Reload this Page >

Nurse on Temp 457 visa needs advice

Nurse on Temp 457 visa needs advice

Old Aug 12th 2006, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

neil&momo is on a distinguished road
Default Nurse on Temp 457 visa needs advice

Hi all,
Hope someone can help my friend is on a 457 Temp visa sponsored by agency in Brisbane. They have sent her a letter saying that November to April is quiet time and she must be prepared to travel upto 3 hours to get work as part of visa requirements or move anywhere except Sydney!!
Is this right? Can they do this? She has a rental house so obviously if she has to move she would have to lose her bond or at least some money till they get more tenants in etc.
They have sent a paper to sign, I said don't sign it, they said she should have done it before leaving UK, but she never had anything saying this!! She's 44 with a 17 year old daughter, we are the only people they know here as yet so don't really want to move!
If anyone can give advise it would be much appreciated.
thanks in advance
Marie and Bernie
Old Aug 12th 2006, 7:58 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nurse on Temp 457 visa needs advice

Originally Posted by neil&momo
Hi all,
Hope someone can help my friend is on a 457 Temp visa sponsored by agency in Brisbane. They have sent her a letter saying that November to April is quiet time and she must be prepared to travel upto 3 hours to get work as part of visa requirements or move anywhere except Sydney!!
Is this right? Can they do this? She has a rental house so obviously if she has to move she would have to lose her bond or at least some money till they get more tenants in etc.
They have sent a paper to sign, I said don't sign it, they said she should have done it before leaving UK, but she never had anything saying this!! She's 44 with a 17 year old daughter, we are the only people they know here as yet so don't really want to move!
thanks in advance
Marie and Bernie
She could apply to a local hospital and see if they would employ her and take over her 457 visa or, even better sponsor her for PR (she is still just young enough).

Don't know about the legalities of the agencies requirements but this is another example of why Nurses should avoid agencies....and temporary visas.

G
Old Aug 12th 2006, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Grayling
She could apply to a local hospital and see if they would employ her and take over her 457 visa or, even better sponsor her for PR (she is still just young enough).

Don't know about the legalities of the agencies requirements but this is another example of why Nurses should avoid agencies....and temporary visas.

G
Thanks Grayling,
Do you know if she would have to pay the sponsorship money back if she got PR visa? They told her if she left before 12months she would have to pay them sponsorship money back! She is going to get her PR visa in before she turns 45.
Thanks Marie
Old Aug 12th 2006, 9:22 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Grayling,
Do you know if she would have to pay the sponsorship money back if she got PR visa? They told her if she left before 12months she would have to pay them sponsorship money back! She is going to get her PR visa in before she turns 45.
Thanks Marie

Its down to the company but whether or not she is PR is irrelevant. They will want her to pay back the money if she leaves the company during the first 12 months - whether that be through another company sponsoring her or through her obtaining her PR on her own.

HTH
Old Aug 12th 2006, 9:33 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
Its down to the company but whether or not she is PR is irrelevant. They will want her to pay back the money if she leaves the company during the first 12 months - whether that be through another company sponsoring her or through her obtaining her PR on her own.

HTH
The reason having PR would be helpful is because if she loses her sponsorship on a 457 she would have to leave the country which would also create a lot of hassle and expense. She would also have time to challenge the agency (if she chooses) without fear of being deported. It would also allow her to work for whoever she chooses during the process.

Being kicked out, or not, may be more important to her than repaying expenses.

This should act as a warning to anyone contemplating a 457 visa especially considering the hassle a lot of other posters on here have had in the past.

G
Old Aug 12th 2006, 10:13 am

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

The reason having PR would be helpful is because if she loses her sponsorship on a 457 she would have to leave the country which would also create a lot of hassle and expense. She would also have time to challenge the agency (if she chooses) without fear of being deported. It would also allow her to work for whoever she chooses during the process.

Being kicked out, or not, may be more important to her than repaying expenses.

This should act as a warning to anyone contemplating a 457 visa especially considering the hassle a lot of other posters on here have had in the past.

G

I completely agree. I was just trying to hi-light to the OP thats its not the PR which would cause the fees to be paid - its leaving the company.

We've just got our PR after being here on a 457 and its a big relief I can tell you!
Old Aug 12th 2006, 10:21 am
Bitter and twisted

We've just got our PR after being here on a 457 and its a big relief I can tell you!
I didn't recognise you

Changing names confuses old buggers like me

Congrats on your PR

One or two nursing agencies try to pull a fast one and the person in question may have grounds for action if things were not done properly...this has happened in the past.

G
Old Aug 12th 2006, 10:24 am

I didn't recognise you

Changing names confuses old buggers like me

Congrats on your PR

One or two nursing agencies try to pull a fast one and the person in question may have grounds for action if things were not done properly...this has happened in the past.

G

Sorry G! Keep forgetting I changed my name!

CasG had a bit of a sh!t time when she was on a 457 didnt she - we've been quite lucky but I would never come over with an Agency on a 457 - too risky IMO!

Thanks for the congrats!
Old Aug 12th 2006, 10:29 am
Bitter and twisted

Sorry G! Keep forgetting I changed my name!

CasG had a bit of a sh!t time when she was on a 457 didnt she - we've been quite lucky but I would never come over with an Agency on a 457 - too risky IMO!

Thanks for the congrats!
Yes she did.

Glittababe also had a very bad time with an agency in Brisbane....wonder if it is the same one

G
Old Aug 12th 2006, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

amanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi all,
thanks in advance
Marie and Bernie
On the 457 visa she can only work for who sponsored her to move. If someone else were to offer her a job, she would have to apply for a whole new 457 visa...HOWEVER...on the good side, the government will give her a bridging visa so she can stay until her second visa is approved.

Unfortunately legal rights for 457 visa holders seem quite grim, but I know nurses are in demand, so if she can find a new sponsor, she could stay where she is and just apply for a new 457 with a bridge....
Old Aug 12th 2006, 2:09 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

She ought to get some urgent professional advice. Why on earth is she on a temporary 457 visa in the first place, there's absolutely no reason for nurses to consider this visa.

She needs to sort out a permanent residence application before she turns 45. After that it gets harder - not impossible, but harder.

Her daughter is also a complicating factor. Once she turns 18 (including if she turns 18 during visa processing) then she will need to prove she's dependent on her mother. If she's not in full time education this will be a problem. And full time tertiary education for temporary residents is expensive.

Lots of people have hassles with the 457 visa, she's only the latest case. The immigration forum is a good place to ask for referrals to competent immigration advisors.
Old Aug 12th 2006, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice everyone. She is going to see a visa consultant on the coast. She needs to get the PR in by November!! Her daughter is 18 next year so hopefully she should get it sorted by then!! But she'll have to get her ass into gear!
Thanks again
Marie
Old Aug 12th 2006, 11:52 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. She is going to see a visa consultant on the coast. She needs to get the PR in by November!! Her daughter is 18 next year so hopefully she should get it sorted by then!! But she'll have to get her ass into gear!
Thanks again
Marie

Good luck to her. We've just been successful in our application for our PR (orginially here on 457) and used www.southerncrossalliance.com.au. They're based in Sydney but that wont make a difference really. My agents name was Tien. She was very quick and very very efficient.

HTH