Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is NZ better than the uk

Is NZ better than the uk

Old Jan 30th 2004, 3:15 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I think BP was scarred by a bad experience in auckland and has never fully recovered.

something to do with not being able to find anything to do, and the kiwi IT workers who took ages to do stuff....

or something along those lines.... those are his favourite two stories about NZ.

actually BP isn't too bad.... I've seen worse on here. Wilf springs to mind....
Old Jan 30th 2004, 3:32 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jandjuk
I think BP was scarred by a bad experience in auckland and has never fully recovered.

something to do with not being able to find anything to do, and the kiwi IT workers who took ages to do stuff....

or something along those lines.... those are his favourite two stories about NZ.

That's not a one word answer

G
Old Jan 30th 2004, 3:40 pm
WBB

your off the wagon then.

Old Jan 30th 2004, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

hectashouse is an unknown quantity at this point

G

give it up man!just let it go!

there's good an bad every where you go..I've been to the rockies, the grand canyon, the redwood ntl park..yada yada..and they are all gorgeous places of outstanding natural beauty. But I've also been to yorkshire, the (uk) peaks, the lakes..all equally beautiful. I really wouldn't choose between them. I agree that its the height of insanity to migrate somewhere you've never been..but I'd also never consider writing off an entire country on the basis of that short trip!(unless its Belgium ;-))

also, there's nothing wrong with Japanese tourists! The Japanese have been some of the nicest, freindliest people I've ever met when travelling, they love to travel themselves and finally, whats wrong with local industries targeting tourism? that sounds like good business to me?

People EVERYWHERE are only to ready to rip you off - try being a tourist in London?!but also equally, there are a lot of very nice people EVERYWHERE who are only too ready to help out. On the whole, the kiwi's I've met have been really open freindly people (shame about the sense of humour ;-) ) and I'm really looking forward to migrating next year.

Originally posted by Grayling
Hi
As I said in my original post I did not want to upset anyone.
I am sure there is much of New Zealand I did not see.
I know the Peak district is not the same as over there.

I was simply giving my opinion and said it was not for me.

My post was a response to the number of people who are contemplating migration to New Zealand and have never been.

Some are even suggesting that they are contemplating migration to EITHER Australia or New Zealand which,to me , are like Chalk and cheese and show some naivety on some peoples parts if they think they are even comparable.

I get the impression that a lot of people think New Zealand is a kind of mini Australia and may be in for ashock.
As I said it will suit a lot of people but not others.

I was a bit disappointed I did not like it as my main hobby is Trout fishing which New Zealand has in abundance but that alone would not be a good reason for me to live there.

Apart from that.I think it a stupid idea to think about moving to any country that you have never even visited.

Each to their own.

G
Old Jan 30th 2004, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

>>height of insanity to migrate somewhere you've never been

I and probably a fair few did this and it worked out fine. Don't think I am insane... It's everyone else ;-)
Old Jan 30th 2004, 6:32 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by hectashouse
G

give it up man!just let it go!

there's good an bad every where you go..I've been to the rockies, the grand canyon, the redwood ntl park..yada yada..and they are all gorgeous places of outstanding natural beauty. But I've also been to yorkshire, the (uk) peaks, the lakes..all equally beautiful. I really wouldn't choose between them. I agree that its the height of insanity to migrate somewhere you've never been..but I'd also never consider writing off an entire country on the basis of that short trip!(unless its Belgium ;-))

also, there's nothing wrong with Japanese tourists! The Japanese have been some of the nicest, freindliest people I've ever met when travelling, they love to travel themselves and finally, whats wrong with local industries targeting tourism? that sounds like good business to me?

People EVERYWHERE are only to ready to rip you off - try being a tourist in London?!but also equally, there are a lot of very nice people EVERYWHERE who are only too ready to help out. On the whole, the kiwi's I've met have been really open freindly people (shame about the sense of humour ;-) ) and I'm really looking forward to migrating next year.

Why bring up a post I made a few weeks ago?
Are you that worried?

G
Old Jan 30th 2004, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

No i only just joined tonight.. plus you seemed pretty defensive in all the (many) replies you kept posting, so i kinda wanted to see if you were still that worried :-)

Originally posted by Grayling
Why bring up a post I made a few weeks ago?
Are you that worried?

G
Old Jan 30th 2004, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

ok, i probably got a bit carried away at that point :-) It actually makes me feel better knowing people have gone to nz without having been there before and loved it. Me and my partner are going next summer (hopefully) and its always good to get positive feedback on a place your gonna be spending the rest of your life in!

Originally posted by WheelsOfSteel
>>height of insanity to migrate somewhere you've never been

I and probably a fair few did this and it worked out fine. Don't think I am insane... It's everyone else ;-)
:scared:
Old Jan 30th 2004, 6:41 pm
Bitter and twisted

No i only just joined tonight.. plus you seemed pretty defensive in all the (many) replies you kept posting, so i kinda wanted to see if you were still that worried :-)
What have I got to worry about?
I have said I have no intention to return to New zealand.
I can afford to go where I want.

Pleased I have had such an impact that you have to check my old posts.

G
Old Jan 30th 2004, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

G

chill out, ya gonna give yaself a heart attack
Old Jan 30th 2004, 6:59 pm
Bitter and twisted

G

chill out, ya gonna give yaself a heart attack
Hey
Sounds like you are the one who needs to chill.
I've already got a visa.You have a long while to wait.

What have I done to warrant all this attention?

I did not like New Zealand.You may love it.
What's the problem?

Whatever floats your boat.

Good luck

G
Old Jan 30th 2004, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree that its the height of insanity to migrate somewhere you've never been..but I'd also never consider writing off an entire country on the basis of that short trip!
Thanks for the contradiction. It is nonsense to say that you need to visit a country first before migrating. Not many would disagree that it would be nice to visit but that will tell you very little. Very little indeed about what it would be like to live there. You have to live there to do that, so why not emigrate?

But the contradiction is the second part. If you wouldn't write off a country on the basis of one visit, you might as well emigrate first. Let's say you didn't have a great time in a two week stay. You're then saying that visit was pointless because you shouldn't write off the country if you didn't like it. So emigrating, without a visit can't be insane.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 7:08 pm
JoB
Off to middle earth

JoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to all

depends on your viewpoint in life....

try and imagine the UK but with only 4 million people instead of 60 million.... (and with a few more mountains and a long way from anywhere except australia)

ie less of everything, good and bad.

so the aforementioned bucket still has the same shit in it - just less of it....

so less traffic, but also less roads (so at times there's still a few traffic jams)

'less' crime.... but per head of popn the same as the UK.....

more space - but less shops

etc etc etc

for me it is 'better' in some respects, worse in others.... but I love the relatively untouched nature of the environment
JandJ

Crime rate not so, the moderator from another NZ forum has done some research. In summary each country records crime differently therefore you are not comparing apples to apples.
In uk if some was carjacked, also mugged, assaulted and raped. that would be one crime.

In NZ it would be 4 crimes.

So crime is lower per head of pop in NZ. Also many people in this country don't always report crime as it happens so frequently in certain areas.

Jo
Old Jan 30th 2004, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

well, you are kind of inviting attention with all this continual responding..i just made a few comments, none of which were personally directed at you, yet you do seem to be quite hostile towards me?

G, there isn't any need to brag about how much money you have, or things that you have that others don't have..with those kind of attitudes, its really not at all surprising that you didn't like nz.

are you on crack by any chance? or just a bit mental?
Old Jan 30th 2004, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

actually, thats true! my uncle emigrated to nz about 5 years ago..never been there before, but never looked back. so i take it back. truth is, I've only (largely) heard good things about nz and I can't wait to get there

actually, i was trying to be fair to G, who did make one or two good points, although I am now wishing i hadn't bothered!

Originally posted by sofistek
Thanks for the contradiction. It is nonsense to say that you need to visit a country first before migrating. Not many would disagree that it would be nice to visit but that will tell you very little. Very little indeed about what it would be like to live there. You have to live there to do that, so why not emigrate?

But the contradiction is the second part. If you wouldn't write off a country on the basis of one visit, you might as well emigrate first. Let's say you didn't have a great time in a two week stay. You're then saying that visit was pointless because you shouldn't write off the country if you didn't like it. So emigrating, without a visit can't be insane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.