Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

leaving Sheffield to Brisbane in 6 weeks! any advice?

leaving Sheffield to Brisbane in 6 weeks! any advice?

Old Mar 26th 2005, 10:09 am
Just Joined

axl rose is on a distinguished road
Default leaving Sheffield to Brisbane in 6 weeks! any advice?

I have just been offered a job in Brisbane and they want me there by mid June.
The financial package seems attractive - it's just come as a big shock to the system.

I stumbled across this website and was amazed how helpful everyone appears to be. I will no doubt be spending hours looking through others peoples threads.

I thought I would start my own however simply to ask if there is any useful advice you have, as currently our heads are in a spin.

Going over on an employer sponsored 457 visa with my wife. Currently our intention is to be there for 2 years (my contract states minimum of 2 years otherwise I have to refund certain costs).

Thanks in advance!

Old Mar 26th 2005, 10:15 am
stuck in twilight

pike is on a distinguished road
Default Re: leaving Sheffield to Brisbane in 6 weeks! any advice?

Yeh! Take me with you

Are you going on a company transfer or is it a just a job you applied for .
sorry can,t help you but have a great time
Old Mar 26th 2005, 10:24 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by axl rose
The financial package seems attractive - it's just come as a big shock to the system.

I stumbled across this website and was amazed how helpful everyone appears to be. I will no doubt be spending hours looking through others peoples threads.

I thought I would start my own however simply to ask if there is any useful advice you have, as currently our heads are in a spin.

Going over on an employer sponsored 457 visa with my wife. Currently our intention is to be there for 2 years (my contract states minimum of 2 years otherwise I have to refund certain costs).

Thanks in advance!

Be prepared for muggy humid hot weather, even in winter its not that cold there.Also be prepared for heavy rainy periods. You may find you want to pack an extra shirt or two to take with you to work each day during the hotter months, and some anti perspirant. Also be prepared for flying cockroaches and huntsmen spiders(they not killers though, but maybe some of the snakes in outer suburbs might be, as they are in Perth) Check the thread on "what you need to know emmigrating to australia" for more details. It's currently on page one I think and has a 5 star rating.

Aside from that, enjoy Brisbane. I found the locals reasonably friendly there.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

Going over on an employer sponsored 457 visa with my wife.
How about asking if they would be willing to apply for 'Employer Nominated PR'. I managed to get my employer to do this and became a PR from day 1. The application process is only a month or two longer than a temp. They sorted it all out and got the job confirmed. My part of the app only took 2 weeks for oz house to process.

However, I did have to sign a 3 year contract comitting to paying back all expenses that they incurred on a pro rata basis should I leave before the end of the contract. (Quite a lot including 2 flights, initial accomadation and container).

You'll have to go to the leadmill to celebrate no doubt!

Good Luck!

Jason
Old Mar 26th 2005, 10:30 am
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future

Thanks in advance!

hiya
we are from wakey and have been out here in brisbane bayside since sept.
we love it it's fab,just come with an open mind and you will be fine,the weather has been beautiful although now it's autumn it's starting to get nippy can you believe it i am complaining that it's nippy at 22/23 degress ha ha.
any info needed then please pm us it's no probs

Leanne & Darren
Old Mar 26th 2005, 10:43 am
Just Joined

I am absolutely blown away by everyones kindness!!

Within minutes, so many people have bothered to reply, thank you one and all.

It makes it much less daunting when you hear stories like those from Leanne and Darren who lived a few miles up the road and have moved to Brisbane. (Myself or my wife may well take you up on your kind offer of PMing you).

As for the 'Employer Nominated PR' I am not sure (at this stage) whether this is something either we or my employer would want. It is scary enough thinking we are going to be there for 2 years without thinking we may never come back)

Thank you very much Kiwichild for your comments re flying cockroaches and huntsmen spiders. My wife is now terrified!

We look forward to getting to know you better over the coming weeks

Andrew & Clare
Old Mar 26th 2005, 10:44 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by leannefr
the weather has been beautiful although now it's autumn it's starting to get nippy can you believe it i am complaining that it's nippy at 22/23 degress ha ha.
They've even started selling the room and the patio heaters in the shops again Some parts of North & West Brisbane got hit with hail today, but it's been nice out east

Good luck with everything, axl rose.

Old Mar 26th 2005, 10:52 am
ABCDiamond

comments re flying cockroaches and huntsmen spiders. My wife is now terrified!
It must depend on the area you live in, i still haven't seen a Huntsman spider, and i've been here 14 years now !! I also found the cockroaches were worse down in Sydney

Old Mar 26th 2005, 11:20 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much Kiwichild for your comments re flying cockroaches and huntsmen spiders. My wife is now terrified!
Andrew & Clare
Hey Andrew and Clare, forewarned is forearmed and all that sort of thing. Better to let you know whats there now than for you to suddenly and unexpected have it thrust upon you as happened to me when I was in Brisbane

Just rememebr : even though the huntsman can be big as a side(bread and butter plate) and looks like a furry land crab, and has eight eyes (two rows of four) its basically harmless but fair scares the shit out of anyone when they first see one.

Whats that famous boys scouts motto?: be prepared or somethign like that
Old Mar 26th 2005, 11:23 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Whats that famous boys scouts motto?: be prepared or somethign like that
"Be Prepared" is the one

Here's a link to a load of Spider information:
http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheets/#spiders

Old Mar 26th 2005, 11:27 am
Banned

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
"Be Prepared" is the one
Indeed, ABCDiamond, Indeed.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 11:38 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Indeed, ABCDiamond, Indeed.
I just noticed your "Leia" avatar, and here's me sitting watching Star Wars - Return of the Jedi right now

Old Mar 26th 2005, 11:43 am
Banned

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I just noticed your "Leia" avatar, and here's me sitting watching Star Wars - Return of the Jedi right now
LOL. I have all the star wars collection, Just waiting for the "Revenge of the Siths" episode. Now the whole series is sort of understood, we can see that really it is about annakin skywalkers/darth vaders life and times. A very "christian" message really about good and evil and forgiveness, compassion, repentence, etc.

I just love annakin/darth vader. The struggles life brings him are so like real life and he is so very human ( the resentment, wanting to hit back thing, blaming himself for the deaths of the women he loved.). Was very glad he found himself and his good side in the end, but then what do you expect from a female LOL
Old Mar 26th 2005, 11:56 am
Just Joined

I'm glad you've stopped talking about spiders!

There must be more to Australia, surely.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 12:01 pm
Banned

I'm glad you've stopped talking about spiders!

There must be more to Australia, surely.
LOL there is but you did want advice originally didn't you? And much better you got the lowdown here and now before you arrived.

A trip to gold coast and sunshine coast and noosa are a must for anyone going to qsld but also be prepared that they have become sort of tourist traps.

I really liked coolangatta for some reason, but can't think what that was now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.