Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nurse wages in Oz

Wikiposts

Nurse wages in Oz

Old Sep 26th 2003, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

The list goes on... we certainly are not looking for sympathy, it was a chosen career path. But to bemoan them earning a measly $47,000 per year is a joke!!!
Chosen career path. Thats exactly it. A guy who becomes a motor mechanic (example) does not moan hes underpaid because he gets oily cuts his hands, gets abuse from customers. He chose that career path.

Why is it teachers, police, nurses are continually moaning for payrises, their jobs are no more stressfull, difficult, tedious than a lot of others who get paid less than they do. You only have to walk into a UK NHS hospital you see gross waste of money, waste of resources, bad managment, negligence. If private companies were run like that they would be out of business.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by karawara88
Chosen career path. Thats exactly it. A guy who becomes a motor mechanic (example) does not moan hes underpaid because he gets oily cuts his hands, gets abuse from customers. He chose that career path.

Why is it teachers, police, nurses are continually moaning for payrises, their jobs are no more stressfull, difficult, tedious than a lot of others who get paid less than they do. You only have to walk into a UK NHS hospital you see gross waste of money, waste of resources, bad managment, negligence. If private companies were run like that they would be out of business.

LMAO... so you've never heard a mechanic moaning about his job and money??...you should get out more..i can think of several off the top of my head!!
Old Sep 26th 2003, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

LMAO... so you've never heard a mechanic moaning about his job and money??...you should get out more..i can think of several off the top of my head!!
That was not the point I was making. I have never heard a mechanic moan because he gets oily, cuts his hands, gets abuse from customers and because of this he should be paid more.

We all moan about our jobs and think we are worth more.

But the post I replied to was saying we should not bemoan them (mental nurses) earning a measly $47,000 per year because they had to put up with days at work under the threat of violence, wipe faeces off walls smeared on there deliberately, listen and counsel someone who has murdered their children.

Why does that mean they should be paid more than $47,000 when many people in other profffessions have just as bad a time yet get paid far less. ? Social workers, welfare workers, councillors all the proffessions that tend to sit in the back ground.

I am not saying nurses do not do a good worthwhile job, and I sure as hell would not want to be a mental nurse coping with the above, but I chose not to go into that work.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 8:04 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Sue, while I dont know anything about nurses wages, that wage overall seems pretty damn low. I used to earn more than that doing call centre customer service! If nurses dont get paid more than a lackey who sits there & answers the phone then theres something seriously wrong! My guess is that the agency is taking a cut (& a fairly hefty one by the sound of it!), I would check again with them.

Oh & the tax site would be AustralianTax Office

hi mrs dagboy
beginning to think you may be right about the hefty cut!!!!
have any nurses out in oz got their jobs by approaching the hospitals directly? were you in oz at the time or outside?

sue
Old Sep 26th 2003, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

kzippi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi There Tiredwithtwins

On the ANF site just click on the state you require at the foot of the opening page and then go to rates of pay on the left hand side..........Good luck!!
We are at the final stage, medicals and pcs have gone off, just waiting now, agent says we should hear any day.
How about you.

To ??possum (sorry can't remember)

I too currently work in one of the UK's 3 maximum security psychiatric hospitals and I know exactly what your husband means, violence, threats and abuse are part of everyday life, but I wouldn't change my job for the world............I have never moaned about my wage...............just don't think others should be saying that we don't deserve what we get.........let them come and try it for a day!!
Old Sep 26th 2003, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by kzippi
Hi There Tiredwithtwins

On the ANF site just click on the state you require at the foot of the opening page and then go to rates of pay on the left hand side..........Good luck!!
We are at the final stage, medicals and pcs have gone off, just waiting now, agent says we should hear any day.
How about you.

To ??possum (sorry can't remember)

I too currently work in one of the UK's 3 maximum security psychiatric hospitals and I know exactly what your husband means, violence, threats and abuse are part of everyday life, but I wouldn't change my job for the world............I have never moaned about my wage...............just don't think others should be saying that we don't deserve what we get.........let them come and try it for a day!!
Hi kzippi,

Couldnt agree with you more. Will you be doing the same work in Oz, and which part will you be going to?
Old Sep 26th 2003, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Hi there,

We will be going to Perth, have a job in Acutes lined up , so that should be different, but looking forward to the challenge.
I am DBT trained and would really like to bring Oz up to speed on that one and go down that route, but will just have to wait and see. Right now all I want is that magical 'go ahead' letter.

Where and when are you planning to go??

Karen
Old Sep 26th 2003, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Red face

being a bit thick there..................think you've already said that you are in NZ......been working with them too long!!!
Old Sep 26th 2003, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by kzippi
being a bit thick there..................think you've already said that you are in NZ......been working with them too long!!!
LOL..no worries..i know how you feel. We are going to Adelaide in a few weeks time. He is also going to work in acute psychiatry. Luckily i dont need to wait to get entry to Oz. Because my husband is a kiwi he is allowed automatic entry to OZ. I am ust tagging along with him and was told by immigration that he can sponsor me for residency.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by podgypossum
LOL..no worries..i know how you feel. We are going to Adelaide in a few weeks time. He is also going to work in acute psychiatry. Luckily i dont need to wait to get entry to Oz. Because my husband is a kiwi he is allowed automatic entry to OZ. I am ust tagging along with him and was told by immigration that he can sponsor me for residency.

By the way...what is DBT?? ..i know what CBT is but not heard of the other one.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

lucky you, hope you get on ok. speak to you soon. Keep up the good work!!!!
Old Sep 26th 2003, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

DBT is Dialectical behaviour therapy, still uses CBT though so similar in some ways.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

That was not the point I was making. I have never heard a mechanic moan because he gets oily, cuts his hands, gets abuse from customers and because of this he should be paid more.

We all moan about our jobs and think we are worth more.

But the post I replied to was saying we should not bemoan them (mental nurses) earning a measly $47,000 per year because they had to put up with days at work under the threat of violence, wipe faeces off walls smeared on there deliberately, listen and counsel someone who has murdered their children.

Why does that mean they should be paid more than $47,000 when many people in other profffessions have just as bad a time yet get paid far less. ? Social workers, welfare workers, councillors all the proffessions that tend to sit in the back ground.

I am not saying nurses do not do a good worthwhile job, and I sure as hell would not want to be a mental nurse coping with the above, but I chose not to go into that work.
It is a good job everyone does not hink this hard about their chosen profession otherwise there would not be many nurses etc!!

Most people go into their jobs as sweet 18 or 21 year olds and don't even think about the wages or working conditions. By the time you have trained for x number of years it is hard to get out.

Everyone deserves a decent wage and the problem for public sector workers is they rarely get any decent index linked pay rises!

Last edited by tinaj; Sep 26th 2003 at 11:15 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Most people go into their jobs as sweet 18 or 21 year olds and don't even think about the wages or working conditions. By the time you have trained for x number of years it is hard to get out.
I knew at 18 exactly what I would get paid for the job I was in, I also knew what I could expect to earn the higher I went. Anyone leaving school and enetering into Nursing, Police, etc. is pretty damn stupid if they dont know the job does not pay well. Unless of course they are unable to read and have no TV.
Everone enjoys a decent wage and the problem for public sector workers is they rarely get any decent index linked pay rises!
Not everyone enjoys a decent wage also a lot of workers get no pay rises at all.

Last edited by karawara88; Sep 26th 2003 at 11:05 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

I knew at 18 exactly what I would get paid for the job I was in, I also knew what I could expect to earn the higher I went. Anyone leaving school and enetering into Nursing, Police, etc. is pretty damn stupid if they dont know the job does not pay well. Unless of course they are unable to read and have no TV. Not everyone enjoys a decent wage also a lot of workers get no pay rises at all.
I think society has to be thankful that not everyone shares your attitude Kawa...otherwise you, your family and everyone else would be in dire straits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.