios that I had spent a lot of time researching.

Net result...1 reply!

And that was from a company that wanted to see me anyway - they just requested the CD to back up my cv contact. This has left a little disillusioned to say the least. If someone has spent time to show an interest in your company you respond out of courtesy even if it's a thanks but no thanks type of reply, but to not even bother is just down right rude. Is this indicative of NZ businesses in general? Maybe they thought I was crap and not worth the time and energy to to tell me so. One thing is for sure if it was someone contacting me from NZ saying 'Hi, I've travelled half way around the world to hopefully start a new life in the UK and I'm interested in your company...' then I'd find time to see them!

Has anyone else experienced this kind of attitude?
Old Oct 9th 2003, 7:59 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: NZ Businesses - slow or just rude?

Originally posted by Brummie

Has anyone else experienced this kind of attitude?
Yes i have.....every time i have applied for work.

It happens everywhere, UK, Oz...anywhere.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 8:36 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

they might think you're work is wonderful, but just not have any work...

and PeteY is right - you get the same thing everywhere

also NZ is a small place and word would've got around pretty quick that you'd contacted every agency in that area - that's good in one way, but it wouldn't make them feel particularly 'special' would it?

I would have thought getting 2 interviews out of 25 is actually pretty good.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 8:43 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we did aswell but I think it is because they are just maybe more laid back or they are just going about their normal everyday lives and they dont realise the urgency or importance, suddenly someone from the other side of the world contacts them but they dont realise the significance if they are busy in their own world. We are still coming across the laid back attitude even after a job offer, I cant wait to get over there and be as chilled
Old Oct 9th 2003, 9:30 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I was involved in a rollout of around 30 sites in NZ and 500 in Oz. The NZers took twice as long. They could not read instructions and would put everything together incorrectly.

Is there lead in the water supply? The Kiwis in Oz are nothing like that. Maybe that is why they are over here.

Just my experience.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 9:37 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

maybe it's because the instructions were written by Aussies and Poms

We don't believe in instructions in NZ - we just call round our cuzzie bros, open the beers, and get stuck in...
Old Oct 9th 2003, 9:38 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by bondipom
I was involved in a rollout of around 30 sites in NZ and 500 in Oz. The NZers took twice as long. They could not read instructions and would put everything together incorrectly.

Is there lead in the water supply? The Kiwis in Oz are nothing like that. Maybe that is why they are over here.

Just my experience.
Could this be the reason why Aussies HATE being called Kiwis i wonder??
Old Oct 9th 2003, 10:02 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jandjuk
maybe it's because the instructions were written by Aussies and Poms

We don't believe in instructions in NZ - we just call round our cuzzie bros, open the beers, and get stuck in...
Maybe it was because the words Choice Bro weren't in every sentence.
Old Oct 10th 2003, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

The Simpsons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZ Businesses - slow or just rude?

I haven't had a problem with getting replies from companies in Auckland. But I suppose they are much bigger companies than the ones in Christchurch. It could be that some of the people you contacted were 1 or 2 man bands, who may receive emails like yours a lot and just don't bother to reply anymore. Not saying that's right, but could be the reason?

I'm a graphic designer too, and I did what you're doing and chucked the job in and flew to Auckland. Took a month to get an offer, I was lucky! Family are here now too and we're getting ourselves settled. I'm sure if you keep at it, sooner or later a job will come up. My interviews went really well, and everyone liked me, but didn't have a vacancy for me at the time, so it really is a waiting game.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Old Oct 10th 2003, 9:32 am
NZ 2004 ... Inshallah

robernelli is an unknown quantity at this point

In support of NZ business, I have a 100% response rate....ok, I only contacted 1 organisation and they are very interested. I am not in graphic design but I have met a few (I studied it part time). Is it fair to say they (graphic designers) are more chilled than most? Not only that but I think being quite selective can help and demonstating that you know something about that particular organisation to make it not appear that they are just on a circular.

Rob