Reload this Page >

Nursing Down Under

Nursing Down Under

Old Mar 5th 2007, 12:36 am
Just Joined

baileyjnr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nursing Down Under

Hey everyone,

Enjoying reading all the posts on the site, glad I found this website! Well my question is for you lovely Nurses working down under if you could spare a min... will I be able to work/gain a license with a Diploma, or is it a requirement to have the Bachelor of Nursing?? I'm a Pre-reg (Diploma) Student Nurse in Manchester, at the Christie Hospital, will qualify in May '08 - I intend to emmigrate Down Under the 1st chance I get. Very grateful for any info/advice!

Cheers,
Declan

P.s. Brisbane, Queensland is where I'm aiming for, if that makes a difference...
Old Mar 5th 2007, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Nursing Down Under

Hi good luck with your visa application. I have a diploma of nursing and it has been accepted as a qualification to allow me to work in Australia. I have a job on the nurse bank at the Royal Brisbane Hospital, but have yet to work my first shift.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 6:27 am
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

You might get a better response posting this on the nursing form
Old Mar 5th 2007, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

bex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nice

Hello

No you don't need your degree to nurse in Australia.
As long as you can provide evidence of a UK nursing qualification, Either certificate, diploma or degree, and you have a registration with the NMC, what you will need is post registration experience Don't quote me I think it was a couple of years, but you would be better going onto the nursing part of this forum.

Good luck

Becky

I am a Uk nurse in Perth with a RGN certificate but with 16 years experience !
Old Mar 5th 2007, 8:06 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bex 66
Hello

No you don't need your degree to nurse in Australia.
As long as you can provide evidence of a UK nursing qualification, Either certificate, diploma or degree, and you have a registration with the NMC, what you will need is post registration experience Don't quote me I think it was a couple of years, but you would be better going onto the nursing part of this forum.

Good luck

Becky

I am a Uk nurse in Perth with a RGN certificate but with 16 years experience !
You don't necessarily need any post reg experience but visa options are limited for newly qualified nurses. I've got a job as a graduate nurse (no experience needed) :-)
Old Mar 5th 2007, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by baileyjnr
Hey everyone,

Enjoying reading all the posts on the site, glad I found this website! Well my question is for you lovely Nurses working down under if you could spare a min... will I be able to work/gain a license with a Diploma, or is it a requirement to have the Bachelor of Nursing?? I'm a Pre-reg (Diploma) Student Nurse in Manchester, at the Christie Hospital, will qualify in May '08 - I intend to emmigrate Down Under the 1st chance I get. Very grateful for any info/advice!

Cheers,
Declan

P.s. Brisbane, Queensland is where I'm aiming for, if that makes a difference...
Hiya Declan, I have a diploma in nursing, did my training at Christie as well (hated every minute of it) and am now working in Perth, no problems.
Tracie
Old Mar 5th 2007, 1:31 pm
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute

Hey everyone,

Cheers,
Declan

Hi, I did the old style training but have since gained my diploma. As already mentioned you only need to be registered with the NMC. They send off transcripts of your training to the ANMC and you can get your skills assessment. I got a job over the phone and have now been there 6 months.

I beleive it is 1 yr post reg experience but I know that my hospital (Royal Adelaide) is now considering newly qualifieds for their Graduate Nurse Program. We currently have 3 students doing their elective placement with us. That might be worth considering.

xRachx
Old Mar 5th 2007, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

bethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nice

hi there

congratulations on your plans because you'll unlikely get a job in the holy crap that is the nhs!!!

i too am a nurse headed for brisbane, are you going on your visa or partners? if its your visa than you need to have been working as a qualified nurse for 12 out of the previous 18 months and as already noted that is unlikely in the present nhs climate!
you would however possibly get a sponsorship and then you would be ok to get a visa, the only downside to this is that you are contracted to that employer like it or not for a set time, usually 2 years.

good luck with your plans

Beth
Old Mar 5th 2007, 5:48 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Everytime I see this thread I think it's going to be about a vasectomy.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the replies, much appreciated, and interesting to hear... I was considering trying the Graduate Nurse Program (newly qualified, without experience) as I have contact with a few hospitals down under already.

However I am also considering studying in Australia for 1 year Post-reg (Bachelor of Science (Nursing) Conversion Program for Diplomates, Curtin University), there's a couple of other Uni's Down Under also.

I've read some info about these conversion courses and I think the year studying towards Degree and 3 practice placments in hospitals should give me a sound intro to Aussie Nursing, etc. And hopefully this will alleviate any problems I might have as a newly qualified nurse, thrown in at the deep end!

Has anyone done this before on here? heard anything about the conversion courses??

Sorry for posting this thread in wrong place too, only just realised! hehe

Last edited by baileyjnr; Mar 5th 2007 at 10:27 pm. Reason: wrong thread
Old Mar 5th 2007, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ladywithatorch
Hi, I did the old style training but have since gained my diploma. As already mentioned you only need to be registered with the NMC. They send off transcripts of your training to the ANMC and you can get your skills assessment. I got a job over the phone and have now been there 6 months.

I beleive it is 1 yr post reg experience but I know that my hospital (Royal Adelaide) is now considering newly qualifieds for their Graduate Nurse Program. We currently have 3 students doing their elective placement with us. That might be worth considering.

xRachx
I was considering doing my Elective Placement in September, would have been a great idea but the costs for Australia have spiralled as I have researched! I would have to pay for a semester (overseas course) at a University, or pay a hospital directly - plus accomodation would be an issue for me. I have now decided to do my Elective in India for about £2000 (all fees inclusive!), half the price of what budgetted for Australia - least I'll get to see another country before working full-time Down Under
Old Mar 6th 2007, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Thank you for the replies, much appreciated, and interesting to hear... I was considering trying the Graduate Nurse Program (newly qualified, without experience) as I have contact with a few hospitals down under already.

However I am also considering studying in Australia for 1 year Post-reg (Bachelor of Science (Nursing) Conversion Program for Diplomates, Curtin University), there's a couple of other Uni's Down Under also.

I've read some info about these conversion courses and I think the year studying towards Degree and 3 practice placments in hospitals should give me a sound intro to Aussie Nursing, etc. And hopefully this will alleviate any problems I might have as a newly qualified nurse, thrown in at the deep end!

Has anyone done this before on here? heard anything about the conversion courses??

Sorry for posting this thread in wrong place too, only just realised! hehe
To be honest I wouldn't worry about being thrown in at the deep end as a newly qualified over here. The graduate nurses are really well supported and aren't left alone like back home.
Tracie
Old Mar 6th 2007, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
To be honest I wouldn't worry about being thrown in at the deep end as a newly qualified over here. The graduate nurses are really well supported and aren't left alone like back home.
Tracie

Fantastic, I'll keep my options open atleast but if I find a job as Graduate Nurse soon as I qualify then I'll take it! Welldone for getting through your training at Christie's and moving down under, aswell!
Old Mar 6th 2007, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by datamile
Hi grinning from ear to ear however I am a female!!
Old Mar 6th 2007, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

pata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by datamile
Can relate to that .... I work on a urology ward!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.