Reload this Page >

Nurse employment

Wikiposts

Nurse employment

Old Mar 21st 2005, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

coxdebra will become famous soon enough
Default Nurse employment

Hi, any nurses out there who can advise?

Have a positive skills assessment just about to go for the main visa -136 STNI

Any advice about finding a job - any one working in Aus as a nurse and can give advice about private vs public, community vs hospital?? All advice welcome
Old Mar 21st 2005, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

neil&momo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nurse employment

Originally Posted by coxdebra

Any advice about finding a job - any one working in Aus as a nurse and can give advice about private vs public, community vs hospital?? All advice welcome
Hi, welcome to expats,
have you checked out the nurses forum?
Do a search on there, loads of stuff will come out I'm sure.
Good Luck
Marie
Old Mar 21st 2005, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

coxdebra will become famous soon enough

Thanx for that I have posted on there too.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

Hi, you will have no problem finding a job as a nurse. I am a midwife and am finding if easy enough. However, if I was a nurse (I am direct entry) I would be able to pick and choose. There are loads of adverts every week in the local paper, from hospital to community, public to private. There are also lots of adverts for agencies. Although I can't see the point when you can apply direct. Can't advise about public vs private. I have applied to both and plan to get a casual contract for both to suss them out.
Rachel
Old Mar 21st 2005, 9:15 am
So Happy We could Dance

rob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by RReed
Hi, you will have no problem finding a job as a nurse. I am a midwife and am finding if easy enough. However, if I was a nurse (I am direct entry) I would be able to pick and choose. There are loads of adverts every week in the local paper, from hospital to community, public to private. There are also lots of adverts for agencies. Although I can't see the point when you can apply direct. Can't advise about public vs private. I have applied to both and plan to get a casual contract for both to suss them out.
Rachel
Am a nurse and a midwife. I have said it on another thread that i loathe working in the private system here and will never do it again. I have the oddest tendency to put the womans care before the pay packet of a doctor for delivering a baby which gets me into all end of trouble I love working in the public system. To me they are better monitored from a practice point of view and if you need a doctor you don't have to call him away from a golf match, yes i do have a very small axe to grind. check out www.seek.com.au and you will find loads of jobs. Also apply direct to the hospitals even if it means working as a casual midwife until you get a permanent contract.
Lucy
Old Mar 21st 2005, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by neil&momo
Hi, welcome to expats,
have you checked out the nurses forum?
Do a search on there, loads of stuff will come out I'm sure.
Good Luck
Marie
Nurses forum? Sounds interesting! Where can I find it please?
Thanks.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rob&lucy
Am a nurse and a midwife. I have said it on another thread that i loathe working in the private system here and will never do it again. I have the oddest tendency to put the womans care before the pay packet of a doctor for delivering a baby which gets me into all end of trouble I love working in the public system. To me they are better monitored from a practice point of view and if you need a doctor you don't have to call him away from a golf match, yes i do have a very small axe to grind. check out www.seek.com.au and you will find loads of jobs. Also apply direct to the hospitals even if it means working as a casual midwife until you get a permanent contract.
Lucy
I agree with you about the private sector. That is why I am also planning to get a casual contract at a public hospital. The private birth centre I have joined was set up initially by a home birth midwife and her 'back up' doctor. The birth centre is very woman-centred with lots of waterbirths, vaginal breech and little intervention. BUT the doctor has to be at least near by for the birth. This is my only reservation, being used to attending births alone (not even a second midwife). It will be strange to have a doctor walk in at the end to catch the baby.
Rachel
Old Mar 21st 2005, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

jaruky is an unknown quantity at this point

You wont have a problem getting a job that suits.
I got a job in the same line of work (haematology) within 3 weeks of landing (November), and told them i didn't want to start 'til the kids went to school (January) - no problem. Hubby has got a full time job by then so now i've gone PT with this job and walked straight into another (rang Thursday, Interview Friday, induction monday, first shift this weekend if i want it - which i don't!) as casual so i can spend more time with the kids and let work take a bit of a back seat - tey need us more than you need them.
Jaruky
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Robbo2
Nurses forum? Sounds interesting! Where can I find it please?
Thanks.
Where can I find this nurses forum guys?
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 8:29 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I tried to give you the link to it the other day but could no longer find it....thought it must be scrapped.

But just found it hidden under "working abroad by profession"

http://www.britishexpats.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=72
Old Mar 26th 2005, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

neil&momo is on a distinguished road

Hi
Just click on the forum jump at end of these replies and click on Nurses forum. Hope this is clear!!!!!
Good luck
Marie
Old Mar 26th 2005, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil&momo
Hi
Just click on the forum jump at end of these replies and click on Nurses forum. Hope this is clear!!!!!
Good luck
Marie
Whatever you do don't go with Oxley Nursing Services. Try to go through the qld hospitals X
Old Mar 26th 2005, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Aus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really nice

Nursing times & Nursing standard have adverts for employers in the international employment section. This can offer agency work or a fixed contract. It means that you can secure a post before you arrive in Australia. The interview is usually over the phone, although some have recruitment days here in the uk which gives you more of a chance to meet them.

Good luck

Roni
Old Mar 26th 2005, 10:36 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

A 136 visa is skilled independent. A 137 visa is STNI.

If you are going 137 (STNI), which state are you planning to live in?, as you are expected to live there for 2 years.

Jeremy