Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nursing in Australia

Nursing in Australia

Old Feb 26th 2012, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

sweetpea8610 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nursing in Australia

I am currently studying a degree in adult nursing in Scotland. I finish in August and my graduation is in November. I have been reading lots of posts about the best way to gain a nursing job in Australia so please forgive for bringing it up again.

Anyway, I've been looking at many post-grad nursing programmes in Australia, eg Ramsey Health Care, Queensland Government. I did have my heart on gaining a place on one of these programmes but what I can gather from previous posts is that it's very competitive and that many new-grad nurses in Australia find it difficult in gaining a place on these programmes. How true is this and would it be extremely lucky if a new-grad from the UK gained a position on one of these programmes?

Also, would it be much better to gain a years experience before coming over? The job situation in the UK is terrible at the moment and many of my friends have had to wait over a year before gaining their first post as a nurse and this is one of the reasons for me wanting to apply for post-grad programmes in Australia. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance
Old Feb 26th 2012, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nursing in Australia

Originally Posted by sweetpea8610
I am currently studying a degree in adult nursing in Scotland. I finish in August and my graduation is in November. I have been reading lots of posts about the best way to gain a nursing job in Australia so please forgive for bringing it up again.

Anyway, I've been looking at many post-grad nursing programmes in Australia, eg Ramsey Health Care, Queensland Government. I did have my heart on gaining a place on one of these programmes but what I can gather from previous posts is that it's very competitive and that many new-grad nurses in Australia find it difficult in gaining a place on these programmes. How true is this and would it be extremely lucky if a new-grad from the UK gained a position on one of these programmes?

Also, would it be much better to gain a years experience before coming over? The job situation in the UK is terrible at the moment and many of my friends have had to wait over a year before gaining their first post as a nurse and this is one of the reasons for me wanting to apply for post-grad programmes in Australia. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance
Competition is fierce in WA, no idea about other states... Beware of the quality of the program being offered... They differ....

IMHO it would be worth consolidating in the nursing culture you were educated in... IF you can get a job... It may shake your confidence somewhat having to unlearn/relearn.... Practice is different here....

On the other hand ... If your move is permanant why put off your move?

Only thing I would n't suggest is qualifying and Not working TIL you get here... A long gap between registering and working as a Registered Nurse for the first time isnt easy to cope with....

Personally I would work for a couple of years and come over on an independent PR visa...

Buggerit, no I wouldnt, I'd just get here as fast as I can.... And any way I can
Old Feb 27th 2012, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Jacquih1 is an unknown quantity at this point

What is the best location to live in in Perth and also does anyone know what the average wage is for a registrered nurse?

Best wishes

Jacqui
Old Feb 27th 2012, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacquih1
What is the best location to live in in Perth and also does anyone know what the average wage is for a registrered nurse?

Best wishes

Jacqui
You are going to have to do some serious research by yourself...because no one can tell you what you want/need/can afford as per place to live... I mean..you ask anyone in the uk where is the best place in london to live... Kensington palace? sW1? Hyde Park? camden? Brixton.... Its a ridiculous question if you think about it

There is plenty of info online...not being funny but.you have to do some of the leg work yourself... Or perhaps rephrase that question.

Nurse wages... Depends upon employer, field, length of time qualified and unsocialness of shift as to what you get paid.

Dont mean to appear rude,( thats a bonus,) people on here are extremely helpful... Ask an opinion, they're like @nuses... Everyone has one. But refine your question if you really want some serious answers.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Eddie,

but people living in Perth must know where the rough areas are and where not to live...even if no value of property is considered...so where are they?

There must be nurses living in Perth who can say what the average pay for nurses is even if it is the starting pay, or on average... I left my question as open as possible and not a closed question, like you suggest, for people to offer their experience and views....thank you for your reply best wishes
Jacqui
Old Feb 27th 2012, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Right folks unlike Eddies view the question remains the same. (unlike Eddies view I am doing serious research and leg work, sad he was judgemental thinking that I am not but I am sure he is being helpful).

Does anyone want to offer or give any info? - What is or are the best locations to live in in Perth (i.e. those not known locally as rough areas) and also does anyone know what the average wage is for a registrered nurse?
Those in nursing what is the statutory minimum they can pay/average annual salary?

Best wishes

Jacqui

Jacqui
Old Feb 27th 2012, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Shenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Nursing in Australia

Hi Jacqui,
I hope you realise that they moved you way across the country, you mentioned Qld in your original post and got replies from WA. I know one fairly newly qualified mental health nurse who went to Brisbane and she did the 1 year transistion course and got credits towards her masters, diploma student here and worked 12 months in functional over 65's. She loves her work and is now doing community. In Oz you train for general and then do add ons such as mental health and midwifery from what I can understand.
I am looking at heading home this year and am raffling my house here in the UK instead of placing it on the market.

Shenni
Old Feb 27th 2012, 8:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

For pay scales start here - http://www.fairwork.gov.au/awards/pages/default.aspx

Eddie is right about the "where to live" thing - its very subjective. The question comes up for every Aus city, and if you search on here for most suburbs in Aus you will find pros and cons. there are places some of us would never live in - but others live there happily.
Give people a bit more info maybe, are you married? kids? need good schools? want to live by the beach or in the city? Do you want an older suburb or somewhere modern? Public transport needed?

I see you asked about living in Geraldton too - that would be VERY different. I had a friend on here, Jaydeee, who lived there a few years ago, check out some of her posts http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=24758
Old Feb 27th 2012, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Shenni,

thank you for replying...can you share any more of your experience? When you say heading home is that Aus or UK?

Jacqui
Old Feb 27th 2012, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Have a look on www.realestate.com.au and get some prices in your head. Once you know your pay you can look at affordable areas. That's how I started!
Old Feb 27th 2012, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Pollyanna

thank you for the info..I have 1 son and no idea where want to be why I left it open..it is subjective but generally places have known crime rough areas that in general most people do not want to be in...crime stats never reflect the truth and in general each city have one or two rough areas, once I knbow them I am pretty much easy about the rest as will rent until I finally decide..I will look at your friends posts too...but the same applies for Geraldton..where are the rough areas to avoid..local people know these and I will look everwhere else..renting then will look for permanence before I apply...schooling is not in the equastion..Jacqui
Old Feb 27th 2012, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

sweetpea8610 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eddie007
Competition is fierce in WA, no idea about other states... Beware of the quality of the program being offered... They differ....

IMHO it would be worth consolidating in the nursing culture you were educated in... IF you can get a job... It may shake your confidence somewhat having to unlearn/relearn.... Practice is different here....

On the other hand ... If your move is permanant why put off your move?

Only thing I would n't suggest is qualifying and Not working TIL you get here... A long gap between registering and working as a Registered Nurse for the first time isnt easy to cope with....

Personally I would work for a couple of years and come over on an independent PR visa...

Buggerit, no I wouldnt, I'd just get here as fast as I can.... And any way I can
Thanks for the advice. I may have no choice but waiting awhile after registration till I get a job.....in this country! Job situation is terrible. I can see Queensland Health are opening applications for their post-grad programme at the end of March. May aswell take a chance at applying. Wish me luck!
Old Feb 27th 2012, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

thanks tramps-mate..will use that to look for renting to start with...but it still does not give me the local knowledge of the rough areas to avoid..if I hve to be prescriptive that means, low income, crime/drug offenders with low social standing and unpleasant to live in...everywhere has them..so where are they?
Old Feb 27th 2012, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Good luck sweetpea....
Old Feb 27th 2012, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jacquih1
Right folks unlike Eddies view the question remains the same. (unlike Eddies view I am doing serious research and leg work, sad he was judgemental thinking that I am not but I am sure he is being helpful).

Does anyone want to offer or give any info? - What is or are the best locations to live in in Perth (i.e. those not known locally as rough areas) and also does anyone know what the average wage is for a registrered nurse?
Those in nursing what is the statutory minimum they can pay/average annual salary?

Best wishes

Jacqui
Jacqui
The length of time you have been qualified and field you work in, whether you work in private/public and also the shifts you work will determine what you get paid.

Eg newly qualified nurse gets a shed load less than a highly experienced nurse..

How long have you been qualified? Where do you plan to work? are you looking for a monday-friday or shift work?

Not a closed question... Just giving people the chance to give you an answer that is relevant...

I trained with Florence and work Nights in the public sector.... What do you do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.