Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NSW Wollongong Area..... Need advice PLEASE :)

Wikiposts

NSW Wollongong Area..... Need advice PLEASE :)

Old Sep 7th 2008, 11:08 pm
LHD
Just Joined

LHD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NSW Wollongong Area..... Need advice PLEASE :)

Hi, this is my first time posting I have so much going around my head, loads of questions, concerns..... I'm a bit of a mental mess actually lol..... Hoping for some help from those in the know.
This will probably be long, so sorry!

My husband and I have been talking about the prospect of moving to Australia for the past 6 years or so, but have never looked into it due to the normal things.... moving from family etc.

Recently I have made a new friend who is from Corrimal, Wollongong. She is here (UK) for the next few years with her husbands work.
She speaks so well of the Wollongong area.... great for families, schools, active lifestyle etc.... The kind of things that every mum wants for her kids upbringing and future. I have two boys aged 4 and 8 yrs.

So it prompted me to start looking into things, trying to decide if it would be better for the boys, check out our options and see if a move to Australia was even a realistic possibility for our family.

My husband and I think that it is worth looking into some more, so we are booked to attend Australian Expo '08 in London next month, which I think is mainly geared around recruitment and migration.

I want to check with you guys who live in that area what you think.... your expat perception of the area might be very different to someone who was born there - if you know what I mean.

So far I have been told that the schools are brilliant. Wollongong has the best Uni in Aus.
Weather is great.... No destructive weather like cyclones.... do get some crazy loud storms and very heavy rain at times tho.
Life style is great. Kids are encouraged to be active in sports. Beaches are safe, life guarded and clean. Lovely parks. Close to good shopping.
Bugs (ie spiders) aren't an issue... except flies and mozzies are a pain.
Not likely to bump into a croc on the beach.... I am such a brit lol.

My husband is a Gas Fitter, which is on 'the list' so it would be him that applies.... We are just worried that there will be no gas work for him in NSW. ......Now I am hoping that someone here will say ' I live in Wollongong and my husband is a gas fitter too... there is lots of work' Lol

I am a Beautician, Nail Technician and Educator in Nail Services. None of these skills are on 'the list' so although I am pretty sure I could pick up work easily if we moved over, I can't be the applicant.

It would also be worth knowing what skills really are in demand in the area if anyone knows.

Blimey, I think I had better stop now!........ still have a million questions

Thanks for taking the time to read, I hope you can help
Old Sep 7th 2008, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

The Coulsons will become famous soon enoughThe Coulsons will become famous soon enough
Default Re: NSW Wollongong Area..... Need advice PLEASE :)

Hi
Welcome!
I can't answer all your questions but woolongong is one of our first choices of places to go,( i am also a beauty therapist) my brother who lives near this area rates it very highly and would agree with all the points you mentioned in your post lifestyle etc.
I would look at www.seek.com.au to see what jobs are available and i have been told it is within commuter distance of some parts of sydney.

Also try a search on the Australia part of the forum as i think there are some posters from woolongong on there.

Debbie
Old Sep 7th 2008, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

The Coulsons will become famous soon enoughThe Coulsons will become famous soon enough

Sorry just realised you are in the Australian forum
Old Sep 7th 2008, 11:42 pm
LHD
Just Joined

Thanks
Old Sep 8th 2008, 9:45 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

When we visited Sydney we stayed with friends who live on Corrimal Street in Woollongong. Small world eh? And we live in Surrey too!
I can't tell you anything about living there - sorry - but it seems a really nice place to live. Very friendly, a couple of blocks from the beach and about 75 minute train ride into Sydney CBD.
Good Luck. I hope you get to find out for yourselves what it's like

Julie. x
Old Sep 8th 2008, 10:57 am
to be or not to be...

bluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura about

LHD, Hi, I live in Wollongong cbd Market st, and love it here. There are many good areas to live around the area.Thirroul,Bulli, Corrimal,Figtree. You would be spoilt for choice really. It is very clean, and I believe the schools are very good. I am not sure about the job but ATS have a website and they may have some ideas. This is a great area and not far from Sydney either and the train fare is very reasonable $22.00 return approx. This area is a very good choice, love it!
Old Sep 8th 2008, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

carzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud of

I live in Woonona, the next village to the north of Corrimal. It's everything you said in your first post and everything we hoped for when we came to Oz. My kid is 7, loves the school, friendly people, 20 min walk to the beach, beautiful place, my hubby commutes daily to Campbelltown. My only problem is not being able to find part time work for various reasons but there are plenty of beauty saloons around so probably easier for you than for me, hubby not a gas fitter so don't know about that.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

I work in Sydney, but live in Figtree and i could not think i a better okace to be than the gong.

You have a city centre that is not overcrowded and 10 mins away
You have the bush 5 mins away
You have the beach 5mins away

Its cheaper than Sydney
Lots of places to eat out or get a takeaway.

Theres not one thing i can think of to speak badly of the place

Stu
Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:16 pm
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

We are in Thirroul, about 15 mins north of Wollongong. We are perfectly happy here, son is happy, plenty to do and plenty to take your mind off family being so far away.

I am not sure about the work situation for a gas fitter. I got a job failry quickly, but then, I'm an accountant and we seem to be a necessary evil wherever you are!! Plenty of beauty salons, so you may be OK with work.

I am sure there are some negatives about the place, just cant think of them at the moment, so they cant be that bad.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 9:51 pm
LHD
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for your input so far.... really encouraging, which I have to say is a relief.

Are you guys there for good? Or just a few years?
Old Sep 8th 2008, 11:01 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya and welcome to the forum!

My brother and SIL live in Corrimal and we certainly liked it very much when we were over last year. It’s very small and quiet but has all you’d need on a daily basis in terms of supermarkets, chemists, takeaways etc. Wollongong itself is only 15 mins by train (as far as I recall) and the shopping there was good and it’s under an hour into the centre of Sydney (passing the most glorious scenery ever on the train while you’re going!!)

The beach was about 10 minutes from my bros house, train station about 15 minutes and the trains are FAIRLY regular to Sydney and The Gong. My SIL actually works at the Uni and likes it a lot. There were quite a few places for us to visit in the surrounding area and the train links definitely make it easier.

Good luck with your decision!

Thérèse
Old Sep 9th 2008, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

carzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by LHD
Thanks everyone for your input so far.... really encouraging, which I have to say is a relief.

Are you guys there for good? Or just a few years?
We have a 457 and been here 5 months so far, expect to spend the remaining time here in Woonona as like it a lot and kid is very settled at school. Weather is hotting up and soon we'll be at the beach every weekend and probably after school too, yipee, can't wait!
Old Sep 9th 2008, 11:11 pm
LHD
Just Joined

I am finding this so hard.
We have a wonderful life here.... live in a brilliant area, good schools, lovely house, lovely friends. We are a happy little family.
We don't own a property and where we live we will never be able to.... flats here are about £300k! But we are content with our life - owning a property isn't the be all and end all.

I honestly think that unless we suddenly became rich, our life is as good as it could be in the UK.... more dosh would just improve lifestyle - more time together, kids could join sport clubs and be more active etc (all things life in the gong would offer!).
But leaving here would be a 'no going back' situation for us. Something we have done many times before, but only within England .... only difference this time is our life is the best it's been and is likely to get over here.

The reason we are seriously considering this is that my husband and I are worried about the future - When our sons are grown (in 8+ yrs) .... We can't see a decent future for them here in the UK.

I'm not used to worrying. If I think something isn't right, I change it. I always go with my gut, my gut has so far always been right - and I've had to make some pretty hard choices so far.... Choices that have been very unpopular with the extended family.

My gut tells me this is the right thing for 'my' family..... but everything else says it's really wrong!
We already live 2 1/2 hrs from any family... not quite 24hrs lol, but we are used to not seeing them very often.
Our families aren't well off, so we know that the prospect of yearly visits is not likely..... so we would effectively be saying bye bye to the family.
If anyone became sick, had a baby etc, I can't imagine we would be able to pop back here.

My family think that it is important that my sons live near their grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, to ensure a good life........ I don't.
I never had extended family when I was a kid, my mum dad and siblings were all had and all I needed.
I think that they should be in a location that offers them the best and so long as that is backed up by a secure home life, they will be happy. I was. So were my brother and sister.

I would miss my family.... we are close.... but my gut says to do what I think is best for the boys. Me and Stuart would be happy wherever we were, as long as we have each other, the boys and a job we are cool!

I know I sound like I am panicing.... I probably am. There is a reason though.
Next month we are going to the aus expo in London. There will be prospective employers there... what if my husband was offered work?....... Not likely I know, but what if?
My husband is 100% in wanting to go.... I am too... and then I panic lol.
My family would be devastated. It would break my mum's heart.
I am finding it tough.

Lol - I must sound like a maniac

Last edited by LHD; Sep 9th 2008 at 11:14 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

You sound so unsure of what you want to do.

We are already here and still unsure if we can stay LOL We think we will apply for permanant residency even if we decide to go back because that way we will always be able to come back to Oz later on.

It cost a lot to be here and it would cost the same again to go back and once my hubby has established himself for four years here at work would we want to go back to a potentially lesser job back home?. However it is do-able so being here isn't irreversible. Does it have to be a no going back situation for you?

When we first came I was almost overwhelmed by the anxiety of such an uncertain future but I told myself that even if this was just a four year adventure in Oz that used up our savings so be it, it's a great adventure and worth having and I found that was a manageable way of looking at it, much less daunting than trying to decide for the rest of my life.

Why not go to the expo, see if you can get a job offer and then worry about whether to come or not. Getting or not getting an offer might help you make up your mind how badly you want this.