Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nurse wages in Oz

Wikiposts

Nurse wages in Oz

Old Sep 27th 2003, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Pay our Nurses a decent wage to attract newcomers into the profession, curb expensive Agency nursing, and stop poaching from other countries.
I cant argue with that.
Old Sep 27th 2003, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Slater
Countries such as Zimbabwe, South Africa and the Phillipines are experiencing severe shortages of medical staff and can't treat their own people, even Doctors in the Phillipines are retraining as nurses to come here, what's the sense in that!
Pay our Nurses a decent wage to attract newcomers into the profession, curb expensive Agency nursing, and stop poaching from other countries.

Slater

AHA!!...at last we strike common ground..

i am diabetic too
Old Sep 27th 2003, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Slater
Countries such as Zimbabwe, South Africa and the Phillipines are experiencing severe shortages of medical staff and can't treat their own people, even Doctors in the Phillipines are retraining as nurses to come here, what's the sense in that!

Slater

and lets all emigrate ha ha ha

im a nurse, i dont earn that bad a wage, im a job i love so, yeah its stressful but loads of jobs are we are not unique in nursing for being stressed, the only difference is if we make a mistake someone could die

love my job, love my country but hey got to try new things

arlene
Old Sep 27th 2003, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

i am diabetic too
Seems there are a lot of us. ! I never used to tell anyone and its only over last few years that I did and its surprising how many people are.
Old Sep 27th 2003, 12:28 am
Nutty Nurse

LondonNurse will become famous soon enoughLondonNurse will become famous soon enough

There isn't a shortage of ppl applying to go to university to study nursing. I'm going to do a bit of a PB here lol

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/978726.stm

http://education.guardian.co.uk/high...876024,00.html

Not the best websites to illustrate my point but I remember hearing on the radio that nursing was one of the subjects that was receiving the most applications. The problem lies not in the recruitment of nurses, but the retention.

"Belinda Finlayson and colleagues estimated that more than 24,000 students qualified as nurses between 1997 and 1998.

However, just over 16,000 nurses registered to practise during that year suggesting a further 8,000 had decided against pursuing a career in nursing.

The researchers called for further study to examine why these students were failing to take up jobs. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2238892.stm

Personally, I can remember being left in charge of a bay of very sick patients in my first year. No wonder really that 8000 didnt bother to register with the NMC. They realised what they were getting into!
Old Sep 27th 2003, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

the only difference is if we make a mistake someone could die
If the ambulance driver does not get there in time someone could die, if the engineer who maintains the ambulance makes a mistake someone could die, if the paramedic makes a mistake someone could die, if the guy who fixes the equipment makes a mistake someone could die. If the pharmacy labeled the drugs wrong someone could die.

If a chef serves bad food people can die, if a social worker makes a wrong decision people can die. Loads of people are in that someone could die equation.

Although I take your point and I am just being flippant.

As a computer consultant if I lost the directors data it would only be me that was going to die.

Last edited by karawara88; Sep 27th 2003 at 12:53 am.
Old Sep 27th 2003, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Although I take your point and I am just being flippant.

As a computer consultant if I lost the directors data it would only be me that was going to die.

god forbid if i took you seriously, agree with your point as well loads of jobs are stressful and badly paid

if you cant handle the stress then get out of the job because it will get to you in the end

now, where is my wine to combat all that stree

arlene
Old Sep 27th 2003, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

god forbid if i took you seriously
I am pleased that you don't and can see through me.
Old Sep 27th 2003, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by karawara88
I am pleased that you don't and can see through me.

dont know what you mean

arlene