Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nursing Salary??

Nursing Salary??

Old Sep 15th 2014, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

Sas1985kia is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Nursing Salary??

I am wondering what kind of salary I can expect? I am a degree qualified paediatric nurse and have worked on a Neonatal intensive care unit since qualifying 5 years ago. I have qualification in speciality and am a band 6.

Can I expect to find many jobs with a similar role? What sort of pay can I expect?
Old Sep 15th 2014, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Nursing Salary??

meant to say I am looking at victoria/new south wales coastal area but not decided on location yet. thanks
Old Sep 15th 2014, 10:43 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sas1985kia
I am wondering what kind of salary I can expect? I am a degree qualified paediatric nurse and have worked on a Neonatal intensive care unit since qualifying 5 years ago. I have qualification in speciality and am a band 6.

Can I expect to find many jobs with a similar role? What sort of pay can I expect?
Salary will depend on the job you can get....do not expect to walk in to an equivalent position over here.

You will probably be offered a basic level job on the pay scale for your years of experience....anything higher you will need to apply for and compete in the usual way.

Pay scales will be available online....just use google
Old Sep 15th 2014, 10:49 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

A year 6 registered nurse ( which sounds like you will be) will get around $1400 per week in NSW
There will also be shift allowance and penalty payments...this is before tax.

This is public sector...private will be different but usually a bit less.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

and if you dont mind me asking what kind of costs are rental properties? Would be looking at 3 bedroom properties.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 11:46 pm
Bitter and twisted

and if you dont mind me asking what kind of costs are rental properties? Would be looking at 3 bedroom properties.
That depends pretty much on where it is.

Say $400 PW onwards.....up to thousands in parts of Sydney.

It would be easier if you had some idea where you are planning to go.

Bear in mind that that you will need to think about where your husband can find work

Work is more available in the cities and they are much more expensive places to live....Australia is not a cheap country to live in.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 3:14 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Nursing Salary??

Hi - have a look at the rental section of Real Estate, Property & Homes For Sale - realestate.com.au. That should help.

Bear in mind that tenants do not have to pay rates but they do have to pay all other bills, and furnish the house completely.

BB
Old Sep 16th 2014, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Rachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant future

Furnish includes providing washing machine, dryer and refrigerator in most cases. We recently had a major issue with a new tenant who assumed that they were included and our agent who assumed he knew they were not.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 12:02 am
Just Joined

Ahh right so it would mean taking literally everything! I knew it was going to cost a fair bit but I never thought in a million years it would be much :-(
Old Sep 17th 2014, 12:24 am
Bitter and twisted

Ahh right so it would mean taking literally everything! I knew it was going to cost a fair bit but I never thought in a million years it would be much :-(
You could Probably do it.....as long as you had a job lined up before you go.

Firstly get a permanent skilled visa as this gives you the freedom to change jobs if necessary.
Make sure you go somewhere where there is a choice of hospitals to give you more options. This would probably mean to a City and that way there would be more chance of your husband finding work.....I very much doubt if he could get a job as postman.

Take your time and plan carefully....build up a fund to tide you over.

Sponsorship may sound attractive but it would not give you permanent residency and you could not leave the job unless you found another one....or you would have to leave the country......many employers have been known to take advantage of this and put you into positions no one else wants.

Approach the whole exercise very carefully and do not underestimate the expense.

Having a job to go to would make the whole process much easier.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 1:40 am
Just Joined

That is exactly how I was intending on approaching it :-) and we were looking at a timescale of 2-3 years but I just can't imagine that we could save anywhere near to 20k just didn't imagine it would be so much. Thank you all for your help and advice though I really appreciate it x
Old Sep 17th 2014, 8:23 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

That is exactly how I was intending on approaching it :-) and we were looking at a timescale of 2-3 years but I just can't imagine that we could save anywhere near to 20k just didn't imagine it would be so much. Thank you all for your help and advice though I really appreciate it x
You can manage the costs by breaking the steps down. Not sure of how much it costs, but you can do the skills assessment and IELTS and they are valid for 3 years I think. When you have enough saved for the visa you can lodge the EOI - costs can be found on the immi website. During the application you will need medicals and police checks - there is a thread in the immigration section here on recent costs and will be needed shortly after applying for the visa.

Once you have a visa, you will need to validate it so flights to Australia - but it will be valid for 5 years so you do not need to move straight away. If you apply for AHPRA registration after you have the visa you may be able to find a job before moving.

Of course, you could apply for AHPRA registration first and hope to secure a job on a 457 visa which will reduce some initial outlay but not so secure for a family and can add costs on arrival - school fees for one.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

curlytops is on a distinguished road

Nursing salaries vary from state to state. Victoria currently pay the least approx 10k less than others!
Old Sep 21st 2014, 8:54 am
Just Joined

Thanks all, will keep all your comments in mind! We are going to an expo next weekend to speak to some potential employers, etc and will take it from there but at the moment we are thinking we will have to put the idea on hold x