Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nursing in Adelaide - to Shona and Ginny

Nursing in Adelaide - to Shona and Ginny

Old Oct 23rd 2002, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

adelaidegirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nursing in Adelaide - to Shona and Ginny

Hi ladies, I have a couple of mates who are nurses in Adelaide, there seems to be plenty of work here (and when you first get here you should have no trouble getting temporary work via the nursing agencies, til you find something permanent). Not sure, but I think you might be able to access the jobs section of the Adelaide Advertiser on-line, why not do an internet search. Saturday is the day for most job adverts, and they have a section dedicated to medical vacancies. They also have a section for IT but it is a lot smaller than the one for nursing. I think Joe Fish (another forumer) posted a thread on IT in Adelaide, when he came here to check out the place. adelaidegirl
Old Oct 24th 2002, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Ginny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thanks adelaidegirl

Hi there,

With the new layout I'm not sure if I'm doing this right but I'll give it a go. Thanks for that information. I've been concentrating my search on Brisbane and surrounding areas but when we first talked about emigrating (all those years ago!) we seriously considered Adelaide. I think it was the fact that I am trying for IT that put us off (although if it's nursing then it's nursing) because from what I gathered there wasn't much in that area. Thanks also for the info about Joe Fish, I'll do a search and see what I come up with.

Thanks again and if you've any other snippets of information please let me know.

Ginny.
Old Oct 24th 2002, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

annyl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nursing in Adelaide - to Shona and Ginny

Hi there,

I've been nursing in Adelaide since I migrated here in 86. Theres plenty of work in all areas. Best thing to do is join an agency and work at various sites and see where you like best. I've just returned from a holiday back in the UK and houses here in Adelaide are about a third of the price compaired with London. Also rental accommodation is pretty easy to find in most areas. Adelaides a great place to live but unfortunately is often overlooked when people decide to visit/migrate here. Would be happy to give hospital names and addresses if interested.
Old Oct 24th 2002, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginny is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

Thanks for that. I'm in neonates and my hubby does renal, mainly heamodialysis. Any information whether it's on housing schools cost of living things to do etc you can give us please do. I would appreciate it.

Thanks again

Ginny
Old Oct 24th 2002, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

micky will become famous soon enoughmicky will become famous soon enough

Hi Adelaidegirl,
We can migrate whenever we want as we've got our visas.
The've to be validated by April '03.
We were hoping to move to Perth but......
we are quite keen to check out other states before we decide.
Decide - 'if' we move and also whereto.

Thanks for all your info.
Cheers, Shona
Old Oct 29th 2002, 7:05 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nursing in Adelaide - to Shona and Ginny

Originally posted by adelaidegirl
Hi ladies, I have a couple of mates who are nurses in Adelaide, there seems to be plenty of work here (and when you first get here you should have no trouble getting temporary work via the nursing agencies, til you find something permanent).

Ever wondered why there are loads of nursing jobs in Adelaide?

The Workplace Bullying Project, conducted in 1997 by the South Australian Working Women's Centre, showed Nurses and Teachers to be the most bullied of all South Australian Workers. The recommendations made in this report have been ignored by the South Australian Government. Nurses and Teachers continue to be amongst the most bullied, abused and exploited workers in South Australia. (For a copy of this report please phone 61 8 8410 6499)

The 1998 - 1999 Annual Report by the Office of the Employee Ombudsman in South Australia, states "Interestingly the survey also reported that the industry groupings recording the greatest number of responses to the survey were education and health, the public service departments responsible for the greatest number of complaints to this Office." (page 25) For a copy of the Employee Ombudsman's Annual Report and a copy of the publication "Bullies Not Wanted: Recognising and Eliminating Bullying in the Workplace," please phone 61 8 8207 1970)