Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

nz bound-but need a job (catch 22?)

nz bound-but need a job (catch 22?)

Old Nov 2nd 2003, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

cayne tollett is an unknown quantity at this point
Question nz bound-but need a job (catch 22?)

I am an electrician who needs to now find work. I have completed my application under the general skills catergory and have just received approval back from the nzqa to say all my qualifications & refs are alright.

The problem I appear to be facing is that until the new category is launched I have to have a relevant job offer before I can submit my application, but all the jobs listed say I must be registered before I can submit my CV, yet I need to be granted residency before I can request to be registered. I feel like my head is swimming.

Because electricians are on the occupational shortage list, is there any way immigration will grant me a work visa so I can get out there, get full full registration and then finish my application?

Please does anyone have any advice they can give me. I feel I've got so far and now come up against a brick wall.

Cheers everyone.

Cayne:scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

moose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: nz bound-but need a job (catch 22?)

Hi Cayne, don't panic, try sending your cv etc to prospective employers in NZ, they are quite receptive to overseas applicants,and having spoken to several lately the accepted norm is for UK sparks to work under the supervision of a NZ spark whilst working to attain the relevant registration qualifications. It apparently is not unusual to get a job offer (depending on your experience etc) and at the moment sparks appear to be in demand all over NZ.Look in the NZ yellow pages and just contact electrical firms. Alternatively you can go over and take the relevant exams to attain registration and then start applying for jobs. The exams are taken twice a year, the next one being on Nov 29th, a course for same being run from Nov 24th (at Wellington college- Weltech).If you require any further info just ask,hope this has been helpful.
Moose
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

cayne tollett is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: nz bound-but need a job (catch 22?)

Originally posted by moose
Hi Cayne, don't panic, try sending your cv etc to prospective employers in NZ, they are quite receptive to overseas applicants,and having spoken to several lately the accepted norm is for UK sparks to work under the supervision of a NZ spark whilst working to attain the relevant registration qualifications. It apparently is not unusual to get a job offer (depending on your experience etc) and at the moment sparks appear to be in demand all over NZ.Look in the NZ yellow pages and just contact electrical firms. Alternatively you can go over and take the relevant exams to attain registration and then start applying for jobs. The exams are taken twice a year, the next one being on Nov 29th, a course for same being run from Nov 24th (at Wellington college- Weltech).If you require any further info just ask,hope this has been helpful.
Moose
Hi Moose,

Cheers for this. It has been helpful. Sounds like you are in about the same boat as me. Hope all goes well for you and let us know how you get on. Will certainly give the yellow pages a try. Have any of the companies you've spoken to had anything to say about the condition Immigration have set by way of the company having to prove they have advertised the job locally and nationally?
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 5:11 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

come to Queenstown,i dare say you could start work in the morning,work for a different company everyday of the week and still not be out of work for a month....the building boom is here 30 bucks an hour,but it wont buy you much of a house for less than half a mill in this place.
good luck
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Wanaka girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by deedee
come to Queenstown,i dare say you could start work in the morning,work for a different company everyday of the week and still not be out of work for a month....the building boom is here 30 bucks an hour,but it wont buy you much of a house for less than half a mill in this place.
good luck

I work in Wanaka as an electrician, I have not long got my registration and license.

Is the 30 bucks mentioned self employed or working for company.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 11:02 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

the 30 bucks an hour is what my friend earns subbing for someone else who is a builder so he is self employed but a one man band, i think.....nothings straight forward is it
He says he could work 24 hrs a day if he wanted to but theres more chance catching him on the lake in a cayak.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 4:49 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, BIG shortage of all skilled workers in any field relating to construction. I'm thinking of retraining as a plumber.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 4:59 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

the one thing that almost guarentees entry to NZ is if you say you can milk cows and want to move to the South.Retrain as a dairy cocky (should take all of 20 minutes) and your in with PR.
One of my other mates here is a pilot flying fixed wing planes dropping fertiliser and top dressing.I was amazed to here he only gets 35k$ per year for that.He also says there are more helicoter pilots in NZ than there are helicopters,which is why its not a well paid job.Don't really know what the best job to retrain for would be here in the south I'll stick to farming thanks
Old Nov 4th 2003, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Yep, BIG shortage of all skilled workers in any field relating to construction. I'm thinking of retraining as a plumber.
Been thinking of that myself!

Anyone know about these courses? - http://www.olcinternational.com/plumbing/index.htm
Is it worth doing?

Gra..