NSW South Coast

Old Dec 16th 2009, 12:36 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default NSW South Coast

My family and I will be in Australia in March/April. We're planning on spending 3 or 4 days at the coast in the Batemans Bay area (chosen only because it's where the road from Canberra meets the sea). Can anyone recommend any good holiday accommodation that's near to the beach?
Old Dec 17th 2009, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: NSW South Coast

Originally Posted by paulry
My family and I will be in Australia in March/April. We're planning on spending 3 or 4 days at the coast in the Batemans Bay area (chosen only because it's where the road from Canberra meets the sea). Can anyone recommend any good holiday accommodation that's near to the beach?
Sorry can't help as haven't been there, but have a look on all the hotel/motel websites, many of them have reviews on. Before we came over I used to look at the write ups on expedia.

Have a great time, wherever you stay.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 10:11 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

Okay, this is seriously a bad time to ask me, because we’ve had a dinner thing, and combined with wine and 38 degrees in Canberra, I’m not thinking so well.

I’ve been visiting that area since I was a baby, and we’re actually heading there for Christmas. Be warned, Bateman’s Bay itself doesn’t have a beach. It serves as the town centre for the beaches in the region, and so long as you have a car – or are willing to put up with the sporadic bus service – you could stay anywhere within 30-40 minutes of the town and be happy.

Is your time really limited to a few days, or can you be flexible? A lot of people – Canberrans, in particular – own holiday houses in the region and rent them out for most of the year. I would have trouble giving you accommodation recommendations because we usually rent a beach house for a week. The standard rental time seems to be a week.

Areas I would look at, however, are Malua Bay and Broulee. There is holiday accommodation around there – type either area’s name into a search engine and you will find accommodation by the beach.

Broulee is a huge beach with national park areas around it. The beach has a kind of river thingy running off it on one side where the water is shallow – ideal for families and picnics. It is also the home of a surf school further down. It’s a really versatile place. There are some basic food places and shops nearby.

Malua Bay and the surrounding area are made up of smaller beaches, but with lots of variety. There are enough restaurants and shops in the area to make your stay comfortable.

Both places have bus stops to take you up and down the coast (including to Bateman’s Bay) and also to Canberra.

Not far from Bateman’s Bay is Pebbly Beach – kind of an icon for the region. You have to drive through the forest to get there, but there is basic camping on the site. You can go for a morning or afternoon from Bateman’s Bay – it’s really not far. The beach is famous because of the wildlife. There are hundreds of brightly-coloured native birds just off from the parking area – it’s a big tourist attraction. And then when you get to the beach there are wild kangaroos that live there. We always take overseas visitors to this beach.

As I said, Bateman’s Bay doesn’t have a beach of its own – just a marina. But they have plenty of accommodation and some good restaurants. There is also a pub connected to one of the big hotels where you can see pelicans and sometimes dolphins from the veranda. With a car it is only a few minutes to any of the beaches in the area.

But keep in mind that the South Coast is not always hot. It might be forty degrees in Canberra, but only twenty at the coast. Autumn can be unpredictable, so be prepared for any weather. Mind you, I’m typing this on a day when Bateman’s Bay was 42 degrees!!
Old Dec 17th 2009, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

BertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond repute

OH works in Bateman's Bay. A couple of his work colleagues that travel from Canberra have stayed here http://www.baybreezemotel.com.au/boutique-rooms.html. If you don't mind a 45 min drive further north try Mollymook - fab beaches for surfing http://www.southcoast.com.au/mollymook/index.html. We had great weather March/April this year - warm enough for the beach and swimming. If you need any other info let me know
Old Dec 18th 2009, 7:15 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for your suggestions. It looks like a great part of the coast. The surf school at Broulee looks promising. The kids would love that

I'll have to take a deeper look at all of the possibilities this weekend.

Cheers
Old Dec 18th 2009, 10:36 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

There's always the house-boats on the river at BB. Tend to get booked up pretty early though as they're so popular, but they're great fun.

http://www.clyderiverhouseboats.com.au/

Have also stayed at the Pleasurelea in one of their waterfront cottages and they accomodation was first class and very reasonably priced.

http://www.pleasurelea.com.au
Old Dec 19th 2009, 9:14 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Hutch
There's always the house-boats on the river at BB. Tend to get booked up pretty early though as they're so popular, but they're great fun.

http://www.clyderiverhouseboats.com.au/

Have also stayed at the Pleasurelea in one of their waterfront cottages and they accomodation was first class and very reasonably priced.

http://www.pleasurelea.com.au
Thanks for your suggestions, Hutch.

The houseboats look great!