Reload this Page >

NSW teachers, please help!

NSW teachers, please help!

Old Sep 6th 2018, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

JKLSYD18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NSW teachers, please help!

Hello,

Hoping somebody can help! We move to Sydney on our PR in December. I'm hoping to start teaching at the end of January so really want all my documentation in place. I know I can't get WWCC or NESA reg until I'm on the ground, which is fine. I have all my documents ready to have certified when we arrive etc.

My first concern is proof of address. When we first arrive we'll be in airbnb, I'm not sure if I can register whilst not in actual in rented accommodation?

Second is ID. For the WWCC I need to prove identity at NSW Services or RMS. There are two lists of ID, and you need an item from both. List 1 is fine but list 2 appears to be quite NSW specific (NSW driving license or medicare card etc) which I won't have at first. It does however also day a bank card, does anyone know if this can be a UK card? It seems to mainly be for proof of signature.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

K
Old Sep 6th 2018, 9:19 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NSW teachers, please help!

You will just be arriving just as most of the NSW Education department schools shut down for six weeks, so that should give you plenty of time to get your driving license and Medicare sorted out. For an address, you could rent a mailbox in an area close to where you want to live. There are plenty of privately and Aus Post operated services for temporary postal addresses. ( Some private ones you would not even know was a PO box )

Good luck with the move, remember to have fun and not stress too much.
Old Sep 6th 2018, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

You are arriving at the busiest time of year for Department HR and registrations, because this is when the hundreds of new graduate teachers you will be competing with for limited positions, have just finished their qualifications and also get their information and accreditations processed. It creates a very large backlog.

You can use an airbnb on arrival as the address. In most places you just need the receipt that shows you applied for a WWCC, not a finished WWCC. They can take a few weeks to process.

Do you already have a position? If not - I would temper your expectations that you're just going to walk into a position over the summer in time for the first day of school. Teaching jobs don't grow on trees in Australia, especially in the capital cities.

If you do already have a position - they should be able to assist you with the process.
Old Sep 6th 2018, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

JKLSYD18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, I hadn't considered the busy time of year with regards to registration. Good to know about airbnb address being accepted.

Luckily, I have done some research and realise jobs don't grow on trees. Do they do that anywhere nowadays? I have some interviews next week so fingers crossed.

Thanks again
K
Old Feb 9th 2019, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

Catjellycat is an unknown quantity at this point

How did your interviews go? I'm at the beginning sage of thinking about teaching in NSW. I've been in education in the UK for 15 years now and am an advisory teacher for the Local Authority but have no idea if I'd have to start from the bottom of the scale again in Australia. Just wondering how you found it?
Old Feb 10th 2019, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Two different questions you are asking. In terms of pay, comparable international experience is accepted and I doubt you will have trouble getting UK experience accepted in New South Wales for salary purposes. Clear information on what documents to submit is on-line. In terms of a position, very likely you will have to start over as a classroom teacher (if you get a position - international experience won't help you very much with that). You should expect stiff competition and a rough road to get your first teaching position.
Old Feb 10th 2019, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Catjellycat is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for your reply - much appreciated! I wasn't very clear as my question was more about role than pay. Can I ask a bit further - are there other areas in which competition is not so tough? I have no objections to starting back in the class but I'd like to be able to get a job! I have experience in Special Education as that can be a different job market over here so I don't know if the same is true in Australia.
Old Feb 11th 2019, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

If you have special Ed qualifications you might stand a slightly better chance but you've a few things going against you - one is that there is an oversupply of teachers in places like Sydney where everybody wants to live and if you ever hope to get a permanent job in nice NSW you have to do several years of on places like Dubbo or Wagga or an inner city school from hell - do your time in the harder to fill regions which aren't most migrants perfect picture of Australia. Also with lots of years experience you are going to be towards the top of the pay scale and schools like to economise where they can with newer graduates - they get more bang for their buck. Think about changing careers, you've probably got skills that would translate into other venues.
Old Feb 11th 2019, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think it is unrealistic to expect an advisory or leadership position straight off the plane. You should aim for classroom teacher, and be prepared to do relief for a while if/when that doesn't happen right away, for the reasons quoll mentioned.