NZ Anaesthetic Technicians

Wikiposts

NZ Anaesthetic Technicians

Old May 27th 2003, 9:37 am
Just Joined

timbaldy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ Anaesthetic Technicians

Hi

Any expat anaesthetic techs/nurses got any advice for us about finding jobs in NZ?

I'm an ODA by qualification and my wife a nurse, presently working as a Health Visitor but RSCN trained.

Did you use an agency, did you see and advert or just blast CV's to any likely hospitals.

NZ seems a good idea, but is it?
Old May 27th 2003, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

lucinda75 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi!(welcome by the way!!)

I am a theatre nurse working in melbourne, and I can definitely say that moving abroad is one of the best ( if scary!!) decisions I have ever made.

I came over with an agency (BBT) who I discovered in the back of Nursing times...but I know that there are similar things in the back of Tech mag too.

Nz is possibly a better option if you want to be accredited as an anasthetic tech, as your occupation is recognised there ( and in shortage too), whereas here in Oz, there are some states that recognise the tech qualification...and others that dont.
I was surprised to find...having worked with excellent ODPs in the UK, that nurses dominate the position here in Oz, and there are instances of technicians (who are looked upon as merely jumped up orderlies...I kid you not...)being faced with an uphill struggle to gain parallel professionalism.
A good friend of mine went to Auckland from the Uk and is loving it.......so much so that I havnt heard from her in 4 months!!!!!!!!!! she had to register with their tech organisation and then apply for migration. The last email from her was very positive, and that she had fitted in like a duck to water...I believe she used Drake Medox...but thats going back a bit!!

Anyway, good luck, and Im sure Nz will be a great choice for you.

(welcome to the nightmare that is migration!!!!!!!!!!)
Old May 28th 2003, 12:04 am
Christchurch Bound

stephen john is an unknown quantity at this point

Try Eden Brown now Eden Health they are coming to England in a few weeks they have been very helpful to us, alternatively email the district health board of your choice with your cv.Some agencies are more helpful than others a case of supply and demand.A couple of agencies put us of because i had no recent ward experience although i have 12 years community nurse experience. Good luck.
Old May 29th 2003, 8:35 am
Just Joined

timbaldy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by stephen john
Try Eden Brown now Eden Health they are coming to England in a few weeks they have been very helpful to us, alternatively email the district health board of your choice with your cv.Some agencies are more helpful than others a case of supply and demand.A couple of agencies put us of because i had no recent ward experience although i have 12 years community nurse experience. Good luck.
Thanks for that, my wife wonders what sort of community nursing you were/are doing here?
Have you been offered a ward based job or are you wanting another community position as she has noticed the "Maori experience essential" comment appears to crop up all the time!
Old May 29th 2003, 5:58 pm
Christchurch Bound

Originally posted by timbaldy
Thanks for that, my wife wonders what sort of community nursing you were/are doing here?
Have you been offered a ward based job or are you wanting another community position as she has noticed the "Maori experience essential" comment appears to crop up all the time!

Hi, Im a district nurse and have been offered a job on a medical ward.I would love a community job but for the reasons you mentioned they are apparently hard to get.I had to go and do some agency work first in the hospital.We are just waiting to hear about the visas.RSCN trained she should have no problem getting a ward job.Good luck
Old May 29th 2003, 6:06 pm
Christchurch Bound

Originally posted by stephen john
Hi, Im a district nurse and have been offered a job on a medical ward.I would love a community job but for the reasons you mentioned they are apparently hard to get.I had to go and do some agency work first in the hospital.We are just waiting to hear about the visas.RSCN trained she should have no problem getting a ward job.Good luck
Found this on the job stuff i hope it works!!

New Zealand

Healthy Lifestyles - the great outdoors

Short and long term work available

New Zealands awesome landscapes, lush forests, amazing wildlife and pleasant climate make it a haven for many outdoor activities, and a great place to unwind. The great advantage of New Zealand is that all of its diverse physical, cultural, and artistic landscapes are so close to each other!

Full assistance with

Registration

Immigration

Relocation

Does this sound like you?

We are looking to recruit anaesthetic technicians for private and public hospitals throughout the South Island of New Zealand.

The successful applicant must be eligible for NZ registration which we will assist with.

Nurses: post graduate experience in the acute setting preferred. Anaesthetic Techs: 2 years post graduate experience essential for registration. You must be able to provide skilled, clinical and technical assistance to the anaesthetist and be able to work as part of the theatre team in providing maximum quality care to patients undergoing anaesthesia.

Like to know more?

To submit your application, in strict confidence, please apply online using the appropriate link below including a covering letter outlining you key skills for this role. Alternatively, to find out more about this opportunity, please contact Philippa Douglas at [email protected]r in our Christchurch office on (03) 374 8262, quoting Ref No. 9G/00529.

Your interest will be treated in the strictest of confidence.

Reference: 9G/00529
Email: [email protected]

View company profile