Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

nurse considering oz move- any suggestions???

nurse considering oz move- any suggestions???

Old Feb 22nd 2007, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

chatterboxmoira has a spectacular aura aboutchatterboxmoira has a spectacular aura aboutchatterboxmoira has a spectacular aura about
Default nurse considering oz move- any suggestions???

Hi,
I am a british nurse currently living and working in Rep of Ireland. I moved here with my husband 3 years ago because I could not afford to buy a house in the UK. I now own a house in rural Ireland and work for the Irish health service. My husband has been off work for 18 months with a slipped disc and is currently awaiting surgery). Due to delays in the British system he has received no sick pay in all this time. I earn enough that this doesn't matter. We have enough to pay the mortgage, all bills and still have money left over (with planning) for going out weekly and an annual holiday.

We have considered moving to Oz for some time, but I need to know that our standard of living would be comparable before contacting one of the many agencies. We plan to move out on a two or four year contract and seeing how we like australia, with the view to applying for immigration in the future.

Does anyone know if

a- we can buy property (or even get a mortgage) on a two or four year contract?
b- can we claim disability for my husband if he is deemed unable to work?
c- would he be allowed to move to Australia?
d- MOST IMPORTANT- can I earn enough (as a theatre nurse) to support us both.

I look forward to hearing your replies.
Many thanks
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nurse considering oz move- any suggestions???

Originally Posted by chatterboxmoira
Hi,
I am a british nurse currently living and working in Rep of Ireland. I moved here with my husband 3 years ago because I could not afford to buy a house in the UK. I now own a house in rural Ireland and work for the Irish health service. My husband has been off work for 18 months with a slipped disc and is currently awaiting surgery). Due to delays in the British system he has received no sick pay in all this time. I earn enough that this doesn't matter. We have enough to pay the mortgage, all bills and still have money left over (with planning) for going out weekly and an annual holiday.

We have considered moving to Oz for some time, but I need to know that our standard of living would be comparable before contacting one of the many agencies. We plan to move out on a two or four year contract and seeing how we like australia, with the view to applying for immigration in the future.

Does anyone know if

a- we can buy property (or even get a mortgage) on a two or four year contract?
b- can we claim disability for my husband if he is deemed unable to work?
c- would he be allowed to move to Australia?
d- MOST IMPORTANT- can I earn enough (as a theatre nurse) to support us both.

I look forward to hearing your replies.
Many thanks

A- You need approval from the government to buy a house if you are on a temp visa.

B- No

C- It depends on how much your hubby would cost the Aus government. You'd be best using an agent who deals with medical issues, they'll tell you if you have a chance or not

D - Sorry, I've got no idea. It depends on what you want, if you expect lots then you'll probably be disappointed.